It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Racism a brain disorder?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hey folks.

ok, so this has bugged me.
I have a friend whom is a racist..self admitted one. I wouldn't say he is proud to be a racist mind you, he just admits it like someone would admit they have brown eyes sort of thing.

Now, he has been to prison for 8 years, however, he said he was racist before that (sometimes, extreme conditions can make you temporary anything).
He has a degree in medicine also, and his parents were middle class liberal leaning types...so, he was not raised with that mindset, he said he just is...he was born that way.

He is also trying to actively diminish it, both with a mix of trying to purposefully befriend many different people, and with a bit of laymens therapy from me...but I wonder, is there a brain disorder associated with racism?

I did a bit of research on this and found some interesting results
Source

Never has a human population been found that has no racial stereotypes. Not in other cultures or far-flung countries. Nor among tiny tots or people with various psychological conditions.

Until now.

Children with Williams syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that makes them lack normal social anxiety, have no racial biases. They do, however, traffic in gender stereotypes, said study researcher Andreas Meyer-Lindenberg of the University of Heidelberg in Germany

So, there are reverse disorders, which makes me then believe that yes, there could very well be a opposing measurable syndrome that increases racist behavior.

It seems that for some reason though, there really isn't a proper study (that I noted) done on the subject beyond some minor pokings into it about 30 years back. Not sure why, but I think its worthy of a investigation.

The American Psychiatric Association has never officially recognized extreme racism (as opposed to ordinary prejudice) as a mental health problem, although the issue was raised more than 30 years ago. After several racist killings in the civil rights era, a group of black psychiatrists sought to have extreme bigotry classified as a mental disorder. The association's officials rejected the recommendation, arguing that because so many Americans are racist, even extreme racism in this country is normative—a cultural problem rather than an indication of psychopathology.

Now, going back to my friend, he didn't have that type of cultural norm experience. I think that in itself indicates that some forms of racism is indeed a mental disorder or syndrome.

Googling it tends to result only in blogs, musings of commentators, etc. Why hasn't this been studied further?

Anyhow, whats your respectful opinion...pure conditioning and environmental? Total brain disorder? a mix?

Personally, I think its mostly conditioning for the typical case, however, I also do believe that there is a disorder...and again, the first clip I provided does show a studied reverse effect, meaning it is very plausable effect to begin with...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The ones who claim to be not racist have the real problem.Man has always been tribal,it's in our dna all a part of self preservation.My thoughts are everyone is racist in one way or another,either that or you're a liar.Personally I'd rather put my trust in a racist than a liar.on a thread about London I had a guy pull the race card for me saying that a lot of the rioters were black-the truth isn't racism,yet he started spouting about my fellow Scots without realising that it was racism by his standards.the masses have been brainwashed to see racism as not normal when it is.

cj6

link   
Its not a disorder its just part of being brought up in a racist society.

link   
Personally, I think its taught. Its upon conditioning of the brain that any type of hate exists.....Learned behavior.

Of course....what do I know.

Good topic though!!!!

Peace and love to you and yours!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxox

Jenn

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
The ones who claim to be not racist have the real problem.Man has always been tribal,it's in our dna all a part of self preservation.My thoughts are everyone is racist in one way or another,either that or you're a liar.Personally I'd rather put my trust in a racist than a liar.on a thread about London I had a guy pull the race card for me saying that a lot of the rioters were black-the truth isn't racism,yet he started spouting about my fellow Scots without realising that it was racism by his standards.the masses have been brainwashed to see racism as not normal when it is.

Yes, I agree, as a species, some racism is built into us for survival...this is helpful in war when we must see the enemy as some sort of non-human monster..and over endless generations dealing with wars against different nations that look different, its bound to have a lasting effect.

I guess I am talking more about the pronounced racism verses the bit of racism in all people/animals.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
By modern standards, every human being on earth would have been considered "racist" until about 50-100 years ago...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't see racism as a mental disorder. I'm a self admitted racist who thinks EVERYONE regardless of race should be treated fairly and have the same opportunities. through my personal life experience I've observed a particular group (race) of people who consistently under perform relative to the others. Racism is perfectly natural and I view it as a survival tactic although it's an outdated theory. Just as certain breeds of dogs are known to have specific mannerisms different races have their own stats of wealth or poverty, civility or anarchy and so forth. Calling it a mental order is a cheap way to get around the issue without addressing the underlying problems.

Racism can be broken down into two groups (whether right or wrong) You have ignorant hicks who hate people simply due to them being "black" and then you have racists who notice certain patterns through everyday interaction decide that a certain group may have lower status in a society. I champion the once proud black family that used to exist in large numbers in this country. It's sad what has become of them and I hope someday they figure it out.
edit on 9-8-2011 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I do not believe it is in any way a brain disorder. It may be a disorder in some rare cases possibly, but I think it is a trait that is taught/learned. In my case, I was raised in a family that has "mixed marriages" in it as well as growing up in a fairly racially mixed school system so I can honestly say in my case that I have no racist thoughts whatsoever (regardless of whether some people in this thread imply that I am lying). And I have always said to my daughters that I do not care what race they date - I just want the guy to respect, protect, and unconditionally love them. Well... and provide for them.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

There is racism among every single racial people on earth; I've seen it among Caucasians, Blacks, Asians, Aboriginals, Arabs, Indians, and so on....I've also encountered it among religious groups - not only of those with different beliefs but also racially who share the same religion.

A majority of people are racist except few would admit it for fear of being singled out for target practise. Quite frankly, I don't know what the big deal is. Just because one is racist, it does'nt mean they hate a particular race, it just means they don't particularly like a majority of them and prefer not mixing with them.

