It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Troops do NOT Protect Our Freedom and We Should Stop Thanking Them for Doing So

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

Who are you to judge what issues are relevant? Just curious because you don't seem to have a grasp of reality or what it means to live in today's world. I guess throwing around big words to try and impress your liberal friends gives you a feeling of superiority, which I understand as it's the only thing you have going for you. Instead of expanding your vocabulary, try expanding your history of the world.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I only agree to the titles thread. I do not agree to everything else anyone else has posted.

I agree to the title because it's the truth.

In a showing statistic, 70% of all the troops, including the Air Force, Army, Army Reserves, Navy, and Marines.

Those 70% feel they are fighting for oil. Which is why they feel the war's TPTB initiate are unjust, and straight out un needed.

The only reason we are in war with anyone in the middle east is because we provided billions of dollars in terms of recruiting those country's militias.

Did everyone forget the Taliban was put into place by the USA? We paid those groups to fight for us, now they are fighting verses us.

Simple as that.

Now we have to worry about the militant groups we have paid to fight for us in areas like Syria, Tripoli... Pretty much the whole entire middle east, from Africa down.

This is commen sense people.... You don't need a political background to see this!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I made the decision to join the military when I was seventeen, went in when I was eighteen. I believed one hundred percent that I was doing something worthwhile and something good for my country. One needs to be in a soldier's shoes before they can say, "Our Troops do NOT Protect Our Freedom and We Should Stop Thanking Them for Doing So." Try 'em on for size....

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
To all who are here slobbering over each other in agreement with the author of this post....

There are evil men and women in this world that will only respond to force....period.

The premise of the OP and the very title of this thread is that our troops do not protect our freedom. Many are acknowledging that the current purpose of our military is to topple leaders and governments we don't support. A lot of people are angered that some of us are agreeing with the OP but are failing to acknowledge that the OP is very specific in its meaning. It isn't a blanket attempt to condemn the military all together. It is an attempt to pointedly disagree with a concept about the purpose of our military.

I could go on and on with examples in history where our military was pivotal in the protections of freedoms, but so many here already know these examples.

This has been acknowledged but what many are concerned with is the current state of our military.

This is how I see it. The military is in existence because it is meant to protect our homeland and us from tyranny. Now, it is nothing more than a tool used as a means to an end and that is a complete subjugation of all economies to the global banking elite. The ones who do not conform to this system are invaded. We pick and chose which countries to "free" and which people to "save". We only do so if it serves us well. We care less about other countries who are in similar situations but have nothing to offer us in return. Our military serves the government and the elite, not the American people.

In my opinion this does not mitigate the men and women in the military. They honestly believe they are serving a grand purpose and risking themselves for the safety of American citizens. That is noble and shows great character. However, I don't have to agree with that. My belief is that they are goaded into believing the same grandiose claims by our government that civilians are. Some of them wake up to this fact after it is too late but they can't do anything about it. The military is structured specifically so that questions are not asked and orders are followed NO MATTER WHAT. Of course, this is what makes our military effective, but is a catch-22.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by Vitchilo

Your a fool.

This is why there is such resentment in the military , because folks like you.

Thats why we look down on Civilians because we some how let the few people like yourself , relate to all of the American people.

I wish a Mod would simply close this thread because if you havnt been in a firefight , you dont know what the hell your talking about on this subject.

Blame yourselfs , ITS UP TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE to the change the Government the troops take orders. IF YOU WANT IT CHANGED YOU CHANGE IT.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

we can't change it, the government dose as they please and take my rights away little by little everyday. i can't fight back because the government has a massive military and police force (paid for by money stolen from me) and i can't even own a gun in my state to defend myself. home of the free my ass.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

I have known a couple of local cops since we were kids together and one of the main reasons they can't wait to retire is because the guys coming in now all seem to have an authority complex about the job. They can't wait to throw their weight around. Your experience might be 20%. I see it being much higher. Even at 20%, 20% is 20% too high.

With the technology we have today there is no need to have military bases all around the world. That is an old mentality. When they can control cruise missiles in Afghanistan from Florida, there is no need to put Americans in harms way.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

There is no honor in volunteering to go anywhere in the world and kill anybody you are told to, without question,
reply to post by wcitizen

But there is honor in voluteering to support and defend the Constiution of the United States, which is what I and many others have done. You read this poorlly written article and immediately jumped to flame me like a true troll.

The problem is NOT the men and women who volunteer to defend this Idea, but is with the politicians who have usurped the authority ( not power) that We The People have granted them.

edit on 10/8/11 by masqua because: Edited personal attack

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

Who are you to judge what issues are relevant?

