It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philly mayor talks tough to black youth after flash mob attacks.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, the black, liberal, Democratic mayor of Philadelphia finally had enough with the out of control black youths terrorizing the city and had some harsh words for them at his church service.

Philadelphia mayor talks tough to black teenagers after ‘flash mobs’

PHILADELPHIA — Mayor Michael A. Nutter, telling marauding black youths “you have damaged your own race,” imposed a tougher curfew Monday in response to the latest “flash mob” — spontaneous groups of teens who attack people at random on the streets of the city’s tourist and fashionable shopping districts.

“Take those God-darn hoodies down, especially in the summer,” Mr. Nutter, the city’s second black mayor, said in an angry lecture aimed at black teens. “Pull your pants up and buy a belt ‘cause no one wants to see your underwear or the crack of your butt.”

“If you walk into somebody’s office with your hair uncombed and a pick in the back, and your shoes untied, and your pants half down, tattoos up and down your arms and on your neck, and you wonder why somebody won’t hire you? They don’t hire you ‘cause you look like you’re crazy,” the mayor said. “You have damaged your own race.”

Washington times

Its good to see someone willing to drop political correctness and speak the truth to young people like this. If these kids wonder why they are lacking in opportunities then they need to take a long, hard look at themselves and honestly answer the question "if I were an employer, would I want to hire me?"

Kids need to stop dressing and acting like thugs and that's exactly what Mayor Nutter told them. Do you think anybody will listen?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

His speech pissed me off Its just giving them more fuel to the fire… . I was listening to the radio this morning, and happened to turn to a rap channel.. where the Show Hosts were complaining the Nutter was being racist against black people because of what he said about “Being a disgrace” And I had to shut if off.. I don’t care what color you are orange green silver blue.. if you give someone a heart attack and kill them.. you should be considered a disgrace…
edit on 9/8/2011 by Britx because: re-worded (:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Do you think anybody will listen?

They didnt listen to Bill Cosby, who's been saying much the same thing for decades now.
Indeed, they probably have some sort of PRIDE in defying "the man".

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Britx

Awesome speech.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Well let's see what Ron Paul has to say about this in his newsletter?

"If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be." - Ron Paul, 1992

"Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,' I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal." - Ron Paul, 1992

www.realchange.org...

Wow slander.

That newsletter article was written by someone else. Yet it is being quoted as Ron Paul said it himself.

That's technically illegal. Oops someones messed up.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
No it's not. It's in his newsletter so anything in there is assumed to be there with his permission. It's not like the general public posts there.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

"If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be." - Ron Paul, 1992

"Given the inefficiencies of what D.C. laughingly calls the `criminal justice system,' I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal." - Ron Paul, 1992

www.realchange.org...

Way to bring an entirely irrelevant and off-topic post to this thread. Not to mention both your quotes are nearly 20 years old.

On topic...I have to agree with the above poster. This may further fuel the fire, as I heard very similar reactions on this morning's "Russ Parr Show".
edit on 8/9/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
And there's more to the story, He is asking local hip-hop artists to send a positive message... Isn't rap music to blame for the degradation of the black family unit? Big daddy government has become the bread winner of the family, and the youth act on the possible celebrity life of a gang member

Reminds me of a book I once read, about society in the black communities degrading beyond repair, and governments building walls around certain cities.. kind of like District 9 in a sense.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
how do you allow someone so brainwashed by religion become mayor?

this is a receipe for disaster if ever I seen one.

its quite similar to the way things are playing out in the UK too. young people getting outta control.

i expect Nutter's response/attitude to this behaviour will only make things worse.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

No it's not. It's in his newsletter so anything in there is assumed to be there with his permission. It's not like the general public posts there.

So every op-ed in the New York Times reflects the Editors opinions? No way, it never works like that.

That's why it is called a News Paper or News Letter, because it is a collection of multiple writers presenting multiple points of view on various topics of interest.

You can only hold each person to what they individually said. Sorry, that's just the way things work.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It's about time gosh darn it!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Way to bring an entirely irrelevant and off-topic post to this thread. Not to mention both your quotes are nearly 20 years old.

On topic...I have to agree with the above poster. This may further fuel the fire, as I heard very similar reactions on this morning's "Russ Parr Show".
edit on 8/9/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

It's worse than that friend.

Someone else wrote those quotes. And they are being attributed as Ron Paul had said it himself.

It's technically breaking the rules.

slander

words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another

If CNN posts an opinion article, you can't say that Ted Turner agrees with all of it and Quote it as him.
edit on 9-8-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
how do you allow someone so brainwashed by religion become mayor?

