It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comments by strangers - do you feel like turning around and replying to them?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
so perhaps dropping a hint if it's right, would be best.

As long as your sure the comment was directed towards you, yes.

Really sure... haha. Or you'll just look like a jerk. My brothers girlfriends sisters parrot told me that.....

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012
How do you know if they are actually referring to you in the first place, when they don't directly reply to you....???

They could be referring to what you may have said, but not really directed at you..

It's the internet everyone's a stranger...

Peace

Here's the thing with that. some people do this particular activity because THEY...and they alone, don't think that anyone could possibly think they are talking *about* them or *to* them if they are not speaking directly to them.

that's being very carelessly self assured. people shouldn't go around just taking people for morons... they might get a big surprise. the fact is, there is this thing called intuition and it is WAY too complicated for me to talk about in this post... sometimes it's just paranoia, sometimes it's just narcissism.... BOTH things to try to avoid, but when people do this so frequently we ALL know good and well that sometimes, it's neither. After people have done it to you for years on end, you might even just get better at distinguishing it from normal conversation. that's just all there is to it.

A smart person has already considered that it might not be about them, but a smart person also can determine when it is.... and smart people do exist.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosMagician

How do you know if they are actually referring to you in the first place, when they don't directly reply to you....???

They could be referring to what you may have said, but not really directed at you..

Peace

Here's the thing with that. some people do this particular activity because THEY...and they alone, don't think that anyone could possibly think they are talking *about* them or *to* them if they are not speaking directly to them.

that's being very carelessly self assured. people shouldn't go around just taking people for morons... they might get a big surprise. the fact is, there is this thing called intuition and it is WAY too complicated for me to talk about in this post... sometimes it's just paranoia, sometimes it's just narcissism.... BOTH things to try to avoid, but when people do this so frequently we ALL know good and well that sometimes, it's neither. After people have done it to you for years on end, you might even just get better at distinguishing it from normal conversation. that's just all there is to it.

A smart person has already considered that it might not be about them, but a smart person also can determine when it is.... and smart people do exist.

That is based simply on assumptions, and that may very well qualify as being paranoid. It's best not to assume it being a personal attack, it could very well or have being an innocent indirect reference with no pun intended.

In such circumstances, I think it's best to see it as an opinion rather than a personal attack, I would suggest.

Nonetheless, never let anyone's opinion affect you.

Peace
edit on 10-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

I usually just turn around, lift up my shirt to show them their possible fate, and then give them a Charles Manson face.

JK... don't mind them, they don't know who you truly are, much less who they truly are.

Peace.

edit on 10-8-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Peace

That is based simply on assumptions, and that may very well qualify as being paranoid. It's best not to assume it being a personal attack, it could very well or have being an innocent indirect reference with no pun intended.

In such circumstances, I think it's best to see it as an opinion rather than a personal attack, I would suggest.

Peace

and what I'm trying to tell you is "no sh!t"

people already know this who know they are being talked about. i didn't say EVERYBODY... I didn't say ANY TIME IT HAPPENS.

no duh it could be PARANOIA... it could also be REEEEEEAL.

get it now?..... and some people know the difference.

what i'm telling you is your "what if" ...has all been considered by many people who who have the intuition to know they are being talked about.

I just goddamn repeated myself for #s sake.

edit on 10-8-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The only time it was really bad for me was when I was 8-9 months pregnant. I had men make really loud ugly comments about me being so fat or being a (female word for dog) about to drop puppies. Men I didn't know would look at me with contempt and I was NOT paranoid. I was so pregnant, lol. Anyway they really hurt. And thing is, now I am actually heavier and they don't say that- I guess it was the huge belly as I had a 10 pound baby boy.
But I've known other pregnant women that confided to me that people would say alot of mean things to them.

When I worked in mental health care, we had a lot of chronically mentally ill patients with real weird hangups about pregnancy. It could get very dangerous for pregnant employees b/c of this. A few of the patients would be really protective of pregnant employees, but some of the women would get jealous or say that someone stole the baby out of their belly and some of the men would just want to hit pregnant employees.

I think that weirdness carries over to the general population where pregnancy is concerned.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

My apologies if I may have sounded rude...it wasn't intended to be taken as such.
I misunderstood you the first time.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

My apologies if I have may sounded rude...it wasn't intended to be taken as such.

No need to apologize, it wasn't rude, it was more like one of my nephews sticking his fingers in his ears and saying "NYA NYA I'm not listening... I can't hear you,,,I'm not paying attention...Nyaaa Nyaaa!"

i've been getting that a lot lately and unfortunately the only thing I can do about it is bitch!

