It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First tax-free holiday in Arkansas a boon for business

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

First tax-free holiday in Arkansas a boon for business

www.reuters.com

Arkansans shopped until they dropped on Saturday, braving temperatures deep into the triple-digits to take advantage of the state's first sales tax holiday weekend.

"I have never seen anything like this," said Clancy Graham, a manager at Little Rock's RK Collections Boutique, an independently owned store. "If we could do this three times a year, it would be amazing. It has done crazy good stuff for our business."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This is an AMAZING idea. Although the savings are not that much, the businesses are ecstatic about this.

This brought people out of their homes for a reason. Show them the savings and they will come!

I know every state can't afford this... But those that can, should!!

I know of a few purchases I would make, if I knew that it would be free of sales tax.
It is imagination like this, that makes our country different. It is freedom that fuels this imagination...

Could you imagine a department head going to Putin with this idea?? Can you say "missing"?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Nope, just fictitious. This can't happen, it's a hoax.
it is not possible for the American people to enjoy a tax free day. They want more and higher taxes, because Obama and every Liberal says it is what's best for us.

Think about all the poor starving kids that will die in the streets because of this??
And Grandma will be forced to eat mold off of old bread, because now she can't afford the Penicillin.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just goes to show that taxes really are not wanted, nor higher taxed needed.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
that would be awesome.... oh wait we dont have sales tax in oregon.... maybe they could just get rid of property tax for a couple months. or even just a day, i bet home sales would go up like crazy

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What.. No sales tax actually increased business?

No, there must be some mistake. You sure it wasn't increased taxes? Yea that's probably it. I'll just go tell all my friends/family that increased taxes increase sales, they should believe me.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This is great
I don't think people have a problem paying taxes as long as it goes to the right things.
They tax us and the $ goes to everybody/thing else except to the people that paid it.
This is the problem with taxes
Taxes should be like tipping.....in europe(5%)
that should be enough until they can prove to the people they can handle it responsibly.

edit on 9-8-2011 by A por uvas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by A por uvas
This is great
I don't think people have a problem paying taxes as long as it goes to the right things.
They tax us and the $ goes to everybody/thing else except to the people that paid it.
This is the problem with taxes.

Wouldnt the simple solution to that problem be not forcing the people to pay in the first place?

Like taxation is just a laundering scheme for all of us crooks and smugglers to wash our earnings?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The problem is not taxation, per se, that upsets most Americans, and it is what they tax. Taxes used to be limited to such things as income, corporations, trade, and the like; it generally did not extend down into the many places that the Middle/Lower classes feel. But as they slash taxes on income, corporations, and trade they obviously were not going to slash the spending. So they decided it would be necessary to ignore the debt problem and begin to tax things that the majority of people use.

We watched sales, property, and countless other taxes rise. That is what makes people hostile towards taxation altogether. If taxes on property were greatly reduced, the sales tax limited to special items, etc… and raise taxes on corporations/rich then people would not be so angry with taxation.

Make major corporations actually pay their taxes *cough*GE*cough* and remove sales tax on consumer goods and watch people begin to spend more while revenue goes up, naturally.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hayou89

Thats correct, there is no sales tax here and there doesnt seem to be a boon for businesses here in portland. So the whole idea of no taxes being good really doesnt help all that much.
Some times there will be people from other countries or states that come here to buy stuff and then send it out but that really doesnt improve the economy because it doesnt happen enough.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gorgi
reply to post by hayou89

Thats correct, there is no sales tax here and there doesnt seem to be a boon for businesses here in portland. So the whole idea of no taxes being good really doesnt help all that much.
Some times there will be people from other countries or states that come here to buy stuff and then send it out but that really doesnt improve the economy because it doesnt happen enough.

Ah, but when the oppression of taxes is removed, people will celebrate as such.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Taxes arent oppression. paying taxes is a patriotic thing to do. And besides, here we have budget problems because of the lack of sales tax and still have a high income tax.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

Taxes arent oppression. paying taxes is a patriotic thing to do. And besides, here we have budget problems because of the lack of sales tax and still have a high income tax.

Wow, does Biden have his hand up your butt, like a puppet??

Taxes are patriot my anus.

No, we have problems because of spending, not taxes.

edit on 9-8-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
They do it my State every year. Heres the problem

Wife went to wal-mart checked out some prices Thursday. A shirt was $10.98, That Saturday when the tax free holiday was happening, same shirt was $12.98.

Thats why the buisness's are crazy about the idea, you see now.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

reply to post by macman

Yup, biden loves me.
We have issues because of lack of taxes in the right areas. Not just because of spending. Certain taxes to need to be raised.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

Yup, biden loves me.
We have issues because of lack of taxes in the right areas. Not just because of spending. Certain taxes to need to be raised.

I think you mean loving you, not loves you.

Here we go again Gordi, another post about how taxes need to be raised, more spending by an out of control Federal Govt and how ma and pa need to give up more money to fund pet projects of the Political Elite who are always generous with American's Dollars.

Nope, don't buy. Maybe try selling it on the side of the road in say??? Russia..
The Govt has a spending problem. Never seen them pass up a project, new doohicky for some Congressman, Transportation project for a Senator or anything else for that matter.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc
They do it my State every year. Heres the problem

Wife went to wal-mart checked out some prices Thursday. A shirt was $10.98, That Saturday when the tax free holiday was happening, same shirt was $12.98.

Thats why the buisness's are crazy about the idea, you see now.

Never seen that happen.

When I was in GA, they had a week of no taxes for back to school items. Never saw the prices jump around like that.
I think I would call shenanigans on the store.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Why the hell should a man pay taxes on a shirt in the first place?
Raise the taxes on LUXURY spending!
Food, Clothes,Houses, they should all be tax free.....
What a sham when people can be taxed out of their own homes .......
The rest of the money can come from user fees...
Got kids? you pay school tax per head.
wanna drive ? help pay for the roads(road tax on gas)and so on.
Corporate profits should be taxed higher.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

reply to post by macman

Yup, biden loves me.

I think you mean loving you, not loves you.

Here we go again Gordi, another post about how taxes need to be raised, more spending by an out of control Federal Govt and how ma and pa need to give up more money to fund pet projects of the Political Elite who are always generous with American's Dollars.

Nope, don't buy. Maybe try selling it on the side of the road in say??? Russia..
The Govt has a spending problem. Never seen them pass up a project, new doohicky for some Congressman, Transportation project for a Senator or anything else for that matter.

First of all I do not know why you keep bringing up the Federal govt. This is about state taxes and the fact is is that we do need taxes. The state I live in has no sales tax and we are bankrupt here. A couple days a year are cool but not every day though. There is no noticeable difference in buying since there is always no tax all the time.
Try living here. It is nice to have no sales tax but it isnt nice when the state is bankrupt either.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
IF it was done in lets say Ontario or a place with very high taxes, it would make a world of difference, sadly many people in Ontario cross border shop so it doesn't really help us especially when the taxes in New York State are much lower.

top topics

join