I'm a member of the online ATS community merely referencing the terms and conditions pertinent to staying on-topic. Furthermore, an objective discussion is a non-emotional discussion and far more conducive to the mutual learning of all ATS members. I really don't understand the problem you appear to be having with this.

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

Just curious because you don't seem to have a grasp of reality or what it means to live in today's world. I guess throwing around big words to try and impress your liberal friends gives you a feeling of superiority, which I understand as it's the only thing you have going for you. Instead of expanding your vocabulary, try expanding your history of the world.

Well, that's the first my cumulative lexicon has ever offended someone. Little did I think it was possible. What "big words" are the source of your discontent?

Why are you presupposing that I'm a liberal? Are you also of the presupposition that I'm American by any chance?

link   

link   
reply to post by milkyway12

The lamest of all arguments on this thread?......."if you haven't been in a firefight then you don't know what your talking about." Basic psychology...find something you've done that someone else hasn't and claim all-kmowingness. Childish. Though it takes a child mind to be brainwashed to kill women and children because the even more brainwashed guy with the even shorter haircut and two more strips sewn on his shirt told you to. I have spoken to many in the armed forces and honestly I am shocked at how little they know about the world in which they live and kill in. I hope if the soldiers of the world ever learn the real truth, that they will use their "skills" on the real terrorists...their order-givers.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I dont even know where to start on this or even if i want to comment. I am proud of my service and i am proud of what i have done in the service. I have killed people. Me and my guys have klled many people. I was sent to Iraq to bring calm and peace to a nation that EVEN before Bush and his whole WMD fiasco was a place where murder was Rampant and horible things were done to many people under the guise of ISLAM. Yes I have killed people those same people that cut the noses and clitorises off their women. The same people that IF YOU POSTED WHAT YOU POSTED IN THIS POST A GROUP OF MEN WOULD SHOW UP AND CUT OFF YOUR BALLS. Im sure that you are not afraid this very moment fo some goverment men coming and cuting your bals off and raping your daughters because of what you said. The country that I helped LIBERATE was a country that if you did not have a picture of the leader in your home you were thrown in jail. DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF OBAMA IN YOUR HOUSE if not dont worry because you are not force to. I liberated a country and brought democracy to savages. Yes I killed many people and I enjoyed it because i knew the type of people that i was killing. plus THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL ME. America the beautiful where you can sit at home and talk # about the goverment and not worry about retaliation. You have the nerve to speak so lowly about young men that raise their hands and go where they are told. We are not murderers we are cdalculated highly skilled and compasionate killers. At that moment when we do kill it is a concious decision that weighs heavily on our us for the rest of our lives.
Be thankfull because you would be speaking german or arabic or russian or some other freakin language besides english Oh wait You have the right to speak any feaking language that you want. How dare you! Do me a favor get the hell out of america. Renounce your citizenship and go live somewhere else. You dont know how good you have it and you definatley dont apreciate it. Im proud of my country . Im proud of what I have done Im proud of those that stand next to me not as robots that are programmed but as free men who have made a choice and could see far enough in the future to keep this country as strong as it is. Makes me wish that the philosophy from starship troopers were in effect. Veterans ar citizens the rest of you are just civilians. GOD BLESS AMERICA and GOD BLESS ALL OF OUR MILITARY.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

But isn't there an inherent problem with the reasoning that the military, who is supposed to protect us, is just obeying orders from politicians who are taking away our freedoms?

It seems entirely illogical to say the military IS protecting our freedoms but they are are also beholden to the very people taking them, so therefore (in reference to another member's post) it is OUR fault that the military isn't protecting our freedoms because we put the people in power who are taking them away.

I mean, JUST AS THE ARTICLE STATES, if the military is mean to protect our freedom why are they not protecting us from the very people who are taking them away?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

This article is written by an American about US troops.but Imo it applies to troops in pretty much all Western countries at the very least.

Like the author, I'm sure I will be flamed for posting this, but I feel I have to.

tvnewslies.org... for-doing-so.html

Let's make one thing crystal clear, no member of the US military contributes in any way whatsoever to protecting the freedoms of the American people. As a matter of fact, they are more likely to turn their weapons on you than they are to defend your Constitutional rights.

The only people on this planet Earth who can affect your freedom are members of Congress, local legislators and the members of enforcement institutions who will blindly follow the rulers who sign their paychecks. And, while your beloved troops are murdering people around the globe, yes, I said murdering, your Congress and local legislators are eliminating your freedoms, en masse, without any intervention by our so-called protectors in the armed forces.

