It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin - Days of Darkness ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

I see what your saying... looks like Elenin will be coming in behind us so we won't pass through it's tail. I'm going to humour this thread still because it could eclipse the sun for 3 days because it will be passing between the earth and the sun... no?
edit on 10-8-2011 by NWOPrimate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOPrimate

Are you speculating that a body about 100 billionth the size of the sun which bakes out the gas in the rocks and ice of it's makeup, to crate a highly light REFLECTIVE near vacuum of outgass, to somehow eclipse the light from the sun? Are you serious?

What kinds of books do you read?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Come on naysayers, not even a benefit of the doubt...

There are a a lot of prophecies from different societies who refer to something of significance around about this era, and on top of that we have local folklore back here in PNG. where our native elders talked also about such things that has been passed on for generations even before the missionaries arrived.

Our first contact with the western world was around 1910 era when the British missionary arrived. So yeah, there has to be something to this, that I for one cannot just ignore.

How do you explain that???

Remote societies almost in every culture, that speak of something significant with hardly any contact with each other...think about it.

Peace
edit on 10-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOPrimate
OH I totally agree! I've been saying that for while... The tail of ELENIN is apparently some 900,000km and I have a feeling will be pelting planet earth with huge amounts of space junk. I predict (not a real prediction) that we are going to sustain a huge amount of damage when ELENIN passes.
Good thead, S&F

Yes, it always happens when a cloud of smoke and dust crosses a multi-lane highway that cars collide with it, leaving piles of twisted metal.

... NOT.

And the tail of a comet is 1,000 times more tenuous than a cloud of smoke.

Do a little research, perhaps, and find out exactly if "going through the tail of a comet" is likely to be noticeable at all. After all, we have sent probes through the tail of comets and the Earth has been through Halley's tail. Find out what happened then.

Then you wouldn't post such nonsense, concerned with non-events.

Not only that, the tail is estimated to be 200,000 km long but the comet will be 21,000,000 miles away. The tail is not long enough to reach us.

Nor is the comet's orbit exactly on the plane of the Earth's orbit. The tail will never exactly point out way, anyway.

The premise that we will have some sort of apocalyptic problem from comet CX/2010 (Elenin) is nonsense, no matter which way you look at it.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOPrimate
reply to post by DJW001

I wouldn't be so certain. I know that the Mayans often talk of these 3 days of darkness (I went to Mexico/Guatemala and spoke with the Mayan people so i can confirm this myself)... and they say that they've lived through this before some 3000 yrs ago. I wouldn't be so quick to discount them.

As I see it, the Mayan calendar ends somewhere near 2012 and, on the other side of the globe and thousands of years earlier, the Sumerians had myths which have been re-interpreted recently as their gods arrive every 3600 years and cause us problems.

The fact that there are no historical issues afflicting the Earth every 3600 years is just a side issue.

Keep talking to them 3000 year old Mayans by all means but I suspect you are a nutter.

P.S: Hablas español?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Let you all know if I melt.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)
What,.. are you made of sugar?

I soooo cant wait for this thing to get here so all these delirious stories will cease..

But then there will be the next doom of 2012

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

What? Discussing ideas online is equivalent to looting stores?

Oh yes, the second line. Sometimes, one line is all you need. Y'know?
edit on 10-8-2011 by thinkingthing because: The second line!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

I have seen conflicting information all over the place. I don't know what to believe. But, there is something about this comet...

When preparing simply means stocking up on extra essentials, I don't see the harm. Unless you're itching for a reason to off yourself...

And if that is the case, please contact your local suicide hotline

suicidehotlines.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Originally posted by Manhater

Let you all know if I melt.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)
What,.. are you made of sugar?

I soooo cant wait for this thing to get here so all these delirious stories will cease..

But then there will be the next doom of 2012

Can't wait either...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
What's old is new again:

"Cashing In on the Comet" Time Magazine June 21,1985*

In the spring of 1910, when Halley's comet last blazed through the skies, some people were so afraid of the poisonous cyanogen vapors said to be in its tail that they barricaded themselves in their houses, sealing the windows and doors. As they cowered, they gulped down comet pills or sniffed on comet inhalers. Braver sorts wearing comet-shaped diamond hatpins or toting comet-knobbed walking canes flocked to rooftop parties at the old Waldorf-Astoria.

Source
*Note: The date on this link is incorrect - It says 2005 whereas the hard-copy article was actually from 1985.

"Ten Notable Apocalypses That (Obviously) Didn’t Happen" Smithsonian.com, November 12, 2009

7. Beware of Halley’s Comet

Comets have long been viewed as portents of doom—and the reappearance of Halley’s comet in 1910 was no exception. Early that year, British and Irish writers opined that the comet was a harbinger of a forthcoming invasion by Germany. Some Parisians blamed the comet for a massive flood of the Seine River that devastated their city.

But full-fledged panic would erupt when Chicago’s Yerkes Observatory announced in February 1910 that it had detected a poisonous gas called cyanogen in Halley’s tail. The New York Times reported that the noted French astronomer, Camille Flammarion believed the gas “would impregnate that atmosphere and possibly snuff out all life on the planet.”

