It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From War Movies to Mondo Films to Sexploitation to Modern Educational and Training Videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Hola ATS; I wanted to start a thread of some of the strangest and most bizarre training videos out there - there are many to choose from. I picked a few of my current favorites (more industrial than military). My selections only represent a tiny fraction of the good ones out there. Please post some of your findings if you feel!

The history of educational films is a long one, but due to their being regarded overall as unimportant, many have not survived the test of time. It is unfortunate, because many revolutionary film makers would come from this world including, Russ Meyer, Herschell Gordon Lewis, John Ford and Frank Capra to name a few.

HG Lewis
Frank Capra
John Ford

Educational Films

As with the times, educational films eventually morphed into something that was sellable to an audience...MONDO films. In the early 60's MONDO films gave Americans an upclose look at the world like they had never seen. Mondo Cane, which debuted in 1963, was really just an educational video made to look more entertaining...soon it morphed into more films that screamed: "Look at the STRANGE tribe from Africa! Watch as Gorillas take away Village Women!!" By the end, with films like "Mondo Bizzaro", almost all of them were totally fake.

Mondo Bizarro

MONDO Films

But this group of new film makers, who often showed their movies in tents around the country to evade the police (often a sales gimmick too) took their skills and adapted and next came Devil Biker and Outlaw Biker Films, Women in Prison Movies, Beach Party and '___' Films, Blacksploitation Movies...all leading up to the sexploitation era, with Russ Meyers Leading the pack...
Many have heard of Faster Pussycat Kill! Kill!; it was a R. Meyer film starring Tura Santana where a gang of biker chicks takes no prisoners. Women not only impowered with violence, but a freedom of sex too

"Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" led to The Immoral Mr Teas (1959) which many consider to be the first "modern" nudie films.

Russ Meyer

As sexploitation films grew, so did the invariable public outrage. Billy Sunday, a popular evangelecist at the time, led the charge against immoral Hollywood. Inevitably, the "Hayes" commision was formed through the newly set up "Motion Picture Producers and Distributors Association of America"...movie codes were established and were, by today's standards, harsh. No drugs shown. No "brutal killing presented in detail", no reference to "sex Perversion" etc...ultimately, a film called "Deep Throat" would be the challenger that began the change to the laws...

Hayes Commission
Deep throat

So I guess after that little history lesson, you can say that people making dorky industrial videos may very well go on one day to create a new genre of film? Thought I'd just set the stage a little...now, on to some strange videos...some are GRAPHIC in nature (all make believe, but still)...post em if you got em and throw any more history out that you know...I have quoted from a book infront of me...here is a link to it...

RE/Search: Incredibly Strange Films

A little more info on "Shake Hands with Danger":

Shake Hands With Danger Dumbass

ColoradoJens
edit on 10-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Ok! I changed the title of the thread to make it mas sexy. I hope at least a few check it out - and again, please contribute!!

CJ

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Come on guys and gals! Some flags and stars but no responses? I really hope a couple people see this - I actually had to work a little bit to put it together!

CJ

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Ok. Mods, I am giving this one more shot - I thought I'd throw up some more info in the off chance anyone sees this - if I were a betting man, I'd wager no one will, but I'm bored and this stuff is great.

I found some more teenage rebellion movies along with a few more of all other genres...I particularly like Disney's movie from 1942. Check the all out!

Disney saw money in it...

For some of our more dirty-minded ATS folks:

This is aptly titled "Last Date"

Don't Drive is the message here:

Here is the subtle, or not so subtle "Juvy" movement. "The Delinquents".

Highschool hijinks:

Early 70's '___' movie for TV?

Now random: She Devils on wheels:

more she devils

More Tura Santana...

Doll Squad:

CJ

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm going to watch all the videos before I make my reply first but I have to give you credit since it looks like a really well researched thread. I think other people might not be responding and just flagging your thread or starring it because of how awesomely researched it is.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I'm going to watch all the videos before I make my reply first but I have to give you credit since it looks like a really well researched thread. I think other people might not be responding and just flagging your thread or starring it because of how awesomely researched it is.

Edit to add: Frankidealist35 - thanks so much for the kind words and thank you for being the first to post!....
Dude or dudette (this is the internet): I joined ATS not long after you did - you know how I remember? You started a thread on "any good books?"...I watched many of your threads as you gathered steam here and may I say I respect your threads and posts and I always like when another ATS member is as considerate as you are on 99% of your posts...I can't say the same for my own!:lol...I "friended" you long ago and use the "friends threads" feature often...

I appreciate your post and I hope you learn more from it! I'd like to add one last thing: Read "Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole/

CJ
edit on 12-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: I said O'Toole - it is Toole...my bad!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Hey there! I just watched the first set of videos that you had on the first post I can't exactly agree that the Mondo videos matched with reality. I don't really think that reality is as dangerous or as cynical as the movies imply that there is. They kind of make me feel better about my life and glad that I don't have all that danger in them. I liked the Pussycat one though, that one was pretty funny.

Also, thanks for the kind words. I'm thankful that ATS is receptive to the threads that I make. It makes me feel better (and worse sometimes) to know that there are other people out there that think and feel the same way about the world that I do. I try not to think about it in terms of my threads gathering steam. I just try to think of it as in the sense that more people are growing aware of the same things and we're all able to communicate with each other about the growing nature of what that awareness exactly is.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Yo bro - the "mondo" movies were just that - BS! They took old educational films and tried to cut them into something watchable. Most of them were just documentaries from around the world that showed animals being killed! Keep reading, re-read, and read again - I know you have it in you! BTW Thanks for continuing the dialogue.

CJ

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Interestingly enough. My wife's Grandfather was involved in some of these.
He was also involved in Military training movies, on the production side. Not the direction side.
Her Father also has two movies listed in IMDB that he wrote and starred in. they were popular in Europe, and Japan. Her Father's movies were for sure Sexploitation films. I won't say the titles here, but they can actually still be purchased on DVD...we have no idea who owns the rights...but we are looking into it.

I have stills, and photographs from her Grandfather's military movies as well....
Mostly "Top secret" pictures of the flying weaponry of the 40's and 50's..I suppose they are unclassified by now..LOL

Well researched thread. Now I have to go through these videos!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Hi spacedoubt, thanks for posting! I love the fact there was some personal connection - maybe after the rights are sorted out you can get some $? I understand the full on lack of sexiness of the subject, but like I say, some good film makers came out of the genre - usually they began as WWII photographers...Thanks again and I appreciate your opinion.

CJ

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Hey, late night last night talking - did I misconstue your post? I may well have. The video I posted regarding the "Mondo" film was one of the only ones that had scant info...most film is gone...sorry if I misunderstood...

CJ

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
OMG I found heaven!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thanks! There are a couple of doozies here. If you love this stuff, most of the research was done with my
RESearch strange films books. Check out RESearch...don't know their site but google it - great books on this stuff!!

Edit to add: Here it is:

RE Search Publications

CJ
edit on 5-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Thanks...I'll check it out. It's interesting for sure!

new topics

top topics

join