There is no honor in volunteering to go anywhere in the world and kill anybody you are told to, without question, without historical background and without verifying the stated reasons for doing so. In this modern age of information we now know that time and time again our military have been deployed into battle, to kill and be killed, for reasons that in no way shape or form resemble the reasons for which they, or we were told at the time. This is no secret, although many Americans refuse to take off the flag that is wrapped around their eyes and see American history as it really happened. They blindly believe what was told to them by the people who have a vested interest in maintaining myths and misconceptions.

The US military, not once but twice, committed the single largest mass murders in history by dropping nuclear weapons on civilian populations, including of course, on women and children. Say what you want about how it helped end the war....the bottom line is the US could have exploded these devices over uninhabited territory with the same effect of scaring the heck out of the Japanese. But they followed orders that were lies and murdered almost 300,000 people, without question. As a human being I find it hard to honor such “patriotism.”

I realise this will upset many, but if we are to have any chance of being successful in overcoming the criminals in charge and their criminal systems, there are some paradigmatic shifts which must take place .... even if that involves the debunking of a sacred cow.

It's my impression that In the US the military tends to be revered more so than in Europe. I believe this has been encouraged and inculcated by the MSM, politicians and Hollywood, and is all part of the sham they have presented to the public as real.

My intent in posting this is not to offend, but to defend what is true.

edit on 9-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

I can't say I disagree with your reasoning. But I there is no context in how you think soldiers should be perceiving the world. It is very simplistic. You assume that soldiers have a world view that shows how the elite have used them and the military as pawns in a game to obtain power, control and wealth. You assume that soldiers would realize that the people they are fighting are fellow human beings with their own perceptions of the US and the US military as the aggressors

For you, invading Iraq may have been clearly unwarranted and unprovoked by the Iraqi people. I agree with that assessment, but if you look at the media blitz that led up to the war, Saddam Hussein was with Al Queda and directly responsible for the attacks on 9/11. That was a lie!!
You take impressionable young minds filled with emotion that their country was attacked for no reason. It is very reasonable for these same young minds to feel that they are protecting their country and its citizens by going to war in Iraq.

There is also a view that many people in this country and probably other countries as well have, that their government are the "good guys". They would not ask you to invade a foreign country unless there was good cause, even if they don't give you the cause itself. Some people really believe that a government should keep things secret from their own people and are OK with that.

I am not one of those people, but I have met many of them and they are very sincere in their beliefs. I just hope that there is a greater awakening to the real villains and perpetrators of evil in this world. They sit at the heads of boardrooms in the largest global corporations and in the highest positions of power in the governments.

My suggestion to the OP is to get off his high horse and try to help as many people as he can to understand the truth. If he keeps up with this "you soldiers are terrible and idiots for not seeing the truth" blah blah blah. All he does is alienate the people that would really benefit by an awakening. You don't wake people up by first calling them murderers and idiots. You have to try and understand them and reach them at a level that they can relate to. But chances are the OP will probably never be able to do that because he feels he is sooo right and KNOWS the truth. Oh well, things will play out as they will. Lets do our best, that is all we can do.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by alpinestar
Soldiers are the brainwashed nuts and bolts of a huge killing machine being driven by old rich white guys.

...you can say the same of people who work for monsanto, boeing, ford, pharmacuetical companies, the sugar cartels, haliburton, the fast food industry - its a REALLY BIG list...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Blame the administration, don't blame the troops.

Saying someone told them to do it does not hold much water..

I would blame both...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
I see your point.

However, I believe you have to distinguish to man from his government.

These very brave men do what they are told.

This is an extremely slippery slope.
edit on 9-8-2011 by whyamIhere because: spelling

Not doing what ur told because of moral issues is brave.

Doing what ur told without second thought "because it's an order" is brainwashed stupidity.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Yeah im unwilling to exert energy , because until you stand up and change the people giving the orders then you must approve of it. So we follow them. If you dont like it , do something about it , not my job.

I agree with the op in many ways.

But you point is extremely valid.

We (the masses) allow our politicians to use our military for the corporate agenda.

Our tax money pays for the weapons.

We are just as responsible as those that join the military.

They really are just trying to do the right thing (most of them).

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

Let's make one thing crystal clear, no member of the US military contributes in any way whatsoever to protecting the freedoms of the American people. As a matter of fact, they are more likely to turn their weapons on you than they are to defend your Constitutional rights.

It's my impression that In the US the military tends to be revered more so than in Europe, I believe this has been encouraged and inculcated by the MSM, politicians and Hollywood, and is all part of the sham they have presented to the public as real.

I don't know how to respond. After I read your opening statement, I noticed how quickly a mess of people agreed. I just don't know...

I disagree with everything you have said.

Today a part of me died.

I'm just going to fall silent.

edit on 8/9/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Flag for this post it takes balls to actually use your FREEDOM OF SPEECH to post something like this. To all of you that agree I salute you really FLEX those freedoms.....

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join