If I find out you are trolling me though to see how many times I would repeat myself I'm going to have to hunt you down, ok?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
He wouldn't judge them, he'd love them and would go into a conversationwith them. Not out of frustration but in a caring way. Talking about others in a way the op describes (i'm very familiar with it, I hear it often about my looks) is a hint of frustration. What good is it to "sneaky" talk about/judge others without knowing them?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by Partygirl
Pull out your cell phone (or make pretend with your wallet or something if you don't have one) and start talking about them.

Because that is what the man named jesus would do....

A little passive aggressive, that comment. I got the distinct impression that you were trying to be snide. Doesn't help anyone.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
What are people saying?

I've had a few experiences where random people would make a stupid comment about something I did, something I said, something I was wearing, etc. I confronted them every time, they usually just say they were joking and apologize.

A friend called me up and asked if I wanted to go out and get something to eat with him, I didn't feel like putting shoes on so I threw on a pair of sandals. My buddy and I were waiting for a table in the waiting area and this gay guy said to one of his friends/lovers with him "Ssssandals and Jeanssss OMIGOD"

I turned around, and quite loudly, said "ARE YOU FKIN SERIOUS!?" This guy and his boy toys were dressed in the most ridiculous outfits I've ever seen and he's talking crap about me wearing jeans and sandals? They just stared at me, so I said "Leather pantsss and cowboy bootsss OMIGOD" in a mocking voice. They looked a bit frustrated and left.

Some people just can't keep to themselves, and take everyone else for a coward. Show them you're not just going to sit there and take it. Odds are these types of people have done this to other people than you, so if enough people stand up for themselves maybe they'll get the idea and cut that chit out.

I do want to caution people though, a few replies in this thread make me think a few of you are really paranoid

"It started happening after 9/11" "They are stealing my energies"

Kinda "out there" stuff. Not saying this in a rude way, but you're not that important. If you think people are talking about you all the time you might be one of those mentally unstable people who refer to themselves as "targeted individuals"

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

My apologies if I have may sounded rude...it wasn't intended to be taken as such.

No need to apologize, it wasn't rude, it was more like one of my nephews sticking his fingers in his ears and saying "NYA NYA I'm not listening... I can't hear you,,,I'm not paying attention...Nyaaa Nyaaa!"

i've been getting that a lot lately and unfortunately the only thing I can do about it is bitch!

If I find out you are trolling me though to see how many times I would repeat myself I'm going to have to hunt you down, ok?

Come on easy on me, I'm no natural English speaker. Somethings it's hard to make meaning of posts.

Hack, I can speak 4 different language's so it's hard somethings.

Don't worry about me trolling, that won't happen for sure.

Peace

edit on 10-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: forget, actually 4 different languages...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
The only time it was really bad for me was when I was 8-9 months pregnant. I had men make really loud ugly comments about me being so fat or being a (female word for dog) about to drop puppies. Men I didn't know would look at me with contempt and I was NOT paranoid. I was so pregnant, lol. Anyway they really hurt. And thing is, now I am actually heavier and they don't say that- I guess it was the huge belly as I had a 10 pound baby boy.
But I've known other pregnant women that confided to me that people would say alot of mean things to them.

When I worked in mental health care, we had a lot of chronically mentally ill patients with real weird hangups about pregnancy. It could get very dangerous for pregnant employees b/c of this. A few of the patients would be really protective of pregnant employees, but some of the women would get jealous or say that someone stole the baby out of their belly and some of the men would just want to hit pregnant employees.

I think that weirdness carries over to the general population where pregnancy is concerned.

Want to share also, have two stories from 'both ''sides''.

When I was younger i was walking to a busstop with a friend from school, and this lady was walking towards us. She was incredibly skinny and my friend made a comment about it followed by a laugh. As she was about to pass us, she stopped us and started crying. She told us she had been anorectic for many years and was really struggeling with this problem. She really made us feel bad, and im glad she did. I never talk about other people exepct for in my own home. It's really cruel to talk about people even when you think they can't hear you. You don't know what experiences they have had, and you might end up hurting them so much that the outcome could be deadly.

A couple of years ago i was about to have lunch in a resturant garden, i was alone and there was two ladies sitting 5 meters away from me. As i ordered i noticed they were looking at me. Normal behaviour, looking at people. While i was waiting for my dish they openly started to make comments about me. I got emberrased, starting to write textmessages to my boyfriend to have something to make me occupied. And when he answered, they loudly started to makes comments about how important i was, and so on, laughing and purposely looking directly at me. Grown women. In their 40's. I felt sick, and my selfasteem was really confused. I am not paranoid, i notice often when people make a comment about me or one of my friends. It's dugusting what people do to make them feel better about themselves..

edit on 10-8-2011 by creatureme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I like it.

I have strangers comment on me all the time. Sometimes because of my colourful clothing and almost always because of my hair... it's VERY bright purples, blues and green and I have rainbow beads threaded through it.

