It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What punishment is sufficient for the ones acting in the riots in the UK?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

The trouble is the 'kids' of today have TOO MANY RIGHTS !! and are not mature enough

to cope with that fact.

Teachers have lost (or had taken from them) the ability to disipline or punish. The pupils

talk over the teachers, loll in their seats, are rude, backchat and refuse to do detentions.

The parents rights to have a say in the 'raising' of their own children has been removed too

An example a 13 plus year old (a mere infant in my eyes) can have underage sex, the

morning after pill, the contraceptive pill all without the consent of the parent BUT should

they need their tonsils removed or something similar a parents consent is needed!!! NOW

WHERE IS THE LOGIC in that!!!

Because of all this human rights legislation we now have a generation of CHILDREN with

human rights that are NOT MATURE enough to handle them

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
you peeps do not get it, the protests started over a just cause and were peaceful. Later they spread and became violent. Look at were the protests kicked off, they are the poor areas. The areas were peeps have nothing. Little education, no job prospects, no future and in many cases constant harasment from the police.
If you mix rich and poor peeps together and you have this level of disparity in wealth this is going to happen.
They are kids,kids with little future they can see for themselves.
If you really cared you would do something about it. Become a mentor, or a youth worker. You dont know what this kids go through until you walk a mile in their shoes. Or else we can call them looters and criminals because in doing so we dont have to address these issues...
You dont have a clue... Where were you bought up

I get where your coming from but the reason for these riots is so much simpler than lack of job prospects and little education, (lol, do you know how many schools there are in London) remember it's the school holidays and these kids saw one group of people get away with looting with little inteferance from the police and realised that they wanted some of the same. I grew up in East London and am only 23 so you could say I'm still growing up in East London and I can assure you I know personally a few kids who got involved in the riots and when I asked them why their response was why not, I think that that says it all. If these kids wanted job prospects they would have stuck in school. I do agree with you on the need for mentors and youth workers, would love to do it myself but alas growing up in East London tainted me with a criminal record, but once my convictions are spent I will be opening my own youth centres around London and then further afield if successful. My point overall is kids will be kids and only us as a society can we give them the direction needed to succeed, but we can't take the blame away from those involved in the looting. I'm unemployed, (And probably unemployable) I never finished school, I was bought up in a broken home in a broken part of London (plaistow if you know it) but am I out looting? No I am sitting indoors completely disgusted by the images on my t.v screen.
edit on 10-8-2011 by strik2dae because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
reply to post by Suspiria

We had the cane when I was at school, kids were told it would be done in front of the whole school.

Not 1 person was caned because it wasnt needed. The fear and embarrassment was more than enough to keep people in check.

Now they know they can do whatever they want in schools, they ran riot in a school near me because they school said no to a snooker table! The teachers werent allowed to stop them.

Its no surprise that they act like scum when they get out into the real world.

You need to reward good behaviour but you also need to punish bad behaviour.

Too bloody true.
When I was at school there was the odd bit of cheek but hardly anyone got the cane!
Besides even the cane was more preferable than the school contacting your parents.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

You have to treat the roits like an invasion. Do whatever it takes to stop it. Send in all the kings horses and all the
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Worth a read -

The Tonypandy riots
en.wikipedia.org...

. . . . . . the incident continued to haunt Churchill through his career. Such was the strength of feeling, that almost forty years later, when speaking in Cardiff during the General Election campaign of 1950, Churchill was forced to address the issue, stating: "When I was Home Secretary in 1910, I had a great horror and fear of having to become responsible for the military firing on a crowd of rioters and strikers. Also, I was always in sympathy with the miners

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by strik2dae

I commend you for turning your life around
but the bottom line is "do unto others as you

would that they should do unto you" For the want of a better word these young tearaways

would be the first to shout 'foul' if someone went into their rooms and smashed or stole

their property (TV's X box's games etc.) and if they were old enough to have a car

(old treasured had worked for jalopy) overturned, smashed, burnt out.

There are some words that seem no longer to be in the dictionary of the young

RESPECT.......DISCIPLINE......CONSEQUENCES.......CONSIDERATION.......CARE

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Diyainoue

This is not my suggestion, but my mothers, she thinks that the government should find an empty inhabited island and put them all on there without food or shelter and allow them to survive in a society that they clearly are trying to create in England. My point was that perhaps some of them may be smart enough to create a way off of the island, but then I remembered who these people were and how idiotic most of them were and promptly shut up.

Personally, I can't think of anything that will be punishment enough,they've made innocent civilians homeless and jobless with no way out, they've arrested over 1000 people from the riots at the moment and it needs to be some form of proper punishment, I've considered community service but then I know how easy it is to bunk off of CS with no consequences, as my dear brother did so well.
I'm leaning more and more towards my mum's idea.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sophiehelene

You guys have done that before.

Turns out - you shipped out people who have overshadowed your empire.

The lesson you refuse to learn, is that there is something that these people have that is useful. And drastically misused and unaimed. You still haven't learned from the past, and you continue as a nation to refuse to learn from it.

