It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comments by strangers - do you feel like turning around and replying to them?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

I have edited my post to include more detail about the system.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
meh, I just turn around and grin

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
reply to post by creatureme

I don't confront them or accuse them. I simply walk up to them and start talking to them...introduce myself and ask them how are they doing? Maybe mention the weather..."Did you get any rain last night?"

This leads to where they live...and being well traveled, I generally know something of most areas...so then I ask them about that area or a particular landmark...this usually leads to someone we both kbnow.

I ask questions and let them do the talking...most people like to talk abouth themselves...and I pay compliments also...

So after about 3-5 minutes...I have a friend or someone that is uncomfortable with having so much in common with me...in their mind, it says more about them than me...LOL.

Kill Them With Kindness....

It's magic!
Ok, i gonna try this next time
Don't like to be rude to other people even how much they have hurt me.. And agree.. most people always like to talk about themselves and often the whole conversation is always about them..

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Great question!

I do, and I do! This has led to some incredible discussions and deeply intimate revelations in just momentary conversations.

It's like, just for a moment of time, we drop all other social requirements for friendship and confession, and actually become FREE to be ourselves, anonymously, yet face-to-face.

Truly remarkable, and only happens at "random" moments. I appreciate what people share, too, because they have no emotional or social investment with me, so no need to lie. It seems less encumbered.

Like we only say what matters, and as quickly as possible. It has amazed me to learn things about people and then consider that we may have been near each other and never ever known these interesting, fascinating people all around us.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Quite often I am struck by a comment or conversation that gives me the irresistible urge to say something. I usually interject politely by saying something like "I'm sorry but I couldn't help but hear you say..." Most people are quite receptive and will engage in conversation with you too.

The reality is that if you are polite and respectful, people will want to listen to what you have to say. I've made 2 friends and a bundle of acquaintances in this manner. Seems that some people are just downright lonely and are open to the opportunity of constructive intelligent conversation.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Actually I respond to strangers all the time. yesterday the sis and I ate at Olive Garden. Five of the jerk waiters were congregating by our table to chit chat. So my sister turned around and began nodding her head and going, muh huh and yeah! and one asked her if she needed anything. I sat back, in awe of how little time it took for one of these fish to take the chum.

"Oh, gosh no, I was just enjoying your conversation!" she replied with a canary smile on her face. I leaned in, ready to go after the response came.

"Oh, Ok! Cool!" The jerk responded happily, as he finished his tall tale of the three hot chicks and the napkin full of numbers. At the first lull, I loudly inqured,

"is that your breakroom?"

One said yes, I said no. I said,

"No, no it is not."

They all moved, sullenly.

Somestimes, a good public buttinsky is warranted for smoother social sailing. it is an adults duty to pown lazy youngsters like this, it may possibly be the spark that says to them, oh my tip may be bigger if I don't annoy the patrons!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

If I do not have a close personal relationship with a person....then I don't really care what they say about me....and...If these strangers are talking about me.....I just think...."Well...if they are talking about me..at least they are leaving everyone else alone.." If you like yourself and you know what you are about...and these people are strangers and not close to you....I would just ...ignore them...and put your time and energy into people who know and love you.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by Partygirl
Pull out your cell phone (or make pretend with your wallet or something if you don't have one) and start talking about them.

Because that is what the man named jesus would do....

Like I give a # about WWJD, He lived and died 2000 and 11 years ago and 1972 years before I was born and The bible is a nice story, but that's all it is...sheesh, besides we are human and Who the heck wants to be so boring and holy?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
In the small community where I live, the only thing people have to do is talk about each other. Some of the ladies that were in my husband circle before I ever showed up decided to make me out to be "the bad guy" in any and all situations. They were laughing at me behind my back, spreading rumors...the usual catty little woman stuff. I knew it was directed at me, so I confronted one of the ladies. She got the point and stopped. I did it in a nice way though.
Then last week I found out that my husband had done the same to this lady in front of her husband and friends, (I didn't know about it when it happened) so I am guessing that's why she directed her hatred towards me. And not that this has any bearing what so ever, but this woman claims to be a Christian. I like to think I am just functioning on a higher plane those people, and generally pay no mind to them at all. (This situation in questions was about my family so I had to act)

