It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to be Liberal to be open-minded?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
It seems to me that liberals have a better understanding of the world & policies. Conservatives want to put a ban on gay marriage and although I'm not gay, I find that ridiculous. Doesn't it stand against everything the constitution and the United States stands for? It denies the rights of a group of people!
I view conservatives as televangelists, am I wrong that it seems conservatives are like this?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Again with the labels. I think that anyone that lets someone tell them what they are and should do are are children. Think for yourselves. I don't have a political setting, some things that the Lib's have to say appeal to me. Same with the Con's. That's what it's supposed to be about, not Rep. and Dem.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Moving to Political Debate for further discussion. Not really Politics & Scandals newsworthy, nor do want to promote partisan bickering in open forums.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Good reply intrepid...however, I think on the large scale of things liberals tend to be more open-minded than conservatives. Its just simply the nature of those two particular parties.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD
It seems to me that liberals have a better understanding of the world & policies. Conservatives want to put a ban on gay marriage and although I'm not gay, I find that ridiculous. Doesn't it stand against everything the constitution and the United States stands for? It denies the rights of a group of people!
I view conservatives as televangelists, am I wrong that it seems conservatives are like this?

If your joking shouldn't this be in the jokes forum? If not then I feel real sorry for you if you truly believe this horse#. Seems to be in a non partisan perspective that both sides are equally dillusional in terms of being open minded...
One cannot differentiate between a double standard and open mindedness...
To the partisans open mindedness is only applied when it has to do with their one sided political beliefs if not then the double standard comes into play and many times that person cannot recognize it...

There must be more to your theory then stereotypes, stop dreaming....
You say:

conservatives want to put a ban on gay marriage and although I'm not gay, I find that ridiculous. Doesn't it stand against everything the constitution and the United States stands for? It denies the rights of a group of people!

Couldn't you apply this question/argument to the people who want to bear arms?? While conservatives want to ban gay marriage liberals want to ban certain firearms and make the whole process alot more difficult... While this right to bear arms is part of the constitution and part of what the US stands for, do you see what I mean by the double standard now??

And just so I know that your not spewing bs the liberals have pumped into your head could you give me examples of what you mean by liberals have more of a grasp on whats going on in the world and policies???
In terms what????

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
If your joking shouldn't this be in the jokes forum? If not then I feel real sorry for you if you truly believe this horse#. Seems to be in a non partisan perspective that both sides are equally dillusional in terms of being open minded...
One cannot differentiate between a double standard and open mindedness...
To the partisans open mindedness is only applied when it has to do with their one sided political beliefs if not then the double standard comes into play and many times that person cannot recognize it...

At the risk of you chewing my head off TL, it seems you should not speak of open mindedness either. Anytime anybody posts anything pro Dem or Rep you immediately attack in the name of the LP. Anything to you that is not Libertarian is horse$hit, as you put it. You have made your position clear to us all, please do not insult our intelligence by stating that to be considered "open-minded" one MUST be Libertarian, that is an oxymoron. The only truly "open-minded" person would be an Independent who is not backing ANY party, and considers all points of view without bias. There's hardly anyone on this site that meets those criteria.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Actually i'm not......If I were in the campaign thread sure I would be that would be me sticking up for my political beliefs through the LP...

However, in this case, i'm not, i'm debating the double standard tunnel vision.
My post above was simply letting him know so he can identify the double standard, no politics involved, really...

I don't think i've mentioned anything above that has to do with my political affiliation, if i'm wrong please point it out to me...

There is such thing as debating without getting political, in this case that is what i was doing, parents to do it to their children all the time... I don't think they get political do you?? How children figure out whats right and wrong? Someone has to teach to them...
While i'm not trying to be a parent i'm just trying to get him to identify his contradiction...... You can't have one without the other.... In this case it's stereotypes... of both parties...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I sure that 'Open minded' means: not having preconceived notions about things. Some liberals have lots of preconceived notions. Most so-called conservatives do.

I suppose somekind of perfect point of view would be starting with a blank slate mind, dispassionate, yet still interested. The trick then is to make sure all the information you get on a subject is as unbiased and objective as possible. Then you would weigh the evidence you have and reach whatever conclusions seem appropriate, including deciding you just don't have enough information.

And to be intelligent, you always have to keep in mind that as new information comes in your assessment may need to be altered.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
And to be intelligent, you always have to keep in mind that as new information comes in your assessment may need to be altered.

Also, true intelligence/wisdom lays in admitting that you just don't know anything at all....... I think of this statement of having an opened mind...
Just don't try to reach one conclusion, think of the vast perspective and conclusions there are... Why be one sided, doesn't it seem alittle boring??

It's good to know one side, but it's better to know as many as you can.

Knowing just one side doesn't make you right... A major mistake of both parties if you ask me. Why trust in a fool?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Why be one sided, doesn't it seem alittle boring??

It's good to know one side, but it's better to know as many as you can.

Knowing just one side doesn't make you right... A major mistake of both parties if you ask me. Why trust in a fool?

I thought you weren't being political? You mention this mistake of both parties, I assume you mean POLITICAL parties, right? And you fail to be open-minded when you do not mention ALL political parties, including the LP, those who are in the LP have made up their minds as well, and are also "one" sided in their beliefs, as they have chosen their "team". Again the only truly "open-minded" individual will not choose a side, because at that point there mind has been made up, and it is difficult at that point to get them to change it.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It seems that it is just as closed minded to believe that you are the only one that is open minded....

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm centre-right in my ideal's but i listen to others

but i HATE soft far-left ideas

wait a second i'm meant to be open minded.... of well

[edit on 19-8-2004 by UK Wizard]

top topics

join