It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Troops do NOT Protect Our Freedom and We Should Stop Thanking Them for Doing So

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jexmo
I find this thread quite interesting because isn't the U.S a country that was basically created by soldiers and war? You owe yours and your childrens existence to troops.

And it was the British that invaded America. Just as self-defense is necessary, military used to defend a country is less aggressive than invading a foreign country. Preventative war only makes sense if you attack a country because they may be planning on attacking you. But occupying a country for 10 years is hardly preventing any impending attack and is just an excuse to be a Hitler-esq war monger.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Another American bashing thread?

Do you guys ever quit?

Sitting in front of the computer spewing ignorance

I have many family and friends that either served or is currently serving...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm not disagreeing with some of this, but I still feel a military force is necessary thing to have as a nation. A quick look back at WWII will easily show why it's in our best interests to have a military readily available. To say they are "protecting our freedom" is a stretch right now as the only ones imposing on our rights are currently all politically related, but if some other country was to start bombing us or attacking us in any way who would be there to fight back if we did not have a military? Unless everyone here is a pacifist? Just show some respect to the armed forces because they are doing a service to every citizen.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

You said this thread sickens you. I had the same problem with taco bell...so I stopped going. Guess what? No more diarrhea.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Boy am i glad you arnt in strategic operations.

If we werent over their getting blown up , they would be over here blowing you up.

We are over there as a meat shield , they get to kill the guys that volunteered instead of the ones that didnt ...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Great Post! If we want to end wars, we have to admit to the fact that our military is used for other reasons, least of which are to protect our freedoms.

My daughter's friend who served over in Iraq came back and made this statement to his friends. It sucks that you fight and kill the enemies and when you go over to check them out they have weapons made in the U.S.

Two sides of the same coin. It must end. The money-making game of war!

Everyone must understand that "Words" are used as weapons and everytime one of our leaders says to protect Democracy, Freedom and Patriotism, they are using these words for their own plans. Really...wake up people. If you were in the military, I respect your bravery, but look deep inside yourself and decide in truth if what you did or were doing was the most right and human thing to do. Get past the mindless drone brainwashing that was done and look inside.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

And what if an another army invades your home country...who should protect you?

2nd...same as the first
What about my statement warrants a question like this?
I seem to be missing your point

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

And I won't deny that. Your country was bron from a British invasion and that was wrong. There was going to be no invasion from the native Americans. We saw an opportunity and we took it, as horrible as the reality is.

This however, doesn't change the fact that there would be no United States of America had troops not invaded. Furthermore, there would not be an America as you know it now had you not had the defensive capabilities you have. Even though they have barely been used, a country thinking of invading would most definitely think twice given the size of your army.

I am most definitely not, 'bashing Americans'. Merely trying to find out why some people are ungrateful for the life they have, because in all honesty, you wouldn't be a country without an army.

link   
I would LOVE to find this person...

link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

In fact we are all sheep unless you are 100% self sufficient and some how do not pay taxes. If you are AMEN and I probably love you.

Fact is we are all guilty of these stupid wars. You do not agree with the wars? You still pay taxes? Well, your pocket book says you agree with the wars. Gotta take your gov down if you do not want these stupid wars going on. Even then you would still want a military and military development in case people invade us (unless you are stupid). Maybe if there was a world wide no military movement and people actually did not condone violence anymore YAY, but that will never happen.

Screwed either way!

I still think the last justified war was WW2, the others since then not so much. I do not really blame the soldiers too much more so our politicians-bigcompany-military complex. You have basically the 1% top of the world barking orders that other 99% follow. Does that mean I'm gonna put "I love our troops stickers" on everything I own? No f'in way. Would I rather hangout with a soldier or a politician? A soldier.
edit on 9-8-2011 by ElectricWizard because: oopps

link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Your a fool.

If you're going to call another ATS member a fool, at the very least learn how to spell a three word sentence.

This is why there is such resentment in the military , because folks like you.

Thats why we look down on Civilians...

So, you look down on "civilians"? That'll make it easier to make targets out of them when the dissent really kicks off, right?

I wish a Mod would simply close this thread because if you haven't been in a firefight , you don't know what the hell your talking about on this subject.

Bla, bla, bla. Big god-damn hero. I hear the John Rambo theme playing in the distant background. No one cares. The only reason you want this thread closed is because the consensus of truth is unsettling for you. Accept it.

Blame yourselfs , ITS UP TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE to the change the Government the troops take orders. IF YOU WANT IT CHANGED YOU CHANGE IT.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Let's get this straight - you're unwilling to exert energy on faulting those you blindly follow instructions from but you've taken the time to verbally attack civilians online. You've even physically threatened another ATS member.

It's time to look in the mirror, buddy. Ask yourself what side of history are you on. You're beginning to sound like a NWO goon based on your contempt for the general civilian.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
There is sadly no longer any honor in serving. I am not sure there has really been any in quite a while.

