It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

I would still believe in God even if I had my third and fourth brains removed.
There are a lot of people who would argue your heart is your second brain, so if that is true, the colon would be third, but by shear weight of nerve matter, it would be the second.
Maybe you would have to talk to someone on a heart machine. I think they have given up on that idea any more. Needs new technology, perhaps, but generally, people with no heart would be dead.
So it would be hypothetical to ask someone with no heart and no colon, what they thought about God.
They may not describe it in terms of a feeling, that would be my guess.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
That part about your mom, hugs, kisses, all that.
Like in the movie I was talking about. If your mother was gone, how could your prove she loved you?

Again, there is evidence to back the claims...also, the claim itself is not outlandish or founded in abstract notions. love, or the emotion of, has been measured in the brain...
We know as a scientific fact people can experience the emotion of love
we know that people love others
we know parents more often than not have protective and loving emtions for their children.

So, I am not suggesting I am talking to aliens through channeling, I am suggesting based on my understandings of what love is, that good ole mom loves me based on the evidence presented.

If she is gone, I could still produce evidence to this through pictures of her hugging me, letters she has written me, etc...and again I will stress, the claim itself is not remarkable..

Also, God is (arguably) not a feeling, it is an entity that has (according to "holy" books) interacted with the physical world repeatedly.
If the biblical version of god exists, then we know it is a entity capable of changing things physically...he walked around in the garden of eden according to genesis, he did many maleviolent things to man...this is not a thought, this is a being..and therefore evidence of this being should be put forward, yet none exists...

So, the love of parents senario is invalid even in that sense.

I would never join a specific religion. I was raised a specific religion but came to my own conclusions without anyone telling me that there are so many possibilities out there, that I don't have to believe what someone taught me just because they did.

I get what you're saying, but just feel differently about it.

Good, religion is a destroyer.
What you are feeling is your own spiritual self and its connection to the greater universe that is personal...now, that can be debated as to if its a biological sense controlled 100% by natural brain responses, or something deeper...but either way, it is real (considering its been measured)...my only complaint is ultimately you are taking something personal to you and you alone, and giving it a name and seperating it from yourself...which is not a spiritual thing, but a religious thing...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

I would still believe in God even if I had my third and fourth brains removed.
There are a lot of people who would argue your heart is your second brain, so if that is true, the colon would be third, but by shear weight of nerve matter, it would be the second.
Maybe you would have to talk to someone on a heart machine. I think they have given up on that idea any more. Needs new technology, perhaps, but generally, people with no heart would be dead.
So it would be hypothetical to ask someone with no heart and no colon, what they thought about God.
They may not describe it in terms of a feeling, that would be my guess.

My father in law has a heart and a colon but unfortunately his lungs are pretty much gone. He was dead back in January but fought back and has done so several times. Ask him what he thinks about God and he'll tell you that he had a conversation with God and told him he wasn't ready for them and they weren't ready for him. Organs aside... my guess is if you seperated physical from spiritual the belief in God wouldn't be a "feeling" but a "knowing". Something you don't have to describe or wonder about. It's just there.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by eddy2258
You are not alone.

Seems like this book would be perfect for you if you havent read it.
rael.org...

Thanks for this, I will check it out.

Do not read that book.

ok, you can if you wan't, but just understand what it is before you go in...it is a wacky cult about some sycophant that speaks of little green men.
Not like jokingly little green men, but literal little green alien men with antenna's, beards, and flying saucers that claim they built the earth, made the perfect race (the israeli's...hense the name Raelian), etc...its good for totally absurd entertainment (a man's beard is actually antenna's to talk to the little green men), etc.

Its a joke...but the cult isn't...not really, yet they sort of are also. They claim all sorts of outlandish crap, one year they said they successfully cloned a human being and are being quiet about it, they are the ones that hold the nude parades now and then for random reasons, etc.

In saying that, it is an equally valid religion...and actually, I probably would choose that before other more mainstream religions considering its basically a UFO religion which is sort of fun and slightly based on (pseudo) science. Still, they make scientologists look rational

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

my only complaint is ultimately you are taking something personal to you and you alone, and giving it a name and seperating it from yourself...which is not a spiritual thing, but a religious thing
reply to post by SaturnFX

Explain that more please?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Haha, yeah thanks for the heads up on that

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
How do we learn and interpret the world around us? Do we... see.... sense.... read.... I think we learn from within and from others?

