It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow just dropped 400 points

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
in the last 30 minutes after the Fed notes were released.

Whahoo!

edit on 9-8-2011 by leo123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Nice and here I had given up hope that it would be another declining day
edit on 9-8-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Wow! Does that mean its a good time to buy stocks?
I'm truely ignorant, really........

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Can someone please explain what does it mean when DOW drops points? I'm assuming its a very bad thing... right?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

it means the sky will fall on your head if it drops to the 5000-7000 range

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
And now it's up again OP. Guess you shoulda waited 15 minutes before posting?

Line 2

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

It can't drop that much in one day. They have put safe-guards in where it'll stop trading automatically after it drops a certain amount. I think that amount is 600 points, or 5%, something like that.

Someone who knows for sure can point it out, but yeah, the DOW can't drop that much in one day.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder

It can't drop that much in one day. They have put safe-guards in where it'll stop trading automatically after it drops a certain amount. I think that amount is 600 points, or 5%, something like that.

Someone who knows for sure can point it out, but yeah, the DOW can't drop that much in one day.

I'm not to sure about that, it dropped 634 points yesterday.
As far as I know, the dow can tank completely?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That drop would have occurred regardless of what the Fed announced. Half of the investors are expecting one course, half are expecting the opposite, and all of them are desperately searching for a sign of security. It actually looks like investors have decided that, warts and all, the US is still the safest place for their money as the rest of teh world spirals towards catastrophe. Not saying the US isn't heading downhill, but most investors seem to believe that at least the US' brakes are still functional.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It's all imaginary anyway.

It absolutely amazes me that as species we've gone out of our way to fabricate some item then attribute an arbitrary "value" to the item then go even further and set up a "market" where the fluctuation of that arbitrary value can be wagered on. As if there wasnt enough real concerns man had to fabricate the very thing that will be its downfall.

Then that same species goes on to ban wagering on card games played among friends on private property.

What a bunch of clowns.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The markets are actually up. The Dow is up 150 points. Hoot for over dramatization. Markets fluctuate. The market is up, not down. Just want to point that out.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I'm not sure, but I think the automatic braking system shuts the market down when it drops a certain percentage of the total market. The DJIA, S&P 500, etc. are all just indicators of how the market is doing, they include big companies with normally heavily traded stocks.

I am going to look into it, at least for my own benefit.
edit on 9-8-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

On the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), one type of trading curb is referred to as a "circuit breaker." These limits were put in place after Black Monday in order to reduce market volatility and massive panic sell-offs, giving traders time to reconsider their transactions. At the start of each quarter, the NYSE sets three circuit breaker levels at levels of 10%, 20%, and 30% of the average closing price of the Dow Jones Industrial Average for the month preceding the start of the quarter, rounded to the nearest 50-point interval. As of the second quarter of 2011, these levels are 1,200 points, 2,400 points, and 3,600 points respectively.[1] Depending on the point drop that happens and the time of day when it happens, different actions occur automatically:

Source

Here is what I found out. They are called trading curbs.
As you can see, I was wrong in my first post... They do use the DJIA.
edit on 9-8-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is not particularly surprising.

Many of the orders to buy are placed in advance.
They are set to buy at a set level.(low)
They will also level at a point based on the "channel". Support and resistance are the normal buy-sell boundaries traders use to gauge a buy-sell-stop.
This is an unusually volatile market that would require traders to set much tighter stops to protect their principle capital.

After this short "adjustment", expect a further drop as the "short" positions are placed.

Thursday and friday will also witness significant directions beyond previous support levels.(breakout).

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
lol

dow finishes up 400 points

note to self : don't be an idiot during periods of low liquidity ( fed announcement )

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You decide to start a company and that company starts growing and people start INVESTING in it. Now, that company is big enough to be put up on wall street. More investors put their "money" into the company and become shareholders. In a few years, the company has really taken off, and stocks now cost $100 per, as compared to the $10 back before it became "large". That's when the "elite" step in and start to manipulate it...causing it to either rise or fall. Once they get it to a certain point...they crash it...and then buy all the stock of the company for PENNIES on the dollar. This is HOW the Royal Family obtained their wealth and 80% of the MAJOR businesses of the world.

Watch what happens when gold plummets! How much does gold cost today, as compared to 10 years ago? Now, what would happen if 'they' decided to make gold worth 1 penny an ounce, and you bought it at $800 an ounce.
Gold, silver, etc...is just like the stock market...all manipulated!

I'm not an "expert" but that's what i got from my research. I would also advise ANYONE to sell their gold NOW....and buy.......LAND!!!! That's where the REAL money is at...and that's what "they" want: the LAND not the house!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder

The circut breakers kick in at a 1200 point move and even then there are other conditions.

A 600 point swing in one day - amazing. The VIX is going through the roof!
edit on 9-8-2011 by leo123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

thanks for that clarification!

I learned something

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Yep, The VIX is king right now.

The volatility of this market is not for the timid.

This is the time that will require the utmost adherence to a traders money management strategies .

Money to be made here if you have strong discipline. And a good fiscal investment strategy.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U

My "research" has been done with my own cold hard cash.
I have no real pitty for those that watch as their 401's go down in flames because of lack of knowledge of the ways of our market.

Learn the market, and how to trade in it, before you hand your hard earned money over to some schmuck that will leverage your cash to the tune of 60:1 before it's gone.....he has his...where is yours??

Yes, 401's are a great part of most folks pay. and in general, a good investment. But the money managers that "invest" your money, are schisters at best. Yes, it goes to the top of the banking system.(did you really think they had your best interest in mind?)

We all spend a lot of time learning our chosen professions...but few learn the most important one.

How to manage our money!

Don't bitch about how the "Royal Family obtained their wealth" ....
Learn how they did it...and take it back!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join