It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition To Ban Gender Discrimination On This Site

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I say we end these gender bashing posts. I want to be able to recommend ATS as an upstanding and very interesting forum, and not worry that my female counterparts will be offended by the constant berating and condescending posts. Lets ban these sort of posts in a community effort to end this type of discrimination. We need to appear both intelligent and unbiased to be taken seriously. So, join me in a petition to end this gender discrimination, both Male and Female.
edit on 10-8-2011 by marklancedance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by marklancedance

Sign me up.

I agree, there's too much of it going on on this site as of late, good to see some one finally standing up and saying some thing

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Bashing anyone for their gender, race or religion and even their age... is wrong.

I am also bewildered by great number of childish and gratuitously offensive topics that seem to slip by the censors and sully the sites representation for fair, honest and productive dialogue.

Hopefully this will begin a trend of respect for all men and women who want to take part in the site.

Respect cannot be legislated however... either you have it or you don't.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I'm not disagreeing with you but could you please give some examples (aside from the recent post by that 16 yr old kid wanting to know if there r any smart girls on ats - clumsy adolescent attempt at finding a like minded girl.)
There is quite a lot of discrimination on here from time to time.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

have never noticed anything at all sexist here,especially as most of the avatars/usernames are pretty androgynous.gender does not play a role in my snap judgement of whether someone is male,female or wear bi-curious shoes.
but can i just add... Q."why do some women wear make up and perfume?"
A."because they are ugly and they smell"

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Can you be more specific and tell us an instance where there is discrimination here based on gender? ATS is known as a site that is too critical of Obama but it never came to my attention that there is also discrimination here based on gender. An isolated thread promoting gender discrimination doesn't make ATS guilty of promoting or tolerating gender discrimination.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

This is no court case that requires hard evidence. I have been on this site for years and believe me there is no ATS member that has not seen many posts that described either gender derogatorily. As such, these types of forum topics certainly add a measure of questionability to our discussions. Lets get back to our goal, hopefully that encompasses good investigative skills.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
We maintain the site based upon the Terms and Conditions. If you see a post that violates it, alert on it. Whatever needs to be done is already covered in the T&C. You don't need a petition or any other call to action, other than the Alert button.

We need specifics in the form of an Alert to staff. Anything else is shadow boxing.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Fundamentally, ATS is a marketplace of ideas.

When we add to the ever-growing list of things "we don't talk about" we simply lessen the relevance of ATS. Making us more politically correct means making us less interesting.

If you could be guaranteed that you'd never see an offensive post on ATS, it would be achieved on the same day that ATS had become a blog that you produce and edit yourself.

And you'll be the only one who reads it.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Yes; Lets create a rule (law) about not "hurting feelings..."
include anti "teaparty" & anti republican" rants
Those hurt my feelings every time I log on..

( Lets legislate "Good behavior"and empathizing with others:
Something people used to have incorporated in their "character." )

"Back in the day"( pre "jersey shore") rude loud people were simply friendless...

"legislating" behavior: (Nancy Pelosi would be so proud...).

edit on 10-8-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I havent seen any threads of which you speak of as of late please enlighten me

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I'm in agreement as well that discrimination (racial, religious, gender/orientation, etc) is unacceptable, but I have not seen gender discrimination on ATS yet. Maybe I'm reading the wrong threads...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Just a quick bit of housekeeping.

We don't permit threads about threads, or about other members. Let's please not turn this into a link farm of threads or posts people think are discriminatory.

Again, if you think a post violates the T&C, and I believe this would be the relevant section-

16) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, libelous, defamatory, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

please use the Alert feature.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
This is good hearted thread not meant to offend anyone. If you need an example >SNIP< I'm not really sure how this thread could be more offensive than the other I have linked. Regards
edit on 8/10/2011 by yeahright because: Edit to remove link

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Again, we're not turning this into a review about what you think of specific threads or posts. If you have something that violates the T&C, use the alert. If it doesn't violate the T&C, then your recourse is to avoid it if you find it personally objectionable.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You can ban me if you like. However, I still find these threads objectionable. I think this is a legitimate complaint. Look this is not accusation merely a concern, and perhaps more so, as evident in the reaction I have encountered. I love this site, it is my bread and butter, however perhaps derogatory teenage angst threads should not make your TOP list. Of course, I will not try to offend any further a 16 year olds right to diminish respect towards women, that would just be wrong.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Ban you? Geez, lighten up. You're voicing your concern, aren't you? There's a reason we have an Alert function and a Suggestion/Complaint function. there's also an entire forum for Board Business and Questions. You have ample opportunity to express your opinions. What we aren't going to do is create a thread for people to "call out" other threads or members. There are Terms and Conditions for a reason.

We'll never, ever be able to have a site where every post meets with the individual criteria of every member. That's just the way it goes. If it violates the T&C, it'll be addressed. If it doesn't, it's up to you to ignore those threads and posts, or counter them in said thread with an on-topic T&C compliant post of your own.

That's how it's always been, and that's how it will continue to be. It's a buffet. No one said you have to like everything on the table. What you can't do is have items removed just because you don't like them. There has to be a compelling reason supported by the T&C, and we're are as diligent as possible in addressing those issues as they're brought to our attention.

In the meantime, it's a big table with a wide selection. If you have an honest complaint that needs to be addressed, complain to the managers, not the customers.
edit on 8/10/2011 by yeahright because: Typo

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Ok I get it. Thanks for the replies, sorry I get annoyed when when I see these posts. Do you not think they are insidious? I am a school teacher and actually a woman, so I get venomously irritated by such ignorance. Hope this at least made a discussion viable at the next meeting. Thanks

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

We have petitions to ban stuff here? Awesome!!

Can we ban Racists too?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
i think racism and gender bashing are overrated. who cares, only humans can make up such foolish gestures that only exists within the context of our own individual minds. everyone just needs to chill out and realize that everyone comes from a different life and or culture. even hating on the racists is racist because thats how they were raised, and how their culture is. getting rid of it is no different than having it. its another moral cluster >SNIP

top topics

<<   2 >>

join