It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Travel/Survival/Bug out Vehicle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The best vehicle for silent travel, large weight capacity for gear yet still light & maneuverable, and no fuel required...

Im a bigger guy, so I bought this bike a few years ago, for taller men. The frame, gears and cables are the only thing stock on this bike, its an old school, 90's-Era Schwinn Mesa Runner converted into a mountain bike. I bought the bike for $30 on craigslist and upgraded all the parts myself: New tires, rear bike rack, higher handlebars, new brakes, etc. It has no suspension, which I've grown to prefer in my many years of mountain biking. Its simpler to work on should there be a problem, and there are fewer moving parts.

As an example here I have my water reservoir bag on the top, its bungied to the rack, as well as 2 side panniers (home made) that can hold as much as any other backpack. I also have my bush knife attached on the right side in case its needed immediately for self defense, or used as a tool for multiple survival purposes. Minimal tools are with me: 2 mini adjustable wrenches, a Phillips screwdriver and a multi-hex keyset. After you find a place to set up camp, take the bags off the rear rack and take a lightweight scouting run around the larger perimeter.

This bike is a solid, versatile and durable machine that is perfect for any survival situation. I can pick it up and carry it over high water, and can ride at night on roads with almost zero sound. Its a perfect vehicle for evasion and can carry more than you'd normally be able to carry JUST on your back. This is just an example of ingenuity and hard work that can be made by ANYONE as a backup travel vehicle, or primary bug out vehicle. Give me your thoughts, and I'd love to see any other pics of what you guys think would be the best vehicle for a SHTF situation.
edit on 9-8-2011 by Tanulis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Nice idea. Here are some alternatives recently discussed, but I don't believe a bicycle was among them that time.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Yes, definitely! I certainly remember that thread. This is essentially just my take on an inexpensive and versatile mode of transportation. I am a huge fan of mountain bikes, and the fact that they require hardly any maintenance shows their true value in an environment where everything can go wrong
edit on 9-8-2011 by Tanulis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
In most situations that i find myself in that i need to get out of there quickly i usually have to rely on shanks pony.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have a motorbike myself which gives me a bit more room to work with, I know how hard it gets with such limited space though. I have seen a few bikes around with a trailer on my travels and might be something to think about for food and especially water.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
so you're saying if money wasn't an issue, you'd get a bike for a bug out vehicle? that's cool...

but what about zombies?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
A bike is great in flat areas, but in areas with lots of steep hills, it can be burdensome having to push it up hill. Although you get great speed going down hill.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Camoflage the wheels up a bit...don't need glare giving away your position

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by celticpride

HA! with all the mud on my tires from my trail run today, glare will not be an issue!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

awesomest boat for SHTF!!!

a solar powered catamaran yacht..no fuel, shallow water capable. ocean full of food, water, and toilet (ew nasty)..

Horizon Yachts Suncat 46.
edit on 9-8-2011 by rebeldog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
www.yachtforums.com...

maybe this better shows it. sorry if vid doesn't work.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
A bike is great in flat areas, but in areas with lots of steep hills, it can be burdensome having to push it up hill. Although you get great speed going down hill.

I'd rather push a bike that's loaded with equipment uphill than not be able to carry some of the vital things I need on my back at all. And as they say, what goes up must come down... you'll enjoy the ride downhill at some point, lol.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
What about a horse? No need to care fuel or spare parts. Grass grows wild so feeding it is of little problem. And I really hate to say it but if it comes down to it, FOOD.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Yeah i would have to go with the motorsickle as well ,although i dont like the idea of towing a trailer,when a swag and camelback is enough.And i am sure after your exploits Kev that you are prepared for most situations. When i see the look in the eyes of cyclists crossing the Barkly ,battling those westerlies and swarms of flies ,I can imagine the pain as i twist the throttle.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I like your idea its good for a single person... for me and my family I have 2 horses now and all 4 of us could get on and be in the mtns withing 30min the horses are great for detection they hear and smell everything. the only downside to the horses is they are large compared to a bike and you have to care for them, there is also a danger factor but you have that on a bike aswell..

I have dirt bikes aswell but a horse can go almost anywhere where a dirtbike has its limits.. theres nothing like riding a horse across a river good times.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
How about a cart with 4 BMX tires, on independant suspension, pulled along by a couple of goats?
When terrain gets really bad, break it down and stow on back goats and walk.
Just remodel from a couple of recumbant bikes (seat/storage area/solar panel roof)

Freely powered (they eat along the way)
Supply you with Milk, Butter, Cheese.
With a couple of more goats trailling behind:
- auxillary power, meat, and trade.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

LOL goats FTW...

i think goats would be best kept somewhere secluded they can manage on their own just fine... they are quite stubborn and i have never seen them used to pull any weight im not so sure they could carry enough weight to be usefull.. but their meat and milk is great food.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Pack goats and a donkey are what you need especially in rugged country where horses and vehicles cannot go.
the idea is to go where no one would ever consider going or couldn't go...That's where you need to be

donkeys are good eyes and ears and excellent guard animals, especially when i comes to protecting its goats/territory

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Id rather have the batmobile, but thats just me

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

A camelback is a good idea. I did think about a trailer, but did not seam like a good idea when going along the rough roads. Considering how often I have dropped the bike it was good not having there. Sandy roads and some rocky river crossings where the most troubling and a pump helped to manage the tyre pressures. The best advice I can give to anyone wanting to get ready is to give it a test and go camping for a couple of days. You will work out what you need and what you don't. There is also some room left on those handle bars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join