It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Reid super committee picks in place

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by ZombieJesus

The only thing this "Super Congress" was made for is so that the politicians can shift the blame on nothing getting done when election time comes. Other than that it will have no impact whatsoever on how laws are made.

and,

it will allow some to dodge and duck and hide their heads in sand when the blaming starts !

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
After as bad as this last debt deal made Congress look they needed to come up with something to save their jobs and this is it. All they have to do now is vote down every recommendation the "SuperCongress" sends them and say that this new committee is failing at doing their job.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The only thing this "Super Congress" was made for is so that the politicians can shift the blame on nothing getting done when election time comes. Other than that it will have no impact whatsoever on how laws are made.

True...but whatever comes out of the Super Congress will automatically be billed as bi-partisan...as it technically will be.

As i stated, just with the 3 names shown here....at least one is a hardcore corporate Democrat.....Baucus. We already know that Republicans will not cave on closing a corporate tax loophole or anything that might bring in more revenue. However, any blue dog dem will cave to the other side....Baucus is one of them.

That's all that's needed....he will go the corporate route just like any other Republican voted to the panel....yet it will still be deemed "bi partisan."

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

reply to post by ZombieJesus

I wish I could agree with you, kro32, but I think we're overlooking something that is right before our eyes. I have this feeling that this committee can affect laws and elections in a very sinister way.

I have no proof and I hate saying "I have a feeling", but that's all I have for now...

ETA: OK here's one example of where the committee could be dangerous:

The triggers can be used to effective raise taxes and change some very important priorities:

The key problem lies with the enforcement mechanisms, or "triggers," created to compel the committee members to reach an agreement. While Republicans wouldn't agree to a tax-hike trigger, they did agree to one that would slash defense spending by up to $600 billion, depending on how far short the committee falls of the deficit-reduction goal. This puts anti-tax Republicans who favor a robust military in a bind.

Democrats on the committee could insist on raising taxes, and Republicans will either have to give in to their tax demands or accept the deep defense cuts.

Link

So the committee isn't as benign as we're being told it is.
edit on 9-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
somebody tell,,,, Barack,, it won't work,,,

"And ye shall offer a burnt offering, a sacrifice made by fire,
of a sweet savour unto the LORD;
thirteen young bullocks,
two rams, and
fourteen lambs of the first year;
they shall be without blemish:"

unquote

thirteen
young bullocks,
a sacrifice,,

i don't think so,,,

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Democrats on the committee could insist on raising taxes, and Republicans will either have to give in to their tax demands or accept the deep defense cuts.

True, but it would take all 6 of them to do so. I just don't see it happening. Democrats always cave. After looking at what has happened lately....who is most likely to cross the aisle?

Republicans have stood firm on nearly everything the last 2 years.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Your forgetting that the committee just sends a recommendation to the Congress who than debates and votes on it. This part is no different than what you have today. If the democrats on the committee cave than the Senate will vote it down and they will have to go back to the drawing board. Same with the republican side.

And as far as the triggers go that is nothing. Congress has placed triggers on themselves before and twice that I can remember they came into effect and were either ignored by the Congress or they changed the actual trigger itself to something more desirable.

Congress cannot set rules on itself that it can't change anytime it feels like. These triggers are just a kind of promise they made to themselves and they are in no way accountable to uphold them if they feel there is a better route.
edit on 9-8-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

True, but it would take all 6 of them to do so. I just don't see it happening. Democrats always cave. After looking at what has happened lately....who is most likely to cross the aisle?

I don't think it would be so hard to get all 6 of either party to stay together. I guess I'll have to wait to see who the remainder of the picks are.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I actually think this committee will put their heads together and come up with honest solutions that may work however I bet that the rest of Congress will just try to play this to make the other party look bad. I would be very surprised if anything this "SuperCongress" send to the floor actually get's passed and I imagine it will be dissolved due to "inefficency" right after the elections in 2012.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Your forgetting that the committee just sends a recommendation to the Congress who than debates and votes on it. This part is no different than what you have today. If the democrats on the committee cave than the Senate will vote it down and they will have to go back to the drawing board. Same with the republican side.

And as far as the triggers go that is nothing. Congress has placed triggers on themselves before and twice that I can remember they came into effect and were either ignored by the Congress or they changed the actual trigger itself to something more desirable.

Congress cannot set rules on itself that it can't change anytime it feels like. These triggers are just a kind of promise they made to themselves and they are in no way accountable to uphold them if they feel there is a better route.

It must be nice, setting the rules and then changing them when they become pesky.

I have to do more research on stuff like how long is this committee active, when/how does it change, and does the congress need a simple or super majority vote to pass or reject their recommendations.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Here you go:

rules.house.gov...