There are many who say there is no proof.....but can we not learn from our own experiences and others? Why do we discount the millions that have died only to have had similar experiences? They all say the same thing pretty much unless they experience a "Hell". For some I would say there experience in the after life was not only real...but it changed them profoundly and shared the experience so others may learn and take heed.

Here is one of many such experiences. I encourage everyone to listen to others with an open mind and heart. We are continuously learning and this my friends is a video of a man that is a well respected individual not only in his community but also in his profession. This experience made him go from an Atheist to a believer.

Check it out.....

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

my only complaint is ultimately you are taking something personal to you and you alone, and giving it a name and seperating it from yourself...which is not a spiritual thing, but a religious thing

Explain that more please?

Are you saying -you- are God?

Now reflect on your answer...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Aw hell no, I'm not saying that I'm God. I've been accused of having a god complex before but no, I'm not saying that at all.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I hear ya and truly appreciate your reply. I was listening to a CoastToCoast show on this (your theory) last night, it was very interesting... From what I gather from your reply is this, we should entertain a hypotheses that all humans are all predisposed genetically to point to God (using POINT losely)? That logic does make sense, but it feels so wrong "to me".. Sorry, I mentioned the word feeling...

If this was the case, then I do believe we wouldn't have any non-believers because they have the same predisposition as I do, the believer, correct?

I will give you this, I think there are emotions/feelings/frequencies that touch the brain in so many ways we don't understand just yet. I think when God is ready for us to understand, we will. (Okay had to end it with God willing us to know.)

You do bring up a great point..

Thanks,

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Aw hell no, I'm not saying that I'm God. I've been accused of having a god complex before but no, I'm not saying that at all.

Pity, that would have made more sense if you said something to the effect of "Probably" or "one of em"...etc...

So ya, you say you believe in god, you say your not god, that then removes your own personal divine nature and instead seperates it into something completely different you must appease

Many religions seperate man from god, (many religions don't also). Whats amusing to me is that the pop religions that use the seperation typically have their icons (jesus is a good example) telling them there is no difference
I and the father are one, you are my brothers and sisters, I can do all this cool stuff because I have faith, you can also.
etc...he says over and over in many ways that we are the divine ones that forgot basically..or part of it anyhow, not some seperation
the seperation of god to people is a church thing that basically reverse all things jesus said to make a business called religion...but I digress

Are you saying this feeling is for feeling something else, or are you saying this feeling is that you personally are something more...I suspect its you feeling your something more than just skin and bones..that there is an essence in you personally that is much greater than the bag of meat you currently dwell in...

So, why would you feel that, then place it away from you...if the feeling is coming from you, then maybe it -is- you...

just some philosophical angles to consider here.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Old video

Anyhow, I won't go into the play by play of the guys dream, but wanted to use the "message" he got to shed a different light on it.

he said the overall mission was to "love your neighbor, love god".

Now, my post before this one discusses the non-duality of the universe...pantheism I guess..we are all part, there is no seperation.

Perhaps the love your neighbor, love god message deserves a slash verses a comma...aka, same thing...your neighbor is also part of (or a different representation of) this god thing...love your neighbor/god in order to find heaven/nirvana/whatever.

The ancients (I believe it may be aztecs, but its been about a decade since I read about this, so could have my natives mixed up) used to believe we are all the same people, just different examples of it. different eyes so to speak...so, to strike a person is pretty much striking yourself (do unto others..) Its a meme that is reported throughout many religions worldwide...that we are all the same (in a sense) and that the seperation of the divine to man is a manmade illusion that keeps us pinned to a unworthy and non-faith in self style self inflicted enslavement.

makes sense. (feeling philosophical today, so don't fault me on speculation over rationalization)
edit on 9-8-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

An old video to you and I.....but new I am sure to many.

Its one I love to share...not because of the hell part...but because of the message.

What you say does make sense and yes...this message is one I believe Jesus taught and the ones before him as well. Before Christianity there was a Gnostic and mystical sense that was prevailing among the people. This type of love was not a controllable one....hence....Pope Constantine came into the scene.

I love this subject....and love hearing everyone's perspective.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Woah! 1 account of an Atheist agreeing to a man-made belief system, believers often think that adds credit to the faith, I wonder why?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Pity, that would have made more sense if you said something to the effect of "Probably" or "one of em"...etc...