Old ladies and men telling me they love my hair and wish they had done that when they were younger. Women my age wishing their boss would allow bright hair / clothes..... I'm lucky and work for myself and I'm a cool boss lmao

I love it when children tug at their parents and in a loud stage whisper say "Mama... look... look at that ladies hair!!!" I get upset when parents chastise their children by saying "It's rude to comment, stop staring shut up" etc etc... I always reply with "If I didn't want to be noticed I wouldn't colour my hair like this"

Speak to strangers... why not... it's the ONLY way to make friends as all friends started off as strangers.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Come on easy on me, I'm no natural English speaker. Somethings it's hard to make meaning of posts.

Hack, I can speak three 3 different language's so it's hard somethings.

Don't worry about me trolling, that won't happen for sure.

Peace

I do forget things like that.... I've just been so frustrated lately. Half the things going on around me, I can't hardly even care about because I'm so caught up in other things... like what is going on in the world and my growing impatience with certain things. Lot's of things seem like nothing more than stumbling blocks and I'm like
WHO PUT THIS FRAKING BLOCK HERE.

3 languages is an accomplishment but I'll be sure to cut you some extra slack on any misunderstanding... and the rest of my craziness you might just want to ignore.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
oh dear... sad to read others have had bad experiences. I have had some negative comments but I am luckily strong enough to shrug them off. My daughter isn't and often gets upset by what she 'thinks' are people talking about her. I am working on her 'don't give a hoot' attitude with her.

As an aside I am friends with quite a well known metal band and it was their lead singers birthday this weekend. While at the party I walked passed some 'fans' at the bar and one of them said to the others "Hippie hair! Not very metal is it?"... it made me giggle... especially as the lead singer of the band has really conservative hair and was at his own party in faded, saggy, jogging bottoms!!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by creatureme

Originally posted by hadriana

Want to share also, have two stories from 'both ''sides''.

When I was younger i was walking to a busstop with a friend from school, and this lady was walking towards us. She was incredibly skinny and my friend made a comment about it followed by a laugh. As she was about to pass us, she stopped us and started crying. She told us she had been anorectic for many years and was really struggeling with this problem. She really made us feel bad, and im glad she did. I never talk about other people exepct for in my own home. It's really cruel to talk about people even when you think they can't hear you. You don't know what experiences they have had, and you might end up hurting them so much that the outcome could be deadly.

A couple of years ago i was about to have lunch in a resturant garden, i was alone and there was two ladies sitting 5 meters away from me. As i ordered i noticed they were looking at me. Normal behaviour, looking at people. While i was waiting for my dish they openly started to make comments about me. I got emberrased, starting to write textmessages to my boyfriend to have something to make me occupied. And when he answered, they loudly started to makes comments about how important i was, and so on, laughing and purposely looking directly at me. Grown women. In their 40's. I felt sick, and my selfasteem was really confused. I am not paranoid, i notice often when people make a comment about me or one of my friends. It's dugusting what people do to make them feel better about themselves..

edit on 10-8-2011 by creatureme because: (no reason given)

Did they sound like they were being sarcastic?.... because hell, maybe you *are* important.

Maybe even if they were being sarcastic to hurt you... it's nothing more than information that an evil spirit made the mistake of bringing to you because it knew how uncomfortable it would make you... to feel like your importance is just a joke, when in fact it is no joke. Evil spirits like to try to ride on the backs of angels, you know. They like to use critical associations. It's how they get in the zone but they are nothing but a parasite to a greater force.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

I'm so caught up in other things... like what is going on in the world and my growing impatience with certain things. Lot's of things seem like nothing more than stumbling blocks and I'm like
WHO PUT THIS FRAKING BLOCK HERE.

Interesting... I am a very positive, optimistic person but my hubby and I were talking just yesterday about how it seems EVERYTHING we do lately seems to have some kind of problem, error, fault, failure, extra effort to make it happen etc etc....

We won't give up but when even going to the shop ends up with "Oh my goodness I forgot my wallet" when you KNOW you put it in your bag... you have to wonder if sitting in a corner and rocking back and forth might be appropriate! lmao

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

In PNG, we have 800+ different languages plus...

www.ethnologue.com...

So it comes naturally...no achievement I'd say...

But yeah, I understand the current situation in USA and the on going riots and stuff, it is really frustrating...but hope all plays out well for you and family back in the States, friend.

Peace..

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Somebody mentioned that some of the comments sounded paranoid ie:
It started on 9/11 / They are stealing my energies
Yes on the surface it seems very paranoid but it does raise some interesting questions like: Is it paranoid or is it someones belief system?
A comment like the 9/11 one could very legitimately be made by a person of mid eastern origin for example.
A physically disfigured person would likely get a lot of snide remarks.
Step outside your paradigm before making a judgement and if it still doesn't fit then paranoia might be right.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join