If you know they ARE talking about, then I would confront them. Do it in a nice mannerly way without getting upset. It always throws people of guard when you are nice about it.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
To the OP...I know Exactly what you are talking about and I used to confront these people all the time when I was in my teens till about 25 (I'm 30 now) While it was fun and led to quite a few brawls which I was arrested for along with other participants (It was worth it) I suggest take in your surroundings first. As I recently moved to Vallejo CA, I learned that if I even just turned to ask if they said something I misunderstood these guys here will shoot you...I'm subjected to all kinds of racial comments in stores/streets...I've lost about 8 friends over the course of last 2 years because they didn't pay attention to the environment surrounding the situation...Meaning while you ask this group of kids/young adults what they said there very well could be a few of them in cars coming up behind you. I was recently jumped by 2 carloads of people and I didnt even know what was happening, they just pulled up and started beating on a friend and I for being white in their neighborhood...An I dont wanna hear anybody say oh thats just you placing blame on racism...HA!!!! thats what they 1 yelled at us when they were jumping back in cars an we were picking ourselves up from the pavement.Vallejo went Bankrupt a year ago and has 100000 people in it with no schooling and no police force so it's completely nuts here.But on the other side of the San Francisco Bay where I lived if you were to turn an ask what they said you would have 30 Norteno's or Sureno's depending on what street you're on start whistling and stabbing you...So Be careful where you chose to pick a potential Battle because that's generally what it leads to an I was never the Fastest runner so I didnt try and I have scars galore to prove it...I've even had my head stapled back together...Justa FYI they are insulting you in hopes of getting that response of you trying to confront them. I guess it gives them "stripes" in their gang or street credit with friends....Good Luck be safe

P.S. I'm White if Anybody was wondering...And Vallejo is predominantly black
edit on 10-8-2011 by NewsWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
One other story in this thread reminded me of something that happened when I was pregnant with my second child. An older woman said something to her friend I couldn't hear what she said but she had been pointing at me so I knew it was about me and I had my first child in a stroller he was only about 6 months old. I, to the embarrassment of the friend that was with me, said "excuse me, what were you saying to your friend and pointing at me for?" She said "well you can't be no more than 16 and your kid can't be more then six months old and you're on your second child?" I said "actually I get that all teh time and I am 23!" She was like "REALLY?" then my friend interjected "YUP" lol even though she was extrememly uncomfortable that I approached the lady. We ended up chatting awhile, and then she told me I was going to have a girl I already knew that though because I had the ultrasound. But she did apologize and we ended up chatting so there ya go!Sometimes it is jsut a simple misunderstanding!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Actually I respond to strangers all the time. yesterday the sis and I ate at Olive Garden. Five of the jerk waiters were congregating by our table to chit chat. So my sister turned around and began nodding her head and going, muh huh and yeah! and one asked her if she needed anything. I sat back, in awe of how little time it took for one of these fish to take the chum.

That's an awesome story. I don't see how it's similar though, as you've described interjecting into a conversation that had nothing to do with you other than being an annoyance, where as the OP is saying people as saying stuff specifically for him to hear, but working it into their conversations.

If this happened a few times here and there I'd say get a hearing test. If it happens "all the time" as suggested, well, I hate to say it, but that is a sign of mental illness.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Really, I only get a hard time with females because I am physically attractive (did not say i'm pretty on the inside
).. when men talk they can be inconspicuous or at least do it in a nonthreatening way. Creeping from across the room, okay no problem, they are too afraid to approach me anyway.. The women like to be in earshot and do it maliciously. They will say things like "bimbo", "she's a bitch", "her laugh is weird" and this a lot coming from people I have barely said hello to. I usually make sure to stare and make eye contact and when they finally stop pretending to not look, I will ask "I can hear you, do you have something to say?" Normally girls will just scoff and turn around, but the more feisty ones will talk, to which I just smile encouragingly and nod, like I would to a child, until they get frustrated with my lack of reaction and give up.

