It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Troops do NOT Protect Our Freedom and We Should Stop Thanking Them for Doing So

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I don't think a blanket statement is right approach here. I do believe at certain points, that our troops were doing good things, protecting the freedom and rights of either us and various other people. I know that even in this bought out, facade of a war there are instances that our soldiers have done good.

This is not to say that those who direct them don't have less than noble ideals or motives, or even the same could be said of the soldiers themselves at times-where ever you have a large group of people, there will always be the bad apples-I believe that this happens too, and it has happened...obviously.

My main beef is that people are too narrow-minded, it seems, in looking at this issue. Not everyone is 'herpty-derp-soldier-worship-herp-herp' in this country...and not everyone is the opposing side either.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundowner

I have no idea how to reply to the OP , as if he would have said this to my face i would uterly do my best to hurt him in the worse imaginable way.

If you dont like what the government is standing for then change it. However , till then , the way you let the government be ran , yes YOU , you the people let it be ran. Then i will defend it.

If you dont like it , change it.

Dont you blame it on the soldiers , its not UP TO US to change the government. Its up to YOU the people.

#in ass hole.

Let me post this again as aparantly you guys dont get the statement.

if you want the troops to fight for something different. Then YOU CHANGE IT. We dont change it , we do the fighting. If you want us to fight for something different then get up and do something about it instead of sitting behind a computer.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

This post reminds me of a YouTube video by Libertychick (who is hawt!)

Why I Do Not Support the Troops

Being a former sailor for the USN I used to think like everyone else, support the troops, freedom, blah blah blah. I joined the USN Jan 2001 and was finished with my A school training September 7, 2001. Before I went off to my first duty station I took leave for week and headed home to New York. I remember thinking that I was only gonna do 4 years, get the GI Bill and be on my way, whats the worst that could happen? Well the rest is history. I went to my first duty station with the intent of finding terrorists and bringing justice to the USofA. The entire world was shook up about 9/11 and America was supporting the troops, thanks to ugly colored ribbons they put on their cars/SUVs & weather worn American flags everywhere, like never before.

But as the years wore on and America is still fighting these non sense "wars" and engaging in news one, its become really hard to say you support the troops. It should be clear America went into Iraq under LIES. I remember being on watch that March when we declared war, the entire watch team was like 'huh'? So we're still in Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Libya, not too mention the other things the USA is involved with. Last week the Daily Show paid homage to the troops and Jon Stewart even read some letters he brought back from a USO tour. I was actually feeling sick when he read letters from the troops because they still believe they are promoting freedoms, democracy, and how hard they are fighting to do it. If only the troops knew they were wasting their time and lives.

It's a shame the troops can't not follow orders. They've been programmed to follow orders from bootcamp and there are major penalties if they don't. Even if they don't agree with the orders (I didn't agree with Iraq at all) these orders come from the top, so they assume they are doing the right thing even if it feels wrong. How could Uncle Sam do them wrong they think.

At this point I do not support the troops, but I don't have any ill will or feelings towards them, for they know not what they do (for the most part). I definitely do NOT support the American Gov't that sends these souls to their death. The troops need to fight the real enemy, the USA Gov't

edit on 9-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
Semper fi, right? Always faithful to what/who? The constitution? The nation?

The Marine Corp, and our fellow Marines.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

You are very brave and very right,i hear of seal team six in helicopter some implying they
are Christs warriors,we have all betrayed the creator not just the soldiers.We are one and
all to blame.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Thank you for sharing you experience!

It appears to me that what has soured people is "these" wars in particular. I have only half-read it, but I was working through a book called "Horse Soldiers" and the very start of the war...and how silly the tribal people who we were to fight against in Afghanistan thought our first reactionary responses were...anyhow, point being we did a LOT of stupid stuff at the start, and are still doing it. I am no longer sure exactly what this crap is about, but I still believe that there are good, honest soldiers out there who have done good, honest things. (No, I'm not blind or whatever, I realize there are bad people/soldiers/commanders/etc out there, but that's not what i'm getting at here.)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

They are merely protecting big bank, our true government, and their foreign interest's (money), and by the way...Henry Kissinger should be behind bars

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Reminds me of what that one fellow in the movie Black Hawk Down says...something along the lines of the guy next to is who you fight for once the proverbial fecal matter starts flying.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

This is a B.S. article.

I hear ya my brother.
I've enjoyed watching everybody [Who probably never served] do their usual back flips and repeat all the rhetoric and liberal BS garbage they've seen on youtube ect feeling superior, enlightened and basically full of themselves and their points of view while hypocritically feeling free to post their opinions about people and situations they have no flippen clue about.

This thread is whacked.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SemperGumby

You can very easily tell 99% of the people on this thread hasnt ever seen combat. Hell , i never understood the seperation between civilian and military man until i saw combat , then i understood that they dont understand #. Makes you mad.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The military assassinates innocent human beings, mostly civilians.
I've never seen the honor in that. I have compassion for our soldiers because of the brainwashing environment they grew up in. Television, movies, toys, video games and MEMES all have helped to glamorize the military industrial complex. We ended up with a generation who wanted to get guns and 'kill the bad guy'. They were brainwashed since they were little babies. Society thinks it's heroic and there's pressure to make these killers into heroes.

