It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Price Of A Big Mac Is Now $17.19 In Zurich

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
The Price Of A Big Mac Is Now $17.19 In Zurich

Reading the comments attached to that posting, he is mistaken.

The medium big mac meal (with fries and a soda) is 12 Francs. That makes $17.19 sound about right (at CHF 1 = 1.4325 USD).
However, the big mac by itself is only 8 Francs. That's still about $11.

edit on 9-8-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
They should buy something off the dollar menu then which Mc Donalds has...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
So the min wage is $4 an hour? If that's not slave labor I don't know what it is.

Nope, that's not slave labor! You know why? Because at least slaves were given food to eat, and a place to sleep at night.

This is the American dream. Low minimum wage is a GOOD thing! It creates jobs! Instead of having one person that we pay a wage that he can actually feed his family with, now we can hire 3 people, and their life will be a living hell! YAY! Lower the quality of life for millions of Americans so that a few super rich folks can afford that 5th house or that second jet! What's wrong with that? Nothing of course. Those poor scumbags think they deserve to have a family, or sleep 1 person to a room? What cockroaches. You will work 15 hours a day, 6 days a week, and still have to live 5 people to a 2 bedroom apartment, eat crummy food, drive a crummy car, and if you are lucky you will die by the time your 50 so you don't have to worry about prolonged pain and suffering of old age, that you can't afford medical care for, because being healthy isn't a right!

Anyway,

That's quite the exchange rate! Makes me think of the movie Eurotrip where they had only a few dollars American but could afford to stay at a super fancy hotel and tailored suits. Except backwards. That's a little extreme, but there used to be many places that a small amount of USD could carry you really far. Not so much anymore.

Originally posted by snowspirit
Price is irrelevant unless we know what their wages are over there.

It may be irrelvant for them..but think about what news like this means for Americans.

Americans are so used to having a world-dominant currency

I don't think you get what he is saying. If their wages and cost of living is already very high there, it's not a fair comparison. Your saying the high price is due to the weak US dollar. This is partially true, but it's made worse by the fact that things still cost a lot, even to people that live there.

I live in Oregon, in the US, which uses the same weak US dollar that NY does. If I go to NY, and buy a cheeseburger, it's going to be WAY more expensive than it is where I live. That doesn't show anything about the USD, it shows cost of living differences between two locations.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
even tho it is now $17.19

is it still made out of filth?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Back in the depression they would take your dollar..

And place it on a loaf of bread..

and cut out the size of the dollar..

and that is what you got for a dollar ...

welcome to the new depression!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
*puts on Jim Gaffigan's audience voice*

Hey! I like big macs. In fact I ate one for dinner last night... and I super-sized it! I even got an extra order of large fries because they never give you enough fries. I dont appreciate the negative comments everyone has made towards big macs.

/Jim Gaffigan

but no, its true. I ate a super sized big mac combo meal with an extra side of large fries last night for dinner. And I dipped the fries in mayo after watching Pulp Fiction.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I've got to be honest, with all economics aside, why is the Mac taking so much heat? Healthy? Not even close. Delicious? I could go for a Big Mac right now actually. Supersize that meal too, honey.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Less Americans traveling the world? I can live with that.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Price is irrelevant unless we know what their wages are over there.

It may be irrelvant for them..but think about what news like this means for Americans.

Americans are so used to having a world-dominant currency they are not prepared for a world in which anything imported from abroad will have such insane prices. Or where you can't travel in a foreign country because everything is 10 times as expensive.

Honestly one of the things it means for us is the reversal of the decline in actual production that has been a by product of decades of a strong dollar.
When you can take a handful of dollars and buy up everything in sight, that means that you probably can't sell anything made by labor paid for in dollars...because that labor value would be equal to that immense dollar value. So, jobs and manufacturing disappear to the places where those dollars buy everything.
As the dollar buys less, more of them will actual end up getting used to pay American workers.

I am all for that.
Bring on the inflation. Not super fast. Not crazy out of control. But yes, to right side the underwater mortgages. To diminish both personal credit card and national debt. And jobs, here in this country (*gasp* what a shocking idea) as a natural by product of the inflation rate? I love it.

It's the only way out folks.
And what's so wrong with it?
Why do so many Americans think they are entitled to diamond studded cell phone cases and the ability (*sigh* right) to go to any other country in the world and buy up precious items for spare change?
We deserve a fair wage for fair work.
We deserve an opportunity for work.
Largely, if we stop acting like spoiled little brats, we deserve the life our grandparents had.
That life was sustainable.

And we are headed back to it. That part doesn't worry me at all.

edit on 9-8-2011 by watcher3339 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntegratedInstigator

but no, its true. I ate a super sized big mac combo meal with an extra side of large fries last night for dinner. And I dipped the fries in mayo after watching Pulp Fiction.