I'm Caucasian and regard myself as racist; I'm proud of my race, I'm proud of where I come from and I don't particularly like most ethnic groups but I don't hate any particular one as a whole.
edit on 9-8-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I don't think racism or prejudice, in any fashion, is wrong or a "disorder". It's normal behavior for the mind to group things while forming beliefs. I think that only hate crimes or saying hateful things, to purposely cause someone emotional distress, is the only thing that can be considered wrong, in regards to prejudices.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Speaking from personal experience I would say it is overwhelmingly a learned behavior. I am in my 60s and grew up in an area of the country and among people where racism was everywhere. Sadly, most of my friends and relatives who stayed in that area changed very little in their racial beliefs. Me, I was very fortunate, I had not been in VietNam very long until I was totally color blind. Over the years I have not met many combat veterans with hard-core racist beliefs.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think people are racists because of how they were taught, and what their experiences have been.
If you spent your life going to a "rev" Wright type church, or a Farraklan "muslim" cult, and parent's that believed this crap, and were told how the white devil is the cause of all your and the world's problems, and you just never knew or were friends with any white people, you'd naturally have prejudices. And same if you were a white guy living in a most all white place and watched COPS, or the 1st 48, or local news, or MTV2, you'd obvously think all blacks were crime lovin' thugs that can't fit in society. But if you come to actually know people of the various races, you realize that there are great upstanding people of all races, and there are no-class gutter trash in all races. And not just black and white, but brown and yellow too. It's basically ignorance. But sometimes also our overt PC government/media has an anti-white bias, that is fed to children and non-whites as truth, and then some things about certain groups may be true but unPC, and if you state them, the cultural Marxist types will think you are racist, like bringing up the dominance of black crime, and black racism, and the system's acceptance of it.
edit on 9-8-2011 by tom502 because: missed word

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
When I was growing up in a predominately white and hispanic area, there was a huge Vietnamese refugee infiltration in southern California during the 70s. At first I was very scared being less than 10yrs old. They were different, loud, rude and smelled funny. They used to dig in our trash cans and eat our neighborhoods cats. Many of them were caught with their garages filled with hanging skinned cats
They refused to learn how to speak English, were given loans for nice cars and houses.....I became very racist against them at an early age.....

I moved away from California and have not really encountered any in many years, but the thought of them bring back memories of intolerance and anger....Not something I am proud of at all........

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
People are free to believe whatever the hell they want be it based on truth, lies...whatever. YOU are the one living out that experience and no one has the right to tell you how to do it. That being said...racism in and of itself isnt the issue...its people who use that platform to justify hateful practices. I dont care how you feel about blacks....dragging them behind trucks is not something that ones does. I dont care if you dont trust white people as far as you can throw them...don't throw them. Its really not that hard to wrap your mind around. We will always carry around bias and prejudice...well as long as we arent seeking to ascend as a species and leave all that behind...but thats another topic that most people arent ready for.....but certain things are just common sense. I dont care what color you are...only through coexistence can we move forward an coexistence need not be warm and fuzzy. I dont want a damn hug. this is a wonderful and exciting time to be alive right now and thats being largely ignored because people are still worrying about color and just what that means in regards to social standing. last time I checked there were all colors in the proverbial bread lines.

edit on 9-8-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
When I was growing up in a predominately white and hispanic area, there was a huge Vietnamese refugee infiltration in southern California during the 70s. At first I was very scared being less than 10yrs old. They were different, loud, rude and smelled funny. They used to dig in our trash cans and eat our neighborhoods cats. Many of them were caught with their garages filled with hanging skinned cats
They refused to learn how to speak English, were given loans for nice cars and houses.....I became very racist against them at an early age.....

I moved away from California and have not really encountered any in many years, but the thought of them bring back memories of intolerance and anger....Not something I am proud of at all........

I would not call that racist at all. That's a natural feeling, that you have invaders in your land that do not seek to assimilate. The racists are moreso them, because they are in a different land and they refuse to obey the laws, and seek to fit in, and then the racist anti-white government gives them rewards, while it's own citizens get spit on.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

You have ignorant hicks who hate people simply due to them being "black" and then you have racists who notice certain patterns through everyday interaction decide that a certain group may have lower status in a society.

Really? You see these patterns? And that gives you an "excuse-letter" for being a racist? It doesn't.

And to the OP;

It is a mental disorder; just wait and see. Of course, reports on real mental disorders can't be published...the crazy people and hardcore coke sniffers are running things after all.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I'm Caucasian and regard myself as racist; I'm proud of my race, I'm proud of where I come from

If you are a racist then it is obvious to anyone with any real intellect that you DO NOT KNOW WHERE YOU COME FROM.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think one could be predisposed to having racist thoughts based on brain chemistry and makeup, sure...
BUT, I believe the majority of "racism' is due to other factors that have nothing to do with that. Some people like being racist because it makes them feel they belong to a special group of people. Some people are racist because they believe certain things about other races that they find negative. There's alot of reasons one can be racist that have nothing to do with brain makeup.
For example, I live in an area that is mostly white. When I was little, I was only ever around 1 or 2 black people. I remember thinking that they were "dirty", simply because their skin was dark. I didn't know WHY their skin was a different color, just that it was. This is just a difference between people; it has nothing to do with the way my brain worked.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My belief is simply that racism stems mainly from the ego. There is no way you can say a child born from a racist, who is then raised in a loving and tolerant environment will be racist at heart. If you didn't think you were better than a certain race then why would you be racist? Maybe you were taught to be stupid, and childish

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Some are taught to be human, to love & forgive but only to realize that majority in our world suffers from a serious brain condition.

Racism is not a brain condition. Every single race stands guilty, though some get away with their blatant hatred.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join