It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec Takes Responsibility and Pays $3 Million Redress for 1950s and 60s Inuit Dog Slaughter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Quebec Takes Responsibility and Pays $3 Million Redress for 1950s and 60s Inuit Dog Slaughter

i ndiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com

The Inuit of Quebec will receive $3 million in compensation from the provincial government for the harm caused to their way of life by the slaughter of up to 1,000 sled dogs, or qimmiit, in the 1950s and 1960s, according to an agreement signed on August 8.

Jean Charest, premier of Quebec, signed the agreement personally with the Makivik Corp., a non-profit Inuit organization, to acknowledge that killing the Inuit’s primary means of transportation stripped them of their ability to hunt, trap
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
homepage.mac.com

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
An inquest found that during the 1950's and 60's at least 1,000 dogs were gassed, poisoned or shot in Nunavik by representatives of the federal and provincial governments.

depriving these people of their ability to hunt, trap and fish, and thus had lasting, detrimental effects on their way of life...

the full report on just what happened and why is unclear... cited were health and safety concerns... so rather than deal with a few dog droppings they killed the animals and made life very hard for a people who need their sled dogs to survive up north like they do...

the full report can be found BY CLICKING HERE...
Final Report of the
Honorable Jean-Jacques Croteau
Retired Judge of the Superior Court
Regarding the Allegations Concerning the Slaughter of
Inuit Sled Dogs in Nunavik
(1950 – 1970)
but don't go looking for clear cut answers to why.... only that it was done

i ndiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

the full report on just what happened and why is unclear... cited were health and safety concerns... so rather than deal with a few dog droppings they killed the animals and made life very hard for a people who need their sled dogs to survive up north like they do...

Why is unclear is only because it was all about control. Just like the residential schools, TPTB were trying to force a different lifestyle on the people.

My son's grandmother is native and was in one of those schools. They were taught to speak "without their native accent". If the native accent came out, the kids got a smack from those wonderful nuns and teachers.

The Inuit were forced away from their dogs and onto snowmobiles. Too bad the snowmobile cannot help hunt or help keep a person safe. I'm glad they're finally getting some apologies

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

When I said the report is unclear as to why....
we all know why.... they just don't want to admit they wanted the natives to assimilate or die...

PS I myself got rapped on the knuckles with a wooden yard stick by more than one teacher in my wild and woolly days... And if Mrs. Spizzo from my 3rd grade class is still alive and you happen to read this... I still think your a bitch

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They can pay for dogs , yet the USA can't even play black people.

Lmao jk, good story.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
And again the people can pay for the results of the conspiracies by corrupted corporate politicians that walk free.

This small victory has a bitter taste.

top topics

join