Are you sure you didn't get a royale with cheese instead?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought about Pulp Fiction while reading about Mcdonalds food in Europe.

"I seen em do it man they fkin drown em in that chit"

I remember going to Canada a long time ago and converting my USD into Canadian. Seemed like free money! I think I got 1.15 CAD for every dollar I changed at the time. Oh how the times have changed, it's hard to believe.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339

Why do so many Americans think they are entitled to diamond studded cell phone cases and the ability (*sigh* right) to go to any other country in the world and buy up precious items for spare change?
Largely, if we stop acting like spoiled little brats, we deserve the life our grandparents had.

I think people are not seeing the situation in the US as it actually is.

My father purchased a 2 bedroom house when he was 25 while working as a cook. NOT a chef, nothing fancy. Just a line cook at a popular joint. My grandfather purchased a machine shop business in his early 30s while working as basically a JANITOR at another machine shop. He cleaned the tools and swept. Doing this he earned enough money to buy a competing machine shop.

THEY had it EASY. I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about how everybody nowadays is lazy as has an entitlement complex. If anything. the generations from the 50s to the 70s were the lazy ones that felt entitled. They got paid a ton of money for job that really weren't that hard, were given a retirement fund or pension, then collected money from the government.

Now? What do we have now? You can bust your ass 60 hours a week and still have trouble putting food on the table. And retirement or a pension? Aside from government jobs, or white collar positions, who really gets a retirement or pension anymore? SS and medicare are probably going to be gone by the time I retire at age 75 no doubt.

The US is declining. But it's not going back to how things were. Because things aren't better now, they have not been better for a long time. The lives for the working class have been going down hill for the last 30+ years.

I've been in a few arguments with people in their 50s and 60s about "young" people these days. I've smashed them every time because they have no room to talk. Yeah, they didn't have cell phones, computers, and the internet. But what they DID have was an EASY opportunity to get a job that they could raise a family on. We do NOT have that now.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

Originally posted by watcher3339

I think people are not seeing the situation in the US as it actually is.

My father purchased a 2 bedroom house when he was 25 while working as a cook. NOT a chef, nothing fancy. Just a line cook at a popular joint. My grandfather purchased a machine shop business in his early 30s while working as basically a JANITOR at another machine shop. He cleaned the tools and swept. Doing this he earned enough money to buy a competing machine shop.

THEY had it EASY. I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about how everybody nowadays is lazy as has an entitlement complex. If anything. the generations from the 50s to the 70s were the lazy ones that felt entitled. They got paid a ton of money for job that really weren't that hard, were given a retirement fund or pension, then collected money from the government.

Now? What do we have now? You can bust your ass 60 hours a week and still have trouble putting food on the table. And retirement or a pension? Aside from government jobs, or white collar positions, who really gets a retirement or pension anymore? SS and medicare are probably going to be gone by the time I retire at age 75 no doubt.

The US is declining. But it's not going back to how things were. Because things aren't better now, they have not been better for a long time. The lives for the working class have been going down hill for the last 30+ years.

I've been in a few arguments with people in their 50s and 60s about "young" people these days. I've smashed them every time because they have no room to talk. Yeah, they didn't have cell phones, computers, and the internet. But what they DID have was an EASY opportunity to get a job that they could raise a family on. We do NOT have that now.

Until the whole mortgage backed securities derivitives scheme which was part of what saw "mortgage companies" spring up like mushrooms overnight, real banks, local banks, used pretty much the same formula to determine eligibility for a mortgage from the 30's straight through to the end of the 80's. The formula considers debt and income.
Many young couples lived with one set of inlaws for a year or two (or more) right after marriage. They used their savings to get a down payment for a house. While a house might have been cheaper then (in dollars) it was no cheaper as a percentage of their wages.
If the 82 from your screen name is your birth year, I get it. I am a 70's kid myself and I watched the change occur. But It really did occur. Yes, corporate America screwed the masses out of job security and pensions. And most people who work for corporate America have responded by takign up pitchforks against the few job sectors that still offer such things.
I am not saying that you or I or anyone from our generation that is willing to work should not have the right.
WE SHOULD.
We also shouldn't have been sold a bill of goods to get us to take out education loans that saddle us with debt before we even have a career!
BUT, even if you are willing to work (and I am and I am only maybe almost 10 years older than you), I am sure that you have friends, know people, that expect to have their first house be the same quality level as the house their parents have now. The one they worked toward and traded up towards for their whole lives.
The number of 30 year olds who think a place is unlivalbe without granite counters is just disgusting. And how could a single girl and her little lap dog ever make do with only two bedrooms????
So, maybe I am not talking to YOU James1982. But I am sure you must know of some of the ones I am referring to. A huge number of Americans have gotten soft, lazy, and entitled. If you are not one of them, good. That means you'll end up making it.
But my grandfather fought the second world war. My parents lived through a recession in the 70s. My dad took the bus to work when he didn't have enough money for gas. And walked when he didn't have enough money for the bus.
I don't see a lot of that today.
And my dad got rewarded for it.
We will too.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Let me give you an idea of how expensive it is in Switzerland. I am presently working in Bavaria. Last month I took a weekend breat near St. Moritz. I went to a nice little cafe, that had some table on the street. I ordered a normal black coffee and a hot chocolate. This little gem cost me €18, and the chocolate was cold and had to be sent back.