Sheep feeding off of drama, that's all it is. People find something in you they envy, and then try to tear down the rest of you so they don't have to focus on their own pathetic flaws. The better you make yourself, the more they target you. Especially lone wolves like myself.. They can sense your self sufficiency, your independence.. Try to make you inferior for not being part of a group.. It's silly.

I guess I am what they may call paraoid.. But I don't know about the rest of you, but I catch a LOT of people staring, not talking but just randomly looking at me. I could be anywhere and look up across a crowded room and see someone looking at me. It gets eerie at times because it is something that happens multiple times daily. I feel their eyes. I usually have to leave quickly because I feel so awkward.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm not a paranoid. But I do have a peeve about people out in public. This happens to me alot. A total stranger will be grinning at me and say, hi, or how are you, greetings like that. Excuse me, but I don't know you, and you don't know me. It appears you are by nature, a gregarious social person, but I ---totally--- am not. Just leave me alone so I can scurry to the SaveALot and get my toilet paper on sale, and then scurry back home. Geez. You all types make my skin crawl. I don't mean to sound mean and hatefull, but there it be, I is what I is.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

"Oh, gosh no, I was just enjoying your conversation!" she replied with a canary smile on her face. I leaned in, ready to go after the response came.

"Oh, Ok! Cool!" The jerk responded happily, as he finished his tall tale of the three hot chicks and the napkin full of numbers. At the first lull, I loudly inqured,

"is that your breakroom?"

One said yes, I said no. I said,

"No, no it is not."

They all moved, sullenly.

Somestimes, a good public buttinsky is warranted for smoother social sailing. it is an adults duty to pown lazy youngsters like this, it may possibly be the spark that says to them, oh my tip may be bigger if I don't annoy the patrons!

Hope you enjoyed the floor spice and phlem in your roast beef sandwich. It's my personal rule to absolutely kiss the butt of anybody who handles my food.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I talk # back to them, majority of the time if they don't have the balls to say it to your face, then they won't have the balls to get physical.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
Im sure you are familiar with it, comments made my strangers, disguised into general conversation, designed to make an observation, embarass or ridicule, where the one hearing the conversation knows that they are being talked about, however, does not have the actual words to be able to make a retort.

It happens to me everwhere - they are so pathetic, every single thing that is outside of thier little bubble is a threat, they believe they have some kind of authority because of the synchronicity of thier mind-control matrix allows for them to make revealing comments that almost appear to be ahead of time.

It happens to you everywhere, really? I can't remember an instance of that happening to me, but, then, you would be unlikely to even see me in a crowd. Is there something about you that makes you stand out, like purple hair, a hundred piercings, or something?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think the time for Bravery like that is like Real Estate.....Location Location Location

edit on 10-8-2011 by NewsWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by Partygirl
reply to post by mileysubet

No, its what this imperfect sinner would do

And this time yuo mentioned Him, not me...

Truth be told I'm having a hard time maintaining a combatitive stance with somebody who is so green and smiley...peace.

Nice deflection.

Are you not a person of the bible, as assumed in many of your posts?

Do you not speak as a person of your god?

Do you not represent a idealistic version of humanity, in your gods name?
edit on 10-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

You for sure are unable the text before your own eyes.
Party girl has writen, clearly - her - Christian point of view.
Because her answer is obviously coming from the "Gods Person"

And you are childischly unpolite pointing to her believs etc... what you want to prove? or you try to be smart/funny at the same time??
-Try the same childish tactics with someone from the minorities or with a person of the orthodox or islamic religion... You will by flamed by all the "tolerant " folks, the mods included...

Last but not least: do someone answering a Troll, on a internet forum, even so formidable as ATS, need to put bevore and maybe besides signature her/his beliefs, religion etc etc ??

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Never make someone a priority when they only think
of you as an option.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join