It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McConnell and Boehner picks for 'Super Congress'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican leader in the US Senate, has picked Sen. Pat Toomey (PA), Sen. Jon Kyl (AZ), and Rob Portman (OH) for the 'Super Congress'. Speaker of the House John Boehner also has made his picks of David Camp (MI), Fred Upton (MI), and Job Hensarling (TX).

There is no link as of yet but when there is one I will post it. This was seen on FOX Business channel a few moments ago.

My opinion of the Senate selections is rather positive, I am especially surprised to see that Sen. Pat Toomey was selected seeing as how he is a hard-line Tea Party Republican. The House selections by Boehner are relatively unknowns so I will have to look into them further.
edit on 8/10/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It doesn't really matter who they pick as this "SuperCongress" was only formed to place the blame on nothing getting done. Now instead of the entire Congress looking horribly inefficient all they have to do is say it's the "SuperCongress's" fault for not coming up with workable solutions.

This is a very obvious way for them to try and keep their jobs.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The only thing "super" about this is the supreme arrogance and unconstitutionality of what was hidden within the budget agreement.
Bypassing the rest of Congress to defer to some super-committee destroys whatever shreds of real representation the people have in the entire budget process.
This also give Obama the automatic ability to raise the debt ceiling arbitrarily.
Welcome to the new Politburo of the United States.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Your information is incorrect. In no way does anything bypass Congress in fact anything they submit must go through Congress the same as any other legislation.

Here is the actual bill:

rules.house.gov...

Feel free to read it and find anything not Constitutional in there.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
The only thing "super" about this is the supreme arrogance and unconstitutionality of what was hidden within the budget agreement.
Bypassing the rest of Congress to defer to some super-committee destroys whatever shreds of real representation the people have in the entire budget process.
This also give Obama the automatic ability to raise the debt ceiling arbitrarily.
Welcome to the new Politburo of the United States.

So, it was hidden in the budget agreement, yet openly spoken of as a highlight of the same package? Come on.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Title IV of the Budget Control Act vests in that joint select committee the power to draft legislation to reduce the deficit by at least $1.5 trillion over the period of fiscal years 2012 to 2021.

Here, members of Congress yield their individual legislative duties and responsibilities to a "Super Congress" selected not by the people -- but by Republican and Democrat leaders.

Source - www.americanthinker.com...

Allowing only 12 of our 535 elected representatives to control our National budget is Unconstitutional as if defers the decision making to a group created by both political parties and not the people.

According to Article I, Section 7, before an act can become a law, it must first be passed as a bill by the House of Representatives and the Senate. Thus, any action taken to authorize the borrowing of money on the credit of the United States - whether such action is a formal bill or a vote or resolution -- must be initiated by Congress and, then, presented to the President for his veto or signature. This bill creates what it calls a "Debt Ceiling Disapproval Process" whereby the constitutional process is reversed.

This is an egregious bypassing of Constitutional procedure. No committee should have the power originally vested in the entire Congress.

Hidden or not, I'm guessing most Americans are not aware of the practical application of the procedures laid out or how it make a joke of representative Democracy.

Ron Paul's take on it:

The creation of a 12 member committee to preside over $1.5 trillion in spending decisions, and the exclusion of the rest of Congress also means lobbying firms can focus their efforts on an anointed few, which is certainly more manageable for them than having to deal with the entire Congress.

Making life easier for lobbyists, and the people come in where exactly?.

Source - paul.house.gov...:super-congress-a-gift-to-k-street&catid=62:texas-straight-talk&Itemid=69

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Yes except the "SuperCongress" does not put into law anything they submit. That power rests with the full Congress. The "SuperCongress" can do nothing without approval of an up or down vote which will never happen until the majority of Congress agrees that the bill is acceptable to them.

Therefore they will have to keep changing it to secure enough votes for passage exactly like any other legislation submitted to Congress.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Go Toomey! A surprise pick to me, but the author of cap,cut, and balance. One of the few I will trust and have met him. he is a straight shooter for now.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
sorry but i dont trust nothing congress does

evertime i have put my faith in doing the right thing has slapped me and everyone else in this country in the face time and time agian.

super congress republicans or democrats you cant put lipstick on a pig and cutting 1.5 trillion over a period 9 or 10 years and after the current potus may or may not leave.

that works out to what 100 billion per year and when the biggest effects of obama care has still come into effect and the increased costs to social security medicare and medicad.

the left will defend tooth and nail entitlements and cut defense and that will put more people and destroy trillions of wealth.

the right will defend tooth and nail to cut entitlements that wont ever happen.

there will be only one thing cut and that will be defense which will be a supermistake considering the state of the economy and the millions of americans who make their living in the support role and those who are tasked with fight and dieing for walmart prices,

this country sickens me to my stomach anymore aint noone has a lick of common sense
edit on 10-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join