It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What punishment is sufficient for the ones acting in the riots in the UK?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

What harsh penalties? Seriously, I'd be shocked if the looters got more than a fine that they can pay £1 a month if on welfare. As for the people who did the real damage, the arsonists may serve 12 months at most, the rest will probably get 6 months but out in 3, again at most. Our police are the softest on the planet and so are our courts!! The entire planet!! This is how soft they are, there were dutch and Swedish police over here last year saying that British criminal justice today is such a stark contrast to the 70's era (which many forces worldwide regard as the greatest era of the Met in terms of effectiveness) that it makes them back home now look like how the Met police looked in the 70's! That's not a #ing compliment!! Our punishments are trash! Run over a little girl and kill her, if your an illegal immigrant and do that you get 4 months! Crimes broken as long as you're arm, death by dangerous driving, its ok 4 months. This country doesnt want to build any prisons, so the alternative is to not put anyone in there. Instead, give everyone fines, oh wait, the unemployed/unemployable won't pay them anyway. Ok, just double up fines in the Suburbs! It's BS, absolute BS this country! The only people who are opressed as I have stated are working Brits, the rest are having a #ing free ride!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Straight up! It's bollox! My old dear went to Turkey this year and said the amount of people out there who don't work but yet can afford a holiday with the kids is BS, not just recently out of work, no the "I haven't worked in 10 years can't be #ed you #" kind, both parents out of work giving it berty big balls around the resort and there were loads of them, #ing stronging around the resort!!! Last holiday I had was down to Southend for the day two #ing years ago and ended up wanting to chase the #ing Essex boys away from my chips and pint with a brick, it did my head in! Last time I went abroad was to Zante ten years ago and I had to work my arse off to save up to go on the lads holiday. Us workers are getting the shaft and it seems everyones mob heavy except us! We should start stronging around the streets and around parliament! Oh wait, can't afford to get a day off work! Modern Britain my arse!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of Mainstream Media, but I have watched some of the responses
from the young people who are involved in the riots around the UK.
"It's a way ov' makin' money" says one.
"There's no chance of goin' to College, so wot's the point?" said another.
One young chap even said "well, V.A.T is goin' up... everyfing is goin' up"

A great country and a great generation to hand-over to... makes my chest
swell with pride.

Or is that 'wiv' pride?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I would give them FT jobs, Give them a #ty little flat and expect them to start acting like adults. Sink or swim, pay some damn taxes!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretFace

Well, you may be pleased to know that some London councils have now said that anyone in a Council house/flat that is found guilty of these disturbances will face eviction from said house...

At least some good may come of it and someone who actually deserves a home paid for by the State actually gets one.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Spot on - they need to wear bright yellow jackets with "looter" or "rioter" in big letters on front and back, and be made to repair all the damage they did, and try and put back into that they destroyed.
Only issue is making them do this - to do so needs someone supervising them full time because otherwise they will just disappear and not bother.
A mixture of shame for their actions, and then also being made to put right everything they broke.

Another idea I had - ship them to afghanistan and see how they get on in a real "war zone" - they wouldn't last 2 minutes would they.

If anyone ever saw "bad lads army" on TV over here a few years ago, where they took 20-30 "bad lads" who were 16-20 years old and off the rails, and instilled real discipline in them like the Army does - and over 3 series of this show only 1 lad walked off, all the rest turned their lives around, with some even actually joining the army full time.
These kids who behave in such a way have no respect, no fear, nothing.
Put them in an environment where they have no choice but to learn these things and they will change.

I listened to some of these rioters on the radio on the way home - and their whole attitude angers me immensely.
Basically they say:
Cops can't do anything, I will take whatever I like, don't care about the damage caused, no fear of parental reprisal.
NO RESPECT AT ALL - they need to be made to have respect for people and property.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by SecretFace

Well, you may be pleased to know that some London councils have now said that anyone in a Council house/flat that is found guilty of these disturbances will face eviction from said house...

At least some good may come of it and someone who actually deserves a home paid for by the State actually gets one.

I know what these looters have/are doing is wrong, but i just cant bring myself to support that kind of action. Evicting them from their house's? What? an entire family all because one or two got involved? The parents SHOULD have had more of a grip, but look at the generation the parents are from - The age when people did get this "Great discipliner" at school and hated it so much many left illiterate and clutching a bad grudge against a system that worked against them.
What punishment did the MPs get with their expenses? The bankers that got this country into a financial mess? Yet people wanna come down hard on those with nothing, growing up in crime riddled sh!thole council estates?
People want to take whatever else they have and then tell em its their own fault - No wonder they're killing everyone, instead of society trying to help these kids its taken ANY opportunity they had at climbing out of the underclass and left them knowing that they're never gonna have a fancy car, nice house, good job. This will only breed more class hate.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

They can only take the houses off people if the one convicted is the "householder"

Having a council home is a privilege not a right. If they cannot behave in an acceptable manner, then why should taxpayers pay for their housing?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I understand the poverty causing a person to strike out at the Powers-That-Be and
decide to steal from others to buy food for that person and his/her loved ones.

