It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Lucky' Lotto Winner Joan Ginther a Math Professor with Stanford Degree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
www.opposingviews.com

was she lucky or smart?

Joan R. Ginther, a 63-year-old woman from Texas, has won multiple million dollar payouts four times over two decades. First, she won $5.4 million, then a decade later, $2 million, then two years later $3 million and in the spring of 2008, she won $10 million.

The odds of this winning streak have been calculated at one in eighteen septillion. If this were 'luck,' it could only happen once every quadrillion years.

According to Harper's reporter Nathanial Rich, who recently wrote an article about the lotto winner, Ms. Ginther is a former math professor with a PhD from Stanford University specializing in statistics
(visit the link for the full news article)
Related News Links:

blogs.houstonpress.com
abcnews.go.com
edit on 9-8-2011 by juveous because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Aug 9 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2011 by juveous because: been a while

edit on 9-8-2011 by juveous because: whoops

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So I just heard about this on the news today even though this is kind of a year old, it recently was brought back up because now some consider this woman possibly more than just lucky.

Who thinks this woman actually statistically analyzed the scratch offs and is banking big from the math? Man if she even hinted that she knew what she was doing,that would be some gangsta math

She now lives in Vegas.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ive never seen a website link as the topic title before on ATS

But anyway back to topic...

Wow she must have a lot of taxes to pay

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
With odds like that I would have to imagine she has figured out a formula that at least improves her chances of winning. I can't imagine there is any sure fire way to work the system. Either way....props to her!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

lol its been a while since i made a thread, give me a break.

Edit: i see its fixed now

edit on 9-8-2011 by juveous because: fixed

link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

link   
I don't know what this lady is up to, what she has figured out but I can tell you, it is not luck.

Not saying she has an inside person, winning that often would only draw attention to it. She has thought of something and every now and then it works out for her.

Enough inspiration for me to start looking into it a bit and get a few ideas of my own going. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Gangsta math? Is that like "If Leo Spuchelli has eight tons of coke, Tyrell Jacobs has seventeen hookers, and Chopper Harrison has eighty two uzis and a clutch of grenades, how many years of time do they do in total?"

But in all seriousness, the chances are very slim that she achieved this insane result by pure chance. Seems she must have a system, about which she seems to be keeping quiet... this ladies last will and testament promises interesting revalations!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There is no way in hell that woman was that lucky, the only luck I've ever got was to be gifted on 4chan.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
They don't say how many tickets she bought. So those outrageous statistics they list are probably assuming she just bought the winning tickets and not any losers.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
here is an article on a similiar situation with scratch tickets....
url=http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/01/ff_lottery/all/1]cracking scratch lotto ticks[/url]

..wonder if he would have told the lottery corp if he was hitting the big prizes?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
She probably programmed a random number generator. I myself have made a random number generator program in Visual Basic 2008. Maybe she has the formula for how the Lottery picks random numbers, then plugged them into her own formula.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

if there was a way to do it, putting all your time and money into trying to pull it off would be worth the payoff

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Just did some googling to try and get a sense of those huge numbers. I found one source claiming that the "total number of grains of sand on all the Earth's beaches and deserts" was less than 3 septillion. So 18 septillion would be six planet earths' worth of sand. Now imagine that in all that sand, two randomly selected grains have a certain number etched on them microscopically, and no other grains of sand do. Now imagine a lucky person (who purely by chance happens to have a degree in rainmain-style statistical math) is asked to select two grains of sand from all that, purely "randomly," and comes up with those exact two grains, out of six planet earths' worth.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This seems to be a few months old now but it's an interesting story and I wanted to add a couple of thoughts which no one else seems to have mentioned. It seems unlikely she won millions from "scratch tickets", she was probably playing the "lotto", as stated in the thread title, meaning she was picking a bunch of numbers. Now lets keep in mind she specializes in statistical math. That means she probably analyzed the existing lotto results to look for trends and patters that would allow her to make predictions about the most "probable" future numbers.
edit on 26-10-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join