It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if game: what if we were 4 meters tall ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hello,

I started playing this game in my mind the last few weeks:

What if we were 4 meters tall or 40 cm tall ?

In theory all the world and rules are the same, for some reason humans evolved to be 4 meters tall. I mostly focused on technology.

Advantages:

- TV would have been a lot more complicated as the first ones had small screens by our standards.
- Mobile phones would have been tiny compared to us from the start. An army phone with a dynamo would have been acceptable as a starting point.
- we would have needed a lot more electricity for all devices as they would have to be larger.
- bigger cars, maybe planes would have been invented later.

My point is could there be something that might not have been invented if we were taller?

Example: ARM architecture processors might never have evolved as an Ipad would be an average size mobile phone, only it could be thicker etc.

Architecture would not be the same maybe.
A TV set with it's 500x375 would not have been an acceptable standard, and it would weigh a ton if you scale it up in size.

Would we turn up the same or not ?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Depends on how tall 4 mters or 40 centimeters was, i'm not too familiar with the metric system.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

1 meter = 3.2808399 feet

But more simple, a bit more than twice the size.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RanDeLv2
My point is could there be something that might not have been invented if we were taller?

pepper spray.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

A centimeter is one hundredth of meter and not one tenth.

1 meter = 100 cm therefore 4 meters = 400 cm

For our antiquated Burmese, Liberian and American ATS members who have yet to adopt the metric system, 1 foot (or 12 inches) is about 30 cm therefore 4 meters = 13 feet.

That's what the OP is asking. What if your were over 13 foot tall? i.e. one tall man standing on another tall man's shoulders.

edit on 9/8/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos

A centimeter is one hundredth of meter and not one tenth.

1 meter = 100 cm therefore 4 meters = 400 cm

For our antiquated Burmese, Liberian and American ATS members who have yet to adopt the metric system, 1 foot (or 12 inches) is about 30 cm therefore 4 meters = 13 feet.

That's what the OP is asking. What if your were over 13 foot tall? i.e. one tall man standing on another tall man's shoulders.

Well i imagine things would be exactly the same (just built bigger).

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

an Ipad would be an average size mobile phone

The technology is called a tablet, not an iPad. iPad is just a brand.

It's the same problem with folk who think iPods are separate from media players and that Apple computers aren't personal computers.

To answer your question, I believe the main differences would be our ergonomic relation to natural objects of landscapes and animals.

For a start, horses would become more like dogs, large dogs like small dogs and small dogs like guinea-pigs.

Visualize everything at half it's current size to properly explore the OP's question.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RanDeLv2

ok - just need to state the fact that the human form factor simply will not be a viable template @ 4m tall

now having got that off my chest

assuming all other plants and animals etc and the planet is at " conventional " proportions

some issues off the top of my head : [ in no particular order ]

a reduced level of bridge building - as a human with a large stick can now ford a 2.5m river with ease

reduced levels of dommesticated beasts of burden , a hand cart would out preform a donkey cart

horses would be a childrens " toy "

weaponry - a fit man can now pick up a 15kg rock in one hand - and crush the skull of a adult bengal tiger with a swipe

agriculture / hunter gathering - the increased quantities of food required for a given population are greater than the increased yeild that a 4m humanoid can produce with higher strength , reach and walk speed

orrvile wright would weigh > 500kg - with all the power / wight implicatins for manned flight

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

I wanted to create a double thread with both the subjects:

Either 4 meters or 40 cm, so if we were taller or a lot smaller. I decided in the end to create another thread for 40 cm, but only if this one goes well.

I forgot to take the 40 cm part out of the post.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

Thanks for the answer.

I used iPad because we all know, thanks to uncle Apple, how one looks, if i say tablet i have to explain what it is.

new topics

top topics

join