I can understand that living in squalor and feeling wretched about one's life... it all
just starts again the next day.

But due to the 'Hand-Out' and 'Oh-what's on Jeremy Kyle Show Today?' culture, many
young people expect to be given a way forward.
I know as an older peron, it is easy for me to hark back to harder times, when parents
had no T.V, used candlelight and walked the streets searching for a job, but those times
were many, many years ago.
The 80's.

Robbing a young injured man... are you out of your freaking minds?!

link   
Immediate Deportation for the rioters and every member of their families. You'd never know it from our "news" coverage but ALL of the rioters are Muslim or African immigrants bitching about cuts in their welfare benefits.

Where is the QE II? We need her to ship large numbers of people back where they belong.

link   

Originally posted by stumason

They can only take the houses off people if the one convicted is the "householder"

Having a council home is a privilege not a right. If they cannot behave in an acceptable manner, then why should taxpayers pay for their housing?

If the householder is evicted then i agree, but still, i dont feel it does much good to make families homeless, looters need to be taught a lesson but this one seems a little ill thought out.

And if you work FT, pay your tax and pay for your council housing then it should not be seen as a privilege, but a right. If you want people to work you do have to provide housing - Industrial revolution is proof of this.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I'm sorry but you've got that wrong. I am from that generation when there was disipline in

schools, and my contemprories and i laugh about it, and are of the opinion that it should

be brought back...........as it hasn't done any of us any harm

And i would think that crime on on a council estate is an 'inside job' as i wouldn't think any

one goes into them to commit a crime

Then complaining about 'paltry' benifits...........be grateful for them they are only meant to

HELP between jobs NOT AS A WAY OF LIFE.........................and my generation never

had benefits only 'soup kitchens!'....

DEPRIVATION...................watch the footage of parts of Africa.....walking miles for a bowl of

rice and clean water and a tent!!!.......................thats deprivation.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
( A [ahem] -genetically- -targeted- super bug. [That doesn't take 10 years to 'work'..] I'm fed up to here with creatures who'v been given every advantage since 1960, and it was a futile throwing of pearls before swine. There, I have -finally- said it. )
edit on 10-8-2011 by simone50m because: edit

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

I agree.
Forgive me reminiscing, but I recall being beaten everyday by a Teacher
who believed I had the 'savvy' to go far.
The sad part was, as a youngster I rebelled and believed the canings,
stomach-punches and heavy breath as the Teacher leaned close and
promised me he would make sure I had a fighting chance were menacing
antics of a cruel man.

That man should get a medal for his verve... he was right and I was wrong.
Thank You Mr. Jones.
edit on 10-8-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
( A [ahem] -genetically- -targeted- super bug. [That doesn't take 10 years to 'work'..] I'm fed up to here with creatures who'v been given every advantage since 1960, and it was a futile throwing of pearls before swine. There, I have -fianlly- said it. )

You guys have been saying this for 400 years.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I would say deserving of no punishment. I am not from london, I did not witness this happen and it's reallly none of my buisness.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by gossipnancy
I would say deserving of no punishment. I am not from london, I did not witness this happen and it's reallly none of my buisness.

Awesome contribution. Bravo!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

The supermarket i saw on TV that was broken in to. No FOOD items had been 'looted' only

racks of cd's and alcohol and mass destruction..........obviously not hunger driven

desperation

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Make them personally do a clean up, if they don't do a proper drop clean up again. Then force them to a) pay for their damage and serve some jail time or b) if they can't pay, 10 years of jail. That would shut those #s up. These are anarchists.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
UK on the Brink of Civil War and here’s why.

• Parents who have not brought their children up to respect law and order and other worldly values.

• Feral youths with who refuse to work and live on state hand-outs and believe that being a celebrity is a vocation in life. The previous government positively created this culture giving money away to anyone who couldn’t be bothered to find a job.

• Multi-culturism has failed with Muslims refusing to integrate in to British life by not speaking English and trying to enforce Sharia law

• Corrupt politicians who illegally claim false expenses. What kind of message does that send out to everyone else?

• People not able to protect their property and loved ones with the use of force in case they hurt or injure their assailants

• Bankers still getting massive bonuses while everybody else is struggling to pay their bills

• The Police are not able to miss-handle prisoners in case it harms their human rights. The human rights bill is a complete joke and doesn’t help anybody.

• The Military involved in a war that can never be won and their actions are not appreciated by those they are trying to protect.

• The UK government still giving large cash hand-outs to allegedly poor countries even though we are struggling to pay our debts.

• The Russians making billions out of selling us over priced domestic gas

• Every ‘Great’ British company now owned by foreigners especially our Football clubs

• A weak coalition government that is totally split and is still not listening to the people.

God help us, no wonder there are riots in the streets.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join