Now €18 is about $25 or $27, I think.

There was a clothes shop that had a sale on. In the window was a crappy Tee Shirt, 50% off. That price tag was €250.
The country is just way too expensive.

Now a Big Mac Meal (meal, LOL) in Munich is €6.80 something, I think that is about $15.
edit on 10/8/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Same as ever

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Anyone who works for hours for a big mac is not too bright when free stuff grows outside.

you gotta change your way of thinking. the dollar is not your god.

I know that most people on here want change and they want things to get better. we need change, we need everyone to want it. we need this to happen quickly and cleanly and so many things are in place to catch the falls that will ensue... and they know this was going to happen and they have been preparing. some have been preparing for themselves, some have been preparing for others as well.

The only reason I have to present you with a challenge here is because if you spread around fear.... it will only drag this out.

you have to believe we can do this!

you have to remember that money is just money, we still have the same # we had yesterday. there's plenty to go around. Power MUST shift. Try not to be afraid.

instead, think of solutions for any of the problems going on today.... EXCEPT writing IOUs.

No more IOUs. We need the truth NOW.

i want to see just who cries the hardest when world currency falls. I WANT TO SEE THAT PERSONS FACE!

Think about your goals in life. what do you *really* want?

A big mac?

I don't think so.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

What do I want in life? Humm, Food in my family's belly (not MacDonald) a roof over their heads, clothes on thier back and enough left over for them to have an occasional treat. Anything more is just greed.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by ChaosMagician

What do I want in life? Humm, Food in my family's belly (not MacDonald) a roof over their heads, clothes on thier back and enough left over for them to have an occasional treat. Anything more is just greed.

that's right.... and I hope you get it and I hope you have joy and happiness from it.

The banks though.... They don't even want you to have THAT!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
glad i still live in the good ole US where you can buy a full meal deal for under 10 bucks

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Sort of bizarre as well that an ounce of silver back a couple years ago cost the same amount as some fast food. Yet given the option over having fast food, or an ounce of silver, I bet a huge majority would go for the silver. Which is and was telling.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

I definitely get what you are saying, there are people out there like that. A friend's girlfriend turned down a job in a hospital that payed 16 something an hour because she thought that was too low. I forget exactly what she is/does, but she isn't a nurse, didn't go to school for her profession, just took a 3 week course (somewhere around that length)

To me, that seemed ridiculous. I worked labor jobs straight out of high school, and actually while still in school. I didn't want to go to college, I enjoy physical labor and working with my hands. A long, hard days work is what I'm used to. Drinking a few gallon jugs of water before the end of the day because your sweating so much isn't out of the norm for me. My family have all made themselves decent lives with blue collar work and no college education, I figured I could do the same.

I guess I was wrong. This country no longer values hard work. It values being sneaky, underhanded, and morally bankrupt. This is where my anger comes from. I've been out of work for over a year. Put in thousands of applications, offered to work FOR FREE to prove myself at a few places that had great positions open. Still nothing.

So I apologize for my rant, it wasn't really directed at you. I do understand where you are coming from, as lazy individuals of my generation certainly do exist. My blood just boils when people call me lazy, entitled, etc. These same people wouldn't know a hard days work if it bit them in the rear. I want job, I want to work hard, but the opportunity isn't there. I've thought about going to school, but who knows what kind of education will be valuable in 2-4 years. And I'm having a hard time supporting myself right now, throw in the cost of school and I'm done for. It feels like a trap, one I think many many Americans are currently in. And then get called lazy and entitled on top of it.

I'm done, sorry for blabbing on so long
I just have a feeling there a ton of people out there like me that just want to work, but some will try and make you think we want to live on unemployment and food stamps (neither of which I get, btw)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

You don't need to apologize, it really sucks out there. At least you don't owe 100k in student loans. There are no jobs because the computer operator can do 6 times what other people used to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join