I know some Vietnam vets that wear their patches proudly, especially the bikers. But, it is a "club" thing.
One friend of mine, Marine vet, (not ex-Marine, no such thing), explained to me that his loyalty was to his Marine buddies, and to a lesser extent, other vets. But, he would help ANYONE if he could. I think the character of most of these guys is very high.
He makes no attempt to defend the wars. It is a practical matter, the government may send them off to war, but the American people are not exactly protesting it are they?
So, it follows that he was just doing a job, and he thought the people were essentially behind him.
It is also true that a lot of the older guys are not ashamed a bit in what they did, even if the truth were commonly known. Like the blatant murders in Vietnam that were actually pretty widespread. They would just shrug and say, "war is hell".

But, the times are changing. I think the message the OP has delivered is very real. It is time that parents educate their children, don't let them grow up to be corporate soldiers. But everyone should be a SOLDIER nonetheless, PREPARED to protect the home turf. We should all have a "musket", and know how to use it. We have gotten off track, and blaming the soldier is perhaps counter productive. Let's get them on our side, they are not "dumb animals". Kissinger is the dumb animal.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

Perhaps that is why we have this current failing "system". You made a good point.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Boy am i glad you arnt in strategic operations.

If we werent over their getting blown up , they would be over here blowing you up.

We are over there as a meat shield , they get to kill the guys that volunteered instead of the ones that didnt ...

So in other words in order to protect my neighborhood in America I should patrol the streets of Hong Kong? Sounds great
After all, every thug and criminal I don't arrest in China may one day sneak over the border to rob a bank in America, according to your logic. Sorry but the Taliban aren't going to just follow the bread crumbs home just because we pull out. The only reason there is a war is because we are OCCUPYING their nations. Get it? OCCUPATION. If we left, they would be all too happy. However, the globalists would then stage a false flag in America and people would once again rechoice at the chance of being blown up in a foreign nation because the media would lie and say it had something to do with not bombing innocent civilians in Afghanistan.
edit on 9-8-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Fortunately, I never saw combat during my 12 years of service, although our unit was on alert during Desert Storm. Regardless of what anyone thinks of me or any other member of the armed forces or veterans, I can tell you that I am proud of my service even with it's few scars. I was always sort of an outlaw. That being said, the blame for all this garbage does not rest on the backs of the soldiers themselves. The brutality they witness every day takes it's toll on them psychologically. In agreement with other veteran posters, I too would have trusted any of the men I served with, with my life (but not my wife). Today, I would welcome any of them into my home as well, and in fact on one occasion have done that for about six months. Everyone I was exposed to had the most honorable intentions, even the wilder ones. The one's who had been in the Viet Nam war were scarred psychologically even then, and some had military profile's (medical allowances/exceptions) that allowed them to carry concealed weapons at all times due to these scars. Watching these wars from the safety of our homes, I feel that none of us are qualified (myself included) to judge these guys and gals currently serving in the real world of daily death and dismemberment. I do feel however, that corporations are mostly to blame for all of this, and the politicians they bribe. Our soldiers are as faithful as their minds will allow, and I support them and their families 100 percent...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Thank you sooooo much for posting this and telling it like it is the general public have a belief that our troops are heros! LOL Wow We must think we live on a stage or something, Cause all this is, is one big magic show!
Flag and star! AAA+

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

And what if an another army invades your home country...who should protect you?

2nd...same as the first
What about my statement warrants a question like this?
I seem to be missing your point

sorry drummer...i think i clicked the wrong reply to mate haha...this wasn't met for you! ive been typing too much in this thread too quickly...
edit on 9-8-2011 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I will begin by saying all overseas American military bases should be closed down and ALL personnel brought home to actually protect our country at the borders, airports, and sea ports. THEN I could say they are actually protecting me. I don't live in Afghanistan, Iraq, or Libya.

When I was a teenager there was the draft for Vietnam to worry about. To this day I don't know why ANYONE in their right mind would voluntarily join the military with the threat of being shipped overseas to die in some foreign desert for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. It makes me sick when I see the parents and loved ones of a soldier, who are left behind, crying and trying to convince themselves that the death was so noble and worth it. They are all just trying to rationalize it so they can accept the absurdity of it. I am absolutely 100% sure they would rather have their loved one back with them.

Sometimes I think the government purposely wants a high unemployment rate so that many people feel their only chance for a job is joining the military.

Unfortunately I think most people not only in the military, but in any career area like local police, the FBI, the TSA, rent-a-cop security officers, do it for the rush of the instant authority it brings them. Instead of "serving" the taxpayers like their job is supposed to be, they get off on ordering people around and having people fear them when they pull up on their tail in a police car. They feel a need to feel superior to others.

They are brainwashed into "following the book" and are easily manipulated by their superiors.

I think they would fire on fellow Americans in a minute.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Sounds like an opinion based on a vested interest. What would they say if you joined the bandwagon to get our troops home. You have influence brother. But I can tell you THAT would take some courage.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join