Those willing to do, and those who are disaffected, actually have some point. Maybe not the point they are trying to make, but there is a consistent point worth evaluating.

Your mother's solution has been tried. The results live in many nations that are doing better than the UK is. That says something. It says something very important. You should really think hard on it as a nation.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The threads description includes,
"Ones acting in the riots"
Have You not considered that all of this may have been orchestrated to occur???
One year prior to the olympics.
Then the people will call for tougher and tighter security, water cannons and lots more security police.
Problem, reaction, solution.
WHO created the situation to start with?
Who actually knows who sends a black berry message?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

What punishment is sufficient for people who are DEFENDING Law and Order, as well as the most violent, greedy and corrupt establishment Britain has ever had?

Rioters are on the side of direct freedom and justice, not for supporting filthy violent cops who shoot teenagers in cold blood, just like their buddy Anders Breivik did. Remember that?

Diyainoue is full of fudge.
edit on 10/8/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitor

Dude, don't be silly.

The repurcussions for authorising the use of force to this level can be quite bad. Politically, the Home Sec and even the PM have their heads on the block over these disturbances and if it goes Pete Tong, they are out. It isn't worth the risk to try and incite a bunch of nobs into action like this. It is political suicide if it goes pear shaped.

The PM would much rather have continued his holiday in Italy and hoped to come back to the UK with all the hacking furore behind him for the new Parliamentary term. This unrest is just another load of ammo for his detractors to show his "lack of leadership".

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am quite disgusted about this whole 'treat humans like garbage' mentality so many of you are happy to espouse.

If you clamp down really hard like this, you will only create more riots tomorrow since the rioting is created as a response to over-bearing harsh penalties.

Please use a brain for once.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
No sensible middle ground. Stomp it fast, restore order, let the courts work it out....with realistic sentencing.

So simple. Instead, embrace see-sawing back and forth between coddling, and tyranny with nothing in between. Ridiculous.

link   
The best punishment i can think of is.
Non-stop forced viewing of Mr. Bean for a week.
After that they will be drooling and incoherent and utterly harmless.
Hmmm.... that might be too cruel.

link   

Originally posted by eletheia
reply to post by Flyer

The trouble is the 'kids' of today have TOO MANY RIGHTS !! and are not mature enough

to cope with that fact.

I think you have too many rights as well.

We should take away your rights too!

This is going to be great, we can just take away people's rights until we live in complete tyranny!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Public Hanging or live deathi guess?
edit on 10-8-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

Are you on drugs?

Seriously, you don't even live here so what makes you an authority on the subject? I was brought up and lived in these areas. Brixton born and raised, do you even know where that is? Lived in East London, #ing slum. Let me tell you something, here is a list of what these kids get;

Free education up to and including colleage
Free school meals while at school
Organisations that will take them on days out and activites for free, as long as they are from a low income family.
Their parents get free hosuing, most of the time fully furnished, depends on how many kids you have.
All property is paid for by the state, all bills are also!
Money depending on circumstances and family size but long term welfare claimants that I knew and this was 5 years ago, were getting cash in hand between 1000-1500k a month, cash, remember all your bills are paid for.
Gym memberships etc are heavily subsidised and in many areas free.
Adult classes and OU courses are free to low/no income households

thats just the tip of the iceberg! Most welfare claimants in London are better off than the average worker!

So why don;t you do your research before jumping to conclusions or better still, go live in these areas! I tell you what, rent a flat in Peckham for a month, see what you say at the end of it!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You missed the point of that post (deliberately it seems as you snipped off the qualifying statement beneath it).

What the poster was alluding to is that all this Human Rights legislation that is killing our society has had a detrimental effect on the way we treat our Youth, essentially being unable to control them for fear of legal or judicial reprisal for "breaching" someones "human rights"...

Thank Labour for that...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Punishment?

In Rome, they had a simple procedure. Kill everything. Today we have guns... Kill everything faster.

Once you abandon your humanity, you are no longer a human. You are an animal with hands stealing what's not yours. A pest. Pests are culled.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yes IF i was looting, destroying, stealing, setting alight cars which belonged to members of

the public, and behaving in an anti social manner I WOULD expect to have my rights taken away

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretFace

Indeed and that is the same all over the country when people don't want to work or decide to have babies regardless of their ability to support them, such as my own sister!

Now on her umpteenth man friend, two kids by different dads, an £850 a month house with a huge garden paid for, as is the Council tax. She also rips of the electricity firm with a dodgy meter, gets hundreds a month in child benefits etc and her BF sells illicit substances from her house. On top of that, there are the days out (nice when you don't have to work) and frequent holidays to Spain.

She's loaded, all at the taxpayers expense!

Meanwhile, law-abiding me pays about £1000/month in Tax and NI. I also pay £1000 a month in rent, with bills and council tax on top and most months, I am counting down the days until pay day so I can buy food. I'd love to buy a house, but can't as it is impossible to save and my 3 kids face dissapointment when birthdays and Christmas comes around as we can't get them everything they want.

Don't even ask when the last time I went on Holiday was...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join