It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran chides UK over riots

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Iran chides UK over riots

news.yahoo.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran urged Britain Tuesday to avoid using force to suppress riots that have rocked London, mischievously turning the tables on Western critics of its own human rights record.

In other reaction to the wave of looting and rioting sweeping the British capital, France and Austria issued travel advisories to their citizens and a Belgian lawmaker said he feared copycat violence spreading to his own country.

"It must be weird for Londoners to read travel advisory from foreign countries against the UK; usually the other way around," tweeted Gulf social commentator Mishaal al
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said the British government should "exercise restraint," avoid using violence and instead "talk to protesters and listen to their requests," the official IRNA news agency reported.

For many years Iran has been on the receiving end of criticism from Western countries over its human rights record, especially the crushing of demonstrations after the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in June 2009.

A member of Iran's parliament, Hossein Ebrahimi, told the semi-official Fars news agency that Britain should allow a delegation of human rights monitors to examine the situation.

The British riots broke out Saturday in a district of northern London when a protest over the police shooting of a suspect two days earlier led to violence.

The riots in London are the worst violence in the British capital in decades and politicians and police have firmly blamed the violence on criminals and hooligans.

Iran's state-run rolling news channel led with dramatic pictures from London, with one announcer describing the scenes as "civil war."

An official in Egypt, where unrest earlier this year ousted veteran President Hosni Mubarak, also could not resist making an ironic jab at a Western country that normally prides itself on its respect for the rule of law and for human rights.

"We will send Egyptian NGOs (to London) to check it out," said the official, in a reference to Westerners who monitored Mubarak's attempts to quash protests in Cairo's Tahrir Square.

Think Iran was right? Its better to not use force and listen to what the protesters want? Britain tells Iran not to use violence to suppress the demonstrators. Now Iran is telling Britain not to do the same thing.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-8-2011 by deltaboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well.

Are they saying it facetiously? Or sincerely?
Hard to tell at this point.
But, good find.
s/f

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Well.

Are they saying it facetiously? Or sincerely?
Hard to tell at this point.
But, good find.
s/f

Well they can just jog on. When have we listened to any Country except the U.S.A?

But in whole seriousness, just like Iran ignores the requests of Britain, so we will ignore the request of Iran.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
They’re not protesting anything and they haven’t issued any demands to listen to.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
As my other half pointed out - that's one of the reasons they can't put the army on the streets. We've taken a stance about Libya doing this. Be very hypocritical if we did it too.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shelbee
As my other half pointed out - that's one of the reasons they can't put the army on the streets. We've taken a stance about Libya doing this. Be very hypocritical if we did it too.

They can and DID for many decades. Northern Ireland, riots, burning people out of homes, Army sent in, Curfews, Internments, SAS, but they dare not do it on their own back yard.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Thanks Iran we really needed your advice since you guys are masters of how you police your people.

What do you think the British police going to do? Cut people's hands off for looting, hanging them for being a different religion and shooting the protesters/yobs?

Cops here only use guns if the other person has one, maybe if someone pretends to have one like some homeboy they might mistaken to having one and get shot apart from that it is very rare that British police fire on the looters and protesters in this country, so if they want to learn something learn that in the UK no one hardly gets killed by police for protests that happen here every other day.

Thanks Iran for your concern carry on building robots and missiles and wishing everyone else a good ending.
edit on 9-8-2011 by The time lord because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Wow, Iranian leadership has become the global sentiment equivalent of a Chihuahua dog. At the slightest noise, they immediately spring into action, bulging their eyes like they suffer from advanced thryroiditis, shaking like Katherine Hepburn, and yapping like an off centered washing machine. In reality, I think we all know they are a dog which can be punted across the yard with the slightest of kicks and, thus, ignorable and ineffective. On a somewhat related note, all you other children of the 80's subculture try this: read any statement out of Iran as if it were being delivered in the WWF by the Iron Shiek, complete with the "Haaarrrrrghhh....spit!" when refering to any country (or Hulk Hogan) other than Iran.

When Iran has become a model of freedom and gets the "Needs Improvement" removed from the "Works & Plays Well With Others" section of their report card removed, then they have license to advise other countries on matters such as this. Until that day comes, it's really quite laughable.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

They can and DID for many decades. Northern Ireland, riots, burning people out of homes, Army sent in, Curfews, Internments, SAS, but they dare not do it on their own back yard.

I understand what your saying, however, Northern Ireland is not the mainland of Britain. And within the current political storm of Libya and the stance the Government are trying to take in the Middle East, it would be political suicide to bring the army in.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Iran is using this as a joke
he thinks it is hilarious.
He is using the system and making
a joke of them.

Iran finds our political correctness a weakness
they can use against us.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If this kind of thing were to happen in iran they would all have been shot by now.

Never thought id live to see the day i wish britain was more like iran...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
Iran is using this as a joke
he thinks it is hilarious.
He is using the system and making
a joke of them.

Iran finds our political correctness a weakness
they can use against us.

You are right and guess why political correctness occurs because his religious cusons use guilt trips in case we offend their religion and free their women from being covered head to toe. They ban Christianity there in Iran and while here they use PC to hide any evidence of it example crosses and prayer in schools and certain food.
edit on 9-8-2011 by The time lord because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

(I wasn't saying the sentiment (whether they said it or not) was right. I just said it was a good find.....
just in case you misinterpreted...

My thoughts are with you all in the UK....the home of my ancestors. I think the entire Middle East at this point (yup, including Israel), should shut their bloody cake holes and get to housekeeping.

But then, I think every naton on this planet should do that, every day.
Cheers, cuz.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Think Iran was right? Its better to not use force and listen to what the protesters want?

The people rioting and looting ARE NOT the initial protestors, they are just idiots, anarchists and criminals who always interrupt peaceful protests for their own fun. The original group of protestors was a small group of friends and family of the dead man who stopped on saturday evening while the idiots have continued days of criminal behaviour.

Please don't assume that the police are stopping, arresting or using force on people protesting because they're not.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I understand what your saying, however, Northern Ireland is not the mainland of Britain. And within the current political storm of Libya and the stance the Government are trying to take in the Middle East, it would be political suicide to bring the army in.

Yes not "mainland britain". Good excuse that.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

So true. They warned earlier they may have to use plastic baton rounds. They use them all the time in Northern Ireland.

Any decision to use baton rounds would not be taken lightly, he said. "We are not going to throw away 180 years of policing with communities quickly. The repercussions and change to the way we police if we take the decision to use them will be long-lasting."

www.guardian.co.uk...

As you say not in their own back yard. That would be a travesty.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Yes not "mainland britain". Good excuse that.

What excuse would that be?

My partner was talking about the current situation in the middle east in reference to not bringing in the army on the streets.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
We just got trolled by Iran .

Personally I think it's genius.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
What a bunch of IDIOTS!!! So the Iranians are going to chastize the UK but they arent going to say anything about their Syrian buddies next door? I swear these folks lose credibility EVERY time they open their pathetic little pie holes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join