It's a complicated situation. I don't like the structure of society on this one. Fortunately, some of our troops are waking up-horrified at what they've done. And so starts their spiritual journey out of the maelstrom.
I'd never turn my back on a fellow human because of what they've done. Yet, I'm not interested in talking to them before they wake up. I've heard enough bragging about the joy of killing in Vietnam to last a few lifetimes. I'm not impressed.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yea I saw the article on too on another website. Thought about linking and commenting as I've been saying this myself in recent posts. F&S you saved me the trouble.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Again , you havnt seen combat. At all.

Its not that you enjoy you it. Its that you get to point where you dont give a # and youll kill any one any time any how (That your ordered too).

You get use to it , and then it becomes a game again if you have experienced combat , you would know the mind frame. Which you dont , because you havnt had the prick on the other side of that hill peltering your rock your behind slowly chipping it away going o # im about to catch one.

Your own life becomes the game , and you get a thrill for it because you know its going to happen , it gets to a point you wonder what you can get away with. Again .... i didnt understand the ... you wouldnt understand part until i experienced combat.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I can't believe the majority of you think soldiers are nothing more than pawns. I for one served 4 years in the infantry. I didn't do it for my country...although I do love my country. I don't agree with everything it has done. In fact it has pissed me off at times.

There are many soldiers that are brain washed and would do just about anything you said, but there are some that aren't. It is the same with cops....I hear people say...they are "all" bad...or abuse power.

The best part about being a soldier...is the job training and the tight knit group you develop. To this day any soldier I served with is welcome in my home no questions asked for as long as they need. I fought to protect them and myself. The beauty is I volunteered for it. I asked for it, and the military was the greatest time in my life.

Im not sure what you think soldiers are doing so wrong over there. Civilians die in war....tough #. It sucks but its war. Our country does more than any other country I know of to prevent civilian deaths during war.

I feel like this site gets deeper and deeper into thinking everyone that represents any authority knows something they don't. I have friends in about every branch of the military and government you can think of from MICECP, Navy SEALs, FBI, DIA, you name it...and you know what....we are all concerned about decisions our leaders make just as much as you...from current wars to 9/11.

But man...go to some of these countries first and get to see what is happening before you just all hop on the bandwagon of all military is sheep.

When I was in the Middle East I had been approached multiple times from people saying thanks for what we had done....this was pre-Afghanistan and Iraq.

The critical thinking skills and discipline I learned in the military is severely lacking in the civilian world and has giving me a huge edge in the work force.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Maybe, just maybe they'll pull their heads out of their backsides long enough to take the time to look it up and find out that the Marine Corp is actually older than the US Government.

edit on 9-8-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Good point.

If they really wanted to protect my Freedom they would stop the governments, corporations, and other organizations from usurping all of them carte blanche.

So, when are they going to defend me and my fellow countrymen?

Soon, I hope.

No Coups though please. Unless you can have new fresh elections within 1 week without imposing martial law. Than I may consider supporting the Coup, under that stringent condition.

Also, the spy agencies need to dig up everything on all of the globalist tycoons pulling the strings and bring formal charges against them, have them all arrested, and then we can begin their due process to a fair trial.

That is what I call "protecting my freedom".

So where is it???

What he said.

I'm glad that American members are waking up to unforgivable ignorance and lack of moral of their military men and all their "just following orders" bull crap.

The rest of the world is with you in sorting out your foreign policy and putting leashes on your conscienceless, brain-washed, uneducated and cowardly military men and women.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
If we had no army and we were invaded tomorrow, we would have no defense. I thank them for being our last resort and believe me, we will be thankful soon enough.

I agree that a lot of the troops joined the army because they had nothing better to do for a living, could have been worse, they could be robbing your house.

We could always get rid of the army and see what happens to us then?

link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Agreed milkyway...if you haven't been there its hard to comment...id imagine its the same with everything...if you have never been a waiter or waitress its probably hard to understand tipping someone...cause I don't...but Im sure a waiter or waitress would give me an ear full why I should haha.....

It is the same in the Police world.....I didn't even realize crime existed around me until I became a cop....Ive handled so many rapes and molested kids and dead bodies that I literally feel nothing to it anymore. Maybe 1 in about 10 cases will get to me somehow and make me human again. Until youve been there...its hard for me to take someone's opinion on it seriously...and by there i dont mean combat...maybe even as an investigator of civil rights abuse or soemthing...but atleast be part of it before someone starts commenting with the bravery of being out of range.

link   
Blame the administration, don't blame the troops.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Good point.

If they really wanted to protect my Freedom they would stop the governments, corporations, and other organizations from usurping all of them carte blanche.

So, when are they going to defend me and my fellow countrymen?

Soon, I hope.

No Coups though please. Unless you can have new fresh elections within 1 week without imposing martial law. Than I may consider supporting the Coup, under that stringent condition.

Also, the spy agencies need to dig up everything on all of the globalist tycoons pulling the strings and bring formal charges against them, have them all arrested, and then we can begin their due process to a fair trial.

That is what I call "protecting my freedom".

So where is it???

What he said.

I'm glad that American members are waking up to unforgivable ignorance and lack of moral of their military men and all their "just following orders" bull crap.

The rest of the world is with you in sorting out your foreign policy and putting leashes on your conscienceless, brain-washed, uneducated and cowardly military men and women.

how are they cowards when they are the ones fighting? if someone invades the US or your country who would protect you?

I think what is getting people upset is they dont agree with the Iraq war...I don't either...but soldiers are still good folk....there will be a time again when there will be another war that is more comprehensable to civilians.
edit on 9-8-2011 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join