It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post your, Quick tips for all things survival: Here

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
One thing which I learned the hard way is to keep your feet dry every chance you get.

A good rule is too always put your boots, or shoes, inverted on a pair of stakes if they
are not on your feet. I learned this after getting "jungle rot" in my toes while in the military.

The doc said, "If you had been here two weeks ago it would be a simple cure, if you want
to wait about a week, we could just take your feet off." So much for choices. If you ever
get the chance to get this condition -- pass it up.
It will also keep out unwanted guests like snakes and spiders

One new twist I have found is quite cleaver.

I once worked in a plant where we brought in supplies which were packed along with some
large packages of "silica jel" desicant . These were one and sometimes three pound bags.
When I went outdoors to hunt or fish, I would take a couple of these in a plastic bag. When
my boots came off, the bags went into the toes too draw out the sweat and water. When I
put my boots back on, I would leave the bags exposed to the air,and/or sun, for several
minutes to let them dry out. I still put my boots on the stakes and this is a good place for
the bags to dry while I eat breakfast. If you don't have access to the larger ones, take
several small packs and tie them up in a cloth or old handkerchief.

Another tip I would like to pass along is for those whose boots are just a little too tight
across the toes or enstep.

Try putting some large dry beans into a plastic bag which will fit into this area. Fill the bag
with water and seal it closed. Dip the boots in water enough for it to soak through and sit
them upright. Place the bag of beans tightly into the wet boots and allow the beans to swell
as they absorb the water. Let the boots sit with the bean bag inside until they dry. Remove the
bag and put the boots on.

This will have stretched leather or fabric uniformly and they should fit much better.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here's a very important one: if bitten by a brown recluse spider immediately cut, place, and tape a potato skin to the affected area, take an antihistamine/benadryl and a Tylenol and do not remove potato skin for at least 2 days before replacing it again for several more days. if you catch it early enough it shouldn't leave a scar, if left unattended you will be VERY SORRY. I wont post pics, but you can look them up on google images of brown recluse bites.....VERY DISTURBING and potentially life threatening in a survival situation if not properly cared for

[img]http://[/img]

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
hmm

keep one bullet in the chamber for when SHTF day starts

End the misery put one in your head ...

Why survive in misery ?

When you can die in peace?

After all your only delaying your death with the survival?

What are you lookng forward to a destroyed earth at the age of 80?

no thanks....

if its meant to be then its meant to be

don't like it talk to the ones running the show after you die

suicide is a cowardly death.

I will take an honorable death over a cowards death any day.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I am new to all things survival and am learning as much as i can. I have nothing to add to this thread but a big thankyou goes out to yourself for starting it. Very informative and appreciated.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

All this "survival" stuff means to me, is another excuse to go shopping.
One of these days, I need to take these messages seriously.

Hey, I was in girl scouts. I figure that should do it.

I can make a table with found wood and rope, start a fire, and catch a fish.
Maybe.

If I'm approached by murderers, kick them between the legs, and run like the wind.

(Maybe I'm a little overly optimistic with my abilities.)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The Best way to Survive in any situation is to LISTEN Intensely to the Sounds around you . Mentally monitoring the Inviorment around you is the Best Security anyone could have .

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Hey, I was in girl scouts. I figure that should do it. I can make a table with found wood and rope, start a fire, and catch a fish. Maybe.

you learned all that in the girl scouts?

I learned how to suck orange juice from an orange using a peppermint stick, make useless but pretty things with macaroni, glue, and glitter and sell cookies to people that already wanted cookies (so, it wasn't actually selling...I was more like a waitress)

At a certain point I'd begun to think I should have joined the boy scouts :-)

If I'm approached by murderers, kick them between the legs, and run like the wind

My mom told me to hit them with my purse. So much for survival.

As far as survival tips OP - I know you're supposed to stay upwind from bears...or was that downwind?

Anyway - you have to know where the bears are first of all. I know where the bears aren't - that's why I stay in the city.

SHTF and I'm done early - no suspense

:-)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

lol. That's hilarious. Of course, I did all the glitter/orange/peppermint stuff too. Ate the 'smores. BUT my dear, sounds like you didn't get much beyond "Brownies"? I stayed several years beyound that, I think to "intermediate". Yep. We hung out in the woods, (Scout camp) and built bridges out of rope and junk. Very handy. Never know when you're going to need a good rope bridge.

Now, having said that, in the event of SHTF, I'm sure I will be looking for a stream to build a bridge, and having accomplished that, I will sit on it and cry, waiting for someone to come and rescue me. If they never show, then maybe I can turn up a bottle of gin (or two) and write my memoirs.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
to some I think survival comes naturally, almost common sense. I find it to be as easy as breathing, it may take time, but the concept of survival has been washed away by city life for many. I was born and raised in Colorado, the wilderness is my back yard. =)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Sounds like a plan - gin's a good choice :-)

BUT my dear, sounds like you didn't get much beyond "Brownies"?

funny story...well past Brownies, it occurred to me that we might not ever learn to tie a single knot, pitch a tent, shoot any arrows or build a single fire. I was very disappointed. I made the mistake of asking our troop leaders (we had two - kinda sorta) where all our dues and cookie money went - since we never got to go anywhere or do anything. It was an innocent question. I was told I wasn't girl scout material and was asked to leave. So - I left.