Most scientists sought to reassure the public. The famed astronomer Percival Lowell explained that the gases making up Halley’s tail were “so rarefied as to be thinner than any vacuum.”

But the damage had already been done. People rushed to purchase gas masks and “comet pills.” The New York Times reported that “terror occasioned by the near approach of Halley’s comet has seized hold of a large part of the population of Chicago.” Likewise, the Atlanta Constitution reported that people in Georgia were preparing safe rooms and covering even keyholes with paper. (One man, the paper said, had “armed himself with a gallon of whiskey” and requested that friends lower him to the bottom of a dry well, 40 feet deep.)

After Halley’s passed by the Earth in May, the Chicago Tribune announced (unnecessarily) “We’re Still Here.” Not everyone, however, was caught up in the apocalyptic frenzy. Rooftop “comet parties” were all the rage in cities throughout the United States.

Source

So, dear ATS readers, stand-up and be counted!
When Comet Elenin comes, will you

1.) Cower in your air-tight safe-room, gulping anti-comet pills?*

B.) Hide in the bottom of well with a gallon of booze?*

III.) Use it as an excuse to party?**

d.) Be too busy with life to care?

* Don't forget your tin-foil hat!
** Star parties count, even if it's just you and your 'scope.

(I would have done this as a poll, but I didn't know how)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

You have to consider the source of the conflicting 'stories' about an indiscriminate comet passing near by. I wonder though, should a comet fully impact earth, what kinds of means or measures can you take to help you survive? I mean, you have some kind of 'system' to resurface a devastated planet and just start drinking water and eat plants and go down to the grocery store to buy milk and eggs and meat?

This sort of 'preparation' aspect always amazed me as to what you think you could do for what you think could happen.

Please explain, and tell us which grocery stores would still have fresh meat to eat! Sometimes I also like a bit of Szechwan sauce too!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

BRAAAAIIIINNNNSSS!!!
edit on 10-8-2011 by Saint Exupery because: brainsbrainsbrainsbrainsbrains

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

A festive gathering is always a grand Idea..
plenty of hot friends,.
in that bunker and booze some awesome trance music,..
turn up the heat.... oh let the fun begin.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

No i don't speak spanish... and as much as I'd like to pump it up to something it wasn't... I went on a Mayan Tour... with a tour guide across Guatemala, Belize and Mexico with 7 other tourists. They brought us to several Mayan villages and temples and we saw some of their celebrations, spoke to the people.. .many of which speak english in order to sell you stuff. Our tour guides told us about the 3 days of darkness at one point.
edit on 10-8-2011 by NWOPrimate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Wow. In the presence of such brilliance, I am not sure if I can contain myself.

I never mentioned "impact." Many proponents of the Electric Universe Theory believe that the most we have to fear, is a failure of the electric grid. Preparing for such seems a no-brainer. And hardly extraordinary.

I don't anticipate any grocery stores being open. Better stock up on your Szechwan sauce while you can.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

What? Discussing ideas online is equivalent to looting stores?

Are you saying ideas have no power?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Power? Yes. Enough to break down glass walls and rob people of their belongings? No.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Does anyone remember when NASA's JPL model showed Elenin coming really, really close to us? It was pretty crazy looking. I can't remember what month they changed its path, but it was a dramatic change compared to the 0.234 AU's on 17oct.

Pure speculation, but maybe it's path was changed on purpose
haha..

Anyway, just seeing if anyone remembers that.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Devino
reply to post by Vandalour

Here we go again...!

Sorry to disappoint you but Earth Will Not pass through Elenin's tail nor its coma!

In order for there to be such an alignment the comet would need to be crossing the Earth's orbital plane, called a node crossing, at the time of close approach. These nodes, there are two- descending and ascending, happen well before close approach, or called inferior conjunction. This "alignment" is called a solar transit and is actually rather rare. Mercury and Venus transit the Sun as well as does the Moon, which is called a solar eclipse. These solar transits last hours not days as your video is claiming.

Even if this comet did actually align properly, solar transit, it is way too far away to effect Earth. At closest approach Elenin will be around 0.23 AUs from Earth which is over 20 million miles. Its tail is no where near that long and its coma has been estimated at being around 200,000 Km which is also tens of millions of miles too small.

Space is a big three dimensional place and it would benefit us all to understand the subjects we are talking about here which is astronomical alignments. Once you understand orbital characteristics and astronomical alignments you will see that Earth will not pass through Elenin's tail. The video you posted is garbage made out of ignorance and is a waste of our time.

Addition; The last time Earth passed through a comet's tail was Halley's comet in 1910.

Earth’s orbit carried it through the end of the comet’s 24-million-mile-long tail for six hours on May 19
Notice 6 hours rather than 60-70.
edit on 8/10/2011 by Devino because: (no reason given)

DJW001 and Devino, Riddle me this?

As a comet travels, it's tail, or one of it's tails, always points away from the sun, Correct?

Would that mean then that on Sept 27, when Elenin is in between the Sun and Earth that one of it's tails will be pointing away from the sun, which in turn means it will be blasting our planet?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Elenin will not pass between the Sun and the Earth.
On September 25-26, when the comet is horizontally aligned with the Sun, it will be above the ecliptic. It will cross the ecliptic about two weeks before that.

edit on 8/10/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join