So ya, you say you believe in god, you say your not god, that then removes your own personal divine nature and instead seperates it into something completely different you must appease

Many religions seperate man from god, (many religions don't also). Whats amusing to me is that the pop religions that use the seperation typically have their icons (jesus is a good example) telling them there is no difference
I and the father are one, you are my brothers and sisters, I can do all this cool stuff because I have faith, you can also.
etc...he says over and over in many ways that we are the divine ones that forgot basically..or part of it anyhow, not some seperation
the seperation of god to people is a church thing that basically reverse all things jesus said to make a business called religion...but I digress

Are you saying this feeling is for feeling something else, or are you saying this feeling is that you personally are something more...I suspect its you feeling your something more than just skin and bones..that there is an essence in you personally that is much greater than the bag of meat you currently dwell in...

So, why would you feel that, then place it away from you...if the feeling is coming from you, then maybe it -is- you...

just some philosophical angles to consider here.

I stay far away from the business of religion.

I'm saying that it's a feeling but it's a feeling that's so strong, so right, so.. I don't have a word for it. I just KNOW.

I've had a few strange moments in my life, well, two actually. One - I was a kid and in the back of my folks station wagon coming home from a family trip, we're sitting at a toll waiting when some old homeless looking guy comes up to the car, looking at me like he's seeing a ghost, he starts going on and on about how he sees God in me, that I'm a child of God. The man was practically speaking in tounges. Second time was visiting my aunt in the hospital shortly before she passed. She grabbed my hand and looked at me and said that I was special to God and meant for something else. No idea what that meant but I can tell you she was barely awake but when she grabbed my hand she sprung to life, wide awake, and she slipped back into unconsciousness after.

I'm not saying any of that means anything. It's just something I think about from time to time and I wonder...

Like a lot of kids, I went to CCD, had confirmation and all that but the entire time I never had to question it. I already believed. Ya know, some of the kids in the class spent their time joking around not wanting to be there. Some of the kids had a ton of questions. One kid decided he didn't want to be confirmed because he wasn't sure he believed. For me, it was just a routine. I didn't feel like I had to learn anything and the confirmation thing to me was just a formality, mostly done for my mom and dad.

I have never felt compelled in any way to follow religion. I don't feel that God is a physical man or the bible-God, more like this enormous wonderful (I hate to use the word energy) that is everywhere and in everything, I can't believe people can't see it and feel it.

I don't feel like I'm anything more than anyone else, but I feel lucky in the fact that I feel this way when there are so many people out there questioning and lost and wondering and trying to figure it out. I really "feel" and believe that everything is already layed out in front of us, just have to be able to see it and I do wonder why some can't.

I don't know much about the bible, I know some but not much. But I don't feel like I have too... does that make any sense?

And thanks! I like the philisophical angles!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
reply to post by cj6

You wrote:

["God is inside of all of us"]

I have a special dispensation from that.

Quote: [" Every individual should have their own personal relationship with God"]

Or not. Some prefer Nirvana or atheism.

Some prefer NIrvana or atheism that's true. People can prefer anything they like. Personally for me, it's not a preference or even a choice. Just saying.

I genuinely wish, that this will bring you what you want/need, and I have no objections to your OP whatsoever.

My objections were directed at the sweeping generalizations in the post I addressed.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Every individual should have their own personal relationship with God

This also is an idea that I (personally) find reprehensible.

Every individual should have the freedom to believe what they wish. And i'm sure if a benevolent God exists, he will judge you on your merits, and not because you made fawning professions of faith all your life.
edit on 9-8-2011 by FaithNoMore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FaithNoMore

Not exactly....one confession of many accounts that indeed say the same thing. Only if you read upon the many accounts will you then see there is a connection. Why must we discount others experience? Because they are not our own? Had you experienced this.....would you tell others? Would you want them to believe even though it was your personal experience?

The OP is stating as well as the rest of us the belief is within and not with a man made religion...although one can learn from them as well on their journey of spiritual truth.

You do not have to believe.....its a choice that is yours to make.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FaithNoMore
reply to post by bogomil

Every individual should have their own personal relationship with God

This also is an idea that I (personally) find reprehensible.

Every individual should have the freedom to believe what they wish. And i'm sure if a benevolent God exists, he will judge you on your merits, and not because you made fawning professions of faith all your life.
edit on 9-8-2011 by FaithNoMore because: (no reason given)

I agree. Everyone needs to find their own way, or not, but it's not up to anyone to tell the individual how to do that.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Its a meme that is reported throughout many religions worldwide...that we are all the same (in a sense) and that the seperation of the divine to man is a manmade illusion that keeps us pinned to a unworthy and non-faith in self style self inflicted enslavement

Funny, it has always struck me as odd how people seem to feel so alone. Or like they are the only one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join