It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Highest Mantra in Buddhism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The Surangama Mantra, also known as the Shurangama Mantra.

While reading this text some things may strike you as improbable. That is because some of the imagery is surely metaphorical, and because understanding most of the rest requires a certain degree of spiritual realization.

online.sfsu.edu...

But reciting this mantra requires nothing, and the man speaking so highly of it is an enlightened master in the tradition of Zen Buddhism. That is, someone with high high spiritual achievements, and very high compassion.

So if you have the intention of protecting this world, yourself and your loved ones, read this rather short commentary on the Surangama Mantra.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this. I plan to learn it now. Thank you. Namaste

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
the highest mantra in buddhism is there is no highest mantra in buddhism.

you forget why zen masters defied even buddhism highest principles.

go read the story of the monk who burned a buddha statue to warm himself up.

then forget about it

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Fevrier

But will you learn to pronounce it right?

Listening to Westerners mangling Pali and Sanskrit pronunciation is hilarious. But the sounds they make raise an interesting question: if you don’t chant a mantra right, how can it have the effect you expect from it?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Fevrier

To understand a Mantra...you must understand "language"
Which I do not!

Apparently, the language that is coded to our DNA is wrong or actually backwords from what it should be.

You do know that sounds, vibration and language affect our DNA..

Agree or disagree and rebuttal please.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'm sorry but you are hilarious! Are you doing that on purpose or is it not intended! Either way!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Fevrier

Thank you for the link. I am going to read through it all, and let it sink it before I add to the discussion.
In the meantime, I will share a little story that I found:

A monk once visited a hermit who lived alone on an island doing retreat. The hermit had given himself three years to complete chanting ten million of the powerful six-syllable mantra of the Compassionate Buddha. The hermit had been told that attaining this level of practice would awaken his Yogic powers. The mantra was OM MANI PADME HUM…

The monk listened as the hermit did his mantra and, with the best intention in the world, leaned over and whispered: “I think you have the pronunciation wrong. The mantra should be chanted this way…” and he proceeded to demonstrate. The hermit listened attentively and then watched as the monk walked back to his boat to leave the island.

Ten minutes later, when the boat was halfway across to the other shore, the monk heard his name being called and, looking around, spied the hermit as the hermit called, “Listen to this, have I got it right now? The hermit proceeded to chant the same mantra, but with the monk’s intonation.
Astounded the monk realized the hermit was walking on the water next to the boat. In that instant, the monk realized that the hermit’s faith and sincerity had given his mantra recitation far more power than he had realized. Getting the intonation correct seemed almost irrelevant…

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Let these people have their fun. They want to be special, have a nice title, be compassionate and chant super secret(not so) mantra's.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Here is a much easier mantra that everybody can use:
youtu.be...
No language barrier with this one.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I have a better mantra for you;

When you see injustice you speak out about it. Do everything possible(except for the obvious inflicting of pain or harm to any other humans) to have others see the injustice. If nobody wants to listen, speak louder.

That will be much better than any simple or complicated mantra.

Of course, you won't feel so hippy dippy.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Did you watch the video?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

By god...really? Did you even click the link?

Seriously, I care not for constructs of social control. You may be living it up in your metaphysical world or what it is you're "offering" here, but in the real world, people are dropping dead from hunger. So, if you want to be happy and dreamy and whatnot, you're going to have to do it to another person. I'm just here to tell everyone it's a bunch of hogwash(because it is) money making schemes.

take care, get rid of the delusions by the way. Buddhist = just another religion.

edit on 10-8-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Then go away.
I don't understand why you even made a comment, very strange.
If you want to talk about hungry people start a thread.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

You don't understand?

How about:

Denying ignorance?

Maybe you will understand now? I'm tired, and so should every free human, of dumb people towing the money making scheme known as religion. Weird? Perhaps to you.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

I think it is better to acknowledge ignorance than deny it.
First you have to realize that there is ignorance.
Assumptions are ignorance and assumptions have to be seen before they can be removed.

You have wrongly assumed that i have said something about religion.

edit on 10-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Weird to me that you are so bored and unhappy that you feel the need to come here and attack. Peaceful people talking about peaceful things are attacked by people talking about injustice.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Are not words just words? What makes these words any more powerful than any others? You don't even know what they mean. You could chant 'Expecto Patronum' over and over again and it would have the same effect. Its not what comes out of your mouth, but what happens in your mind....

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

If you read the page you will see that this has been mentioned already and i posted an easier mantra, this one:
youtu.be...

Hope you like it .

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Hey man, Gotta agree with Itisnowagain. I don't see why you feel the need to blatantly derail the thread in such a negative way.

Don't get me wrong, Zamini, I have loved reading your input throughout many threads on ATS, but you kinda just came here to show everyone that you think this thread is pointless.
At one stage of your life, maybe you were interested in mantras?

I actually share your opinion: At the end of the day, mantras are meaningless, but you have to go through that stage of your life to understand why? Is that not true?
Hell, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I haven't fully understood the intent behind mantras completely.

The youtube video of Mooji explainined that in using the "Thank you" mantra, one accepts the good and the bad equally as catalysts for growth. You understand the whole coin, rather than focusing on only one side.

I don't understand why you couldn't be pleased to come across this thread and find people undertaking a path which you are familiar with.
Instead you bashed around, trying to inject a sense of superiority?

This is the Philosophy and Metaphysics thread, and people come here to learn. So i ask you from the bottom of my heart to try and refrain from turning people away.

Many Thanks

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
the highest mantra in buddhism is there is no highest mantra in buddhism.

you forget why zen masters defied even buddhism highest principles.

go read the story of the monk who burned a buddha statue to warm himself up.

then forget about it

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

This is lip-service Zen. That is, it upholds the 'rebellious' spirit of Zen without actually containing or leading to any realization of our fundamental nature, which is the purpose of Zen.

In other words, you can say anything about Zen. But that which you say is not enlightenment and it does not particularly lead to it. And the Zen master who burned a Buddha statue did so with very high insight, insight from samadhi and insight from being enlightened. He did it in order to prove a point, but the contents and effects of that point were held up by the very nature of his realization.

Indeed, you and I and everyone here have the same fundamental nature as him. But as long as it is not REALIZED, actively and in full truth, then burning statues and walking away will likely do harm.

And you might think of this or that Zen master who was fearless about karma, but you don't realize that if you immitate that, it's just lip-service fearlesness. Monkey-see, monkey-do. A high level bodishattva can be immune to all karma, but the difference between that and you or me is immense. In practical terms.

Coming back to Zen, there is no school of Zen that has ever ignored compassionate action in the world through skillfull means, and the cultivation of virtue. These can be said to be one of the basis of Zen, Zen being a Mahayana school of Buddhism, and Mahayana is all about getting enlightenment and using it in the world.

And you bet your ass that they don't stress burning statues, but much different kinds of actions, so what you did there was focus on a very very specific thing and use it to obscure for yourself the meaning of Zen and enlightened action.

Speaking of mantras, in fact Zen upholds the use of the Zhunti mantra, for its ability to open up the middle energy channel in your body. No middle energy channel opened, no samadhi possible, no enlightenment possible. Here, that's a free lesson for you. Zhunti mantra is certainly not the only way to do it, but since many people have great difficulty with the middle channel, it certainly helps a lot, and Zen acknowledges that.

The final point is, Zen is not some intellectual game that people play and then walk away satisfied, it's a path of realization of the fundamental nature of mind, leading to enlightenment, cultivation of compassionate action in the world and of the full abilities of the triple human body.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join