That's the actual bill and i've read through it and there's nothing as disasterous as alot of people are making it out to be.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

That's the actual bill and i've read through it and there's nothing as disasterous as alot of people are making it out to be.

NOW Where in the dam Constitution do you see the Words Super Congress? Super Congress is unconstitutional and how man times are you going to claim that there's nothing as disastrous as alot of people are making it out to be looks like we have an obama defender on here.
Oh how informative from house.gov

edit on 10-8-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I like how the media and politicians try to make these things look like hard decisions when we all know that picks on both sides for this committee are already made.They will hem and haw while padding their resumes and making sure that none of either parties pet projects end up on the chopping block.Fun and games,man fun and games at all our expense.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I like how the media and politicians try to make these things look like hard decisions when we all know that picks on both sides for this committee are already made.They will hem and haw while padding their resumes and making sure that none of either parties pet projects end up on the chopping block.Fun and games,man fun and games at all our expense.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Can't wait until Pelosi makes her picks. I would imagine that her selection will be preceded by a bottle of cheap California table wine.

So basically, we end up with a special committee comprised of wealthy career politicians from opposite ends of the spectrum. Should be real fun.

And for those who think this idea is good... Remember, that this is just another historical and catastrophic "first" for the Obama Administration and yet another big unknown. Let's see who else gets picked and how they perform behind closed doors before we start sending out invites to the Hug Fest.

Congress has been failing us for decades and I see no difference ahead with this "super congress" aside from them wearing some special Red and Blue Capes to the negotiating table.

ETA

This is a key element of the the Bill

SEC. 402. EXPEDITED CONSIDERATION OF JOINT COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS.

(a) Introduction- If approved by the majority required by section 401(b)(3)(B)(ii), the proposed legislative language submitted pursuant to section 401(b)(3)(B)(iv) shall be introduced in the Senate (by request) on the next day on which the Senate is in session by the majority leader of the Senate or by a Member of the Senate designated by the majority leader of the Senate and shall be introduced in the House of Representatives (by request) on the next legislative day by the majority leader of the House or by a Member of the House designated by the majority leader of the House.

Basically be prepared for a rush vote on the floor to pass the "official recommendation" of the Super Heroes.

For the House of Reps.

The joint committee bill shall be considered as read. All points of order against the joint committee bill and against its consideration are waived. The previous question shall be considered as ordered on the joint committee bill to its passage without intervening motion except 2 hours of debate equally divided and controlled by the proponent and an opponent and one motion to limit debate on the joint committee bill. A motion to reconsider the vote on passage of the joint committee bill shall not be in order.

For the Senate, another limit on debates and no amendments

(3) CONSIDERATION- All points of order against the joint committee bill and against consideration of the joint committee bill are waived. Consideration of the joint committee bill and of all debatable motions and appeals in connection therewith shall not exceed a total of 30 hours which shall be divided equally between the Majority and Minority Leaders or their designees. A motion further to limit debate on the joint committee bill is in order, shall require an affirmative vote of three-fifths of the Members duly chosen and sworn, and is not debatable. Any debatable motion or appeal is debatable for not to exceed 1 hour, to be divided equally between those favoring and those opposing the motion or appeal. All time used for consideration of the joint committee bill, including time used for quorum calls and voting, shall be counted against the total 30 hours of consideration.

(4) NO AMENDMENTS- An amendment to the joint committee bill, or a motion to postpone, or a motion to proceed to the consideration of other business, or a motion to recommit the joint committee bill, is not in order.

Don't blink when this recommendation hits the floor

www.govtrack.us...
edit on 10-8-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
that has got to be one of the biggest jokes i have ever seen,

harry reid picking morons without a clue.

imagine the damage they are going to do going from bad to worse.

This Super Committee will agree on - nothing -.
Right before the mandatory cuts take place.........congress will reshuffle the deck
and God knows what will happen.

edit on 10-8-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Update

6 more people chosen, 9 of the 12 spots are now filled, and Pelosi will name the last 3.

Debt panel members prompt doubts

WASHINGTON — A conservative Texas Republican congressman has been chosen by House Speaker John Boehner to co-chair a powerful new committee tasked to find a bipartisan plan to slash the federal budget deficit by over $1 trillion.
Boehner, R-Ohio, announced Rep. Jeb Hensarling's selection on Wednesday. At the same time, he named Reps. Dave Camp and Fred Upton, both of Michigan, to the committee. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., named Republican Sens. Jon Kyl of Arizona, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Rob Portman of Ohio to the panel.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by kro32

NOW Where in the dam Constitution do you see the Words Super Congress? Super Congress is unconstitutional and how man times are you going to claim that there's nothing as disastrous as alot of people are making it out to be looks like we have an obama defender on here.
Oh how informative from house.gov

edit on 10-8-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

Then we need a war to uphold our constitution as our founders stated

edit on 14-11-2011 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join