It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Price Of A Big Mac Is Now $17.19 In Zurich

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This is just crazy! I thought I would put it up because it shows in stark, real-wprd terms what a dollar crisis means.

Not what it's going to mean in five years...what it already means.

You remember growing up you'd read about how you could go to some foreign country with a fistful of dollars and buy up everything in sight?

Now the tables are turned...this is America's future. Working four hours to afford a Big Mac.

The Price Of A Big Mac Is Now $17.19 In Zurich
It's all about supply and demand. Increased demand for the Swiss franc coupled with expanded supply of dollars and euros has caused the franc to surge over the last weeks and months. It wasn't too long ago that it would take 1.20 francs to buy a US dollar. Now it takes $1.40 to buy a single franc. I can think of a lot of words to describe the performance of the US dollar. Farce. Joke. Lunacy. Embarrassment. Disgusting. But it's more clearly summed up like this: the price of a Big Mac is in Zurich is now so high (at $17.19) that a minimum wage employee in Minneapolis, Minnesota, would have to work for nearly 4-hours in order to afford it. This is what stability looks like to Ben Bernanke.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The Big Mac is long gone..

we now have what I call the Medium Mac...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
good! No one should be able to afford to eat that crap!
Too bad it isn't that expensive here.....

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Good grief! I wouldn't eat one of those hideous things even if it ws given me free!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What are the logistics for flying from the U.S. to Zurich with a hot box..let's see...the price here vs the pric..Oh, nvm.

It's pretty scary when an illicit trade in McDonalds Hamburgers might actually carry a profit margin to make it worth the trouble. The world is going nuts.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Do the $20 Big Macs taste better than the $5 ones? Because the $5 ones taste like....

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

the price of a Big Mac is in Zurich is now so high (at $17.19) that a minimum wage employee in Minneapolis, would have to work for nearly 4-hours in order to afford it
That really is quite ridiculous. So the min wage is $4 an hour? If that's not slave labor I don't know what it is. I would never ever work for that wage unless I really enjoyed the work.
edit on 9-8-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Seventeen bucks to eat a bunch of poison, thats a good deal what are you talking about op?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Do we really need 7 snarky comments in a row?

Thank you OP for posting this. I enjoyed reading the start of the thread and think that your wording may help drive the message home for some people.
edit on 9-8-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The conversion is wrong.

Seems to be closer to $9.00

Still pretty high though.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
whats crazy is people still eat in mcdonalds, or fast food in general.

at wichever price

the price is always too high in the longrun

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
just had a brilliant idea to smuggle big macs to switzerland.

you could take them over by the crate full and sell them on the black market for huge profits. lol..

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
How much of that is "sin tax"? Europe is social program central. It's highly likely that the high price might be a product of social conditioning via taxes.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Monsanto burgers are expensive outside of the USA

If bullets were this expensive our government would have defaulted in 1970.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Price is irrelevant unless we know what their wages are over there.

I guess it would be way too expensive for most of us to visit.
They also have the highest wages in the world
www.marketoracle.co.uk...

According to the research, the salaries are the highest in Zurich - 26 percent higher than what New Yorkers receive. The list continues with Copenhagen, Geneva, Oslo and New York. The lowest salaries are paid to residents of Mumbai - they make up only 6.5 percent of those in New York.

edit on 9-8-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

This conversation is about whether you, as a Canadian, or more specifically any American could afford to eat at McDonald's in Zurich.

Apparently they can't. It doesn't matter whether the Swiss can afford it. This isn't about them.
Its about the rest of us in the recently devolving world.
edit on 8/9/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

It may be irrelvant for them..but think about what news like this means for Americans.

Americans are so used to having a world-dominant currency they are not prepared for a world in which anything imported from abroad will have such insane prices. Or where you can't travel in a foreign country because everything is 10 times as expensive.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Exactly, I read thru the thread thinking the same and no one
had mentioned it yet. Its the same in the US by state. Some
make more money in certain states and prices are higher.
Does anyone know how much minimum wages might
be in Zurich.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I edited.

I guess they don't rely much on tourism, except from the rich....

I wonder what a real good meal costs over there

edit on 9-8-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I have a hard time believing that people pay 5 cents for that crap. It isn't even classified as food. I get your point of inflation though and the fact that it means a trend that isn't good for anyone.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join