I have no survival skills to share because I'm a quitter

(I'm pretty sure all our money went towards scotch and cigarettes - but I couldn't prove it )

:-)

edit on 8/19/2011 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

(I'm pretty sure all our money went towards scotch and cigarettes - but I couldn't prove it )

cigarettes can make for a good timer... used to set up a lit cig to a pack of fire-crackers.... then I'd slip back under cover and wait for someone to come check it out.... Bang... gave me a good seven minutes to get ready...

beside being a pain killer scotch works pretty good as a disinfectant... if you unsure of safety of your drinking water a little scotch mixed in will kill off the bacteria...

they may have gone about it the wrong way... but there are lesions to be learned in everything...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

cigarettes can make for a good timer... used to set up a lit cig to a pack of fire-crackers.... then I'd slip back under cover and wait for someone to come check it out.... Bang... gave me a good seven minutes to get ready...

beside being a pain killer scotch works pretty good as a disinfectant... if you unsure of safety of your drinking water a little scotch mixed in will kill off the bacteria...

lol! see? now - I love that. It's the MacGyvers of this world that are going to survive - that ability to see the usefulness of anything

I don't post in the survival threads - but I like to read through them now and then. I always wanted to learn some of this stuff. I grew up in the sticks - my dad was an outdoors man - you'd think I'd know more. Life is funny like that.

when I was a kid - I read that the Apaches could kill a rabbit with one well aimed stone. That seemed like something I might need to be able to do someday, so I practiced every day. (Not on rabbits of course - I was a normal little girl - kinda)

I was a pretty good shot after a while - my only real survival skill. That and being able to find my way back home. Most of the time.

they may have gone about it the wrong way... but there are lesions to be learned in everything...

isn't that the truth?

I poke gentle fun at my dysfunctional, rural girl scout troop - but now that I'm older and have some perspective I can see - they were just surviving :-)
edit on 8/20/2011 by Spiramirabilis because: survival - survivor is just on TV

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You do know... I write just for people like you... those who want to know want to learn...
it's not hard... common sense, thinking your way through any problem...

I read that the Apaches could kill a rabbit with one well aimed stone.

it is true... but not because we were bad asses... rather we learned to manage our resources... birds and rabbits can be taken with a well aimed rock... we save bullets for more dangerous game...

By the way... we adore dysfunctional, rural girl scouts here... so don't be a stranger, jump right on in... ask your questions or just kick back and listen to a story...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

that's very kind DaddyBare - I'll be sure to visit more often :-)

I'm going to need at least some of these skills in the future - I see myself moving back out someday
edit on 8/20/2011 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Ok this may be some what of a gross repsonce to this thread but it is something you thing about when you have teenage girls in the home!

Start making your own pads for when you are on your cycle. Use old flannel shirts that have been sanitized. They are easy to transport and can be washed and reused.

Now the gross part for some............
Theses pads/rags can be used to bait traps as well. Animals will be drawn to the smell and killed. It's not as out there as you think and it works.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
HI Everybody,

Something that isn't common knowledge but could potentially save a life is that
antibiotics are available by the pound at the feed store. 500 milligrams of
powdered tetracycline fits nicely in the tip of a standard potato peeler.

I've saved thousands on vet and doctor bills over the years by having a
package in my freezer. Last time I purchased it was $14.

A word of advice to folks that think their going to "bug out" to the Cascade foothills.
Availability of game is not great and very little grows during the short, wet summer.
Oh yeah, don't forget there's a lot of people out here already and they tend
to be well armed.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Coghlans makes a neat Fire Paste,looks and handles like a tube of toothpaste...lights easily with a hot spark and burns awhile...to prolong the lifetime of the tube,I take dryer lint and pack it tightly in the paper egg carton wells and cover with a think coat of parrifin or candle wax...let dry and cut into 12 blocks and store(forever) in ziplocs.When needed,put a little dab of firepaste on it and hit it with a spark...burns about 10 minutes and stars wet wood very well...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Some things that we all need to remember, and practice You need to have these down before it hits.

1. Don't Panic! This is probably the one rule that will save you in any situation.

2. Think! Think what is happening and the best response.

3. Breathe! You would be surprised how many people forget to do this.

These 3 rules take practice to remember and use. Example If you get bit by a poisonous snake, you can make the situation worse by panicking, and not thinking. Running in panic will spread the venom faster, and you may manage to kill yourself. If you don't panic, think, and breathe you move away, sit down, and administer proper first aid, get assistance, and live.

Next thing to remember and practice.

KISS Keep It Simple and Stupid! It doesn't need to be complicated. Example bug out bags, how much does yours weigh? Do you really need everything in the bag, or are you carrying family heirlooms instead of the necessities?

As TreadUpon posted on page 1 "Discipline!"

Last on the list Practice, Practice, Practice. Be it getting in the needed mental state, how to bug out, etc.

Many of us here are trained in survival, and these are things they do now without even thinking about them. That is the level we all need to be at to survive.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Use the plastic containers that powdered drinks come in to hold a fishing kit; first aid kit or fire starter kit. The items will stay safe, dry and organized. The containers are light weight and can be used for a variety of uses.

Collect your candle stubs and the cotton lint from the dryer; when you have enough, melt the wax and put it in a metal coffee can (about a 1 pound), put the cotton lint you have saved in the melted wax; make sure there is lint through out the wax, leaving some sticking out the top of the wax to act as a wick. When you light that candle it will provide enough heat to warm a tent.

Don't forget to include one or two rolls of duct tape, it is strong, durable and can be used for mending things and removing insect stingers and splinters that you can't see. I almost forgot, include a tube or two of super glue, it can be used to glue a wound closed.

edit on 21-8-2011 by gallopinghordes because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2011 by gallopinghordes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
here are some good ideas for fire starters..

www.lovetheoutdoors.com...

some really good ideas...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join