Brainwashed by religion?

Nutter isn't some right-wing evangelical sort of politician. He's a liberal Democrat (although not as bad as his predocessor) who advocates progressive policies and endorsed Obama (I think he still does). I don't think I've ever heard him mention religion in the context of his politics during his term as mayor.

He merely used his time in church to address the congregation about the problems the city is facing. He felt comfortable among his own congregation that he would receive a friendly reception to his speech and the church just happens to have cameras recording their services.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A liberal gives a speech in a church, and no cries of a lawsuit, no cries of the mythical separation of church and state. But let future President Rick Perry hold a Prayer Rally and all hell breaks loose?

BTW, when will the cries of Uncle Tom ensue?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well there really is no excuse for any type of slander going out in things printed under your name and one or two could possibly be excused by there are many many very offensive things that makes it seem hard to believe he didn't know about it.

I only brought this up in this thread as I think it's relevant to this topic as it's a well outllined view of a current Presidential candidate and it is interesting to see what the trend is in politics in regards to the issue of black youths.

The controversial newsletters include rants against the Israeli lobby, gays, AIDS victims and Martin Luther King Jr. -- described as a "pro-Communist philanderer." One newsletter, from June 1992, right after the LA riots, says "order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

"These stories may be very old in Ron Paul's life, but they're very new to the American public and they deserve to be totally ventilated," said David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst. "I must say I don't think there's an excuse in politics to have something go out under your name and say, 'Oh by the way, I didn't write that.'"

articles.cnn.com...
OLITICS

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Do you think BLACK businessman are interested in hiring youths with an obvious "Attitude" ?????

You walk into Human Resources looking like a "Hip black dude" and you just guaranteed you will not get the job. Heck Microsoft is asking for more green cards to hire people from outside the USA!!!!

Microsoft is the latest in a long line of companies, individuals, employment-based immigration attorneys and interest groups asking for immigration reform. On Tuesday, July 26th, Microsoft's general counsel, Brad Smith, testified before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security.

His message was simple: companies looking for highly-skilled employees continue to have trouble finding top talent to fill jobs, even in this economy.

In a report to the subcommittee, he wrote that it took Microsoft an average of 65 days to fill some of its vital technology positions because the skill simply was not available. "We need to be able to attract - and have adequate access to - skilled workers from abroad," he wrote.... www.brown-immigration.com...

We trashed our Education system and told our youth it was more important to "feel good" about themselves than to get an education and all the rest of the PC bull poop and now people are whining about how kids can not get a job and how they are in a dead end.... Yaddi Yaddi Ya

Then a BLACK who is successful tells his race to smarten up and you lambaste him????

The illogic just floors me some times.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The flash mobs occurred in the Center City district; an area of high-end shopping and loaded with tourist traps. The area is highly policed and has an army trash pickers cleaning the streets to keep up the clean and safe appearance of that district.

The mob attacks were a major black eye on the image of the city as a safe place for tourists. It makes me wonder; if this had happened in a less afluent section of the city, not so reliant on tourist dollars, do you think they would be making such a fuss over this?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I don't think it's fair to base the attitude of someone on how they are dressed or how they look. I've spent alot of time in college both as a student and as an employee and some of the most brilliant and articulate people look like somebody you wouldn't want near your house.

I agree that during the hiring process you should "clean up" but wearing your pants around your ankles and having gold teeth doesn't make you a thug.
edit on 9-8-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

www.realchange.org...

Your comments are disingenuous, you claim Ron Paul wrote them but it was the author of the newsletter who wrote those comments in Ron Pauls name.

I am not saying it isn't worth a look, only that you are adding to mis-information when you claim Ron Paul wrote those comments. This seems more like a tactic to discredit a person based on another persons actions. Seeing how this has nothing to do with the topic, it is easy to assume your motives. Maybe you should start a thread about it so we can properly discredit your source

If you want to dis-credit Ron Paul, be my guest but it may be beneficial to you to do some research on it first and to cite things he has personally expressed or written. Otherwise, you only discredit yourself.

reason.com...

Back on topic: (ETA)
I am glad nutter is finaly growing some Balls, my GF works in center city, usually quite late. He is absolutely right but he doesn't understand the frustration of these youths.

They currently have no future, that will cause a certain amount of anger and Nutter is only making the situation worse with his actions and words. The ball growth is nice but he should try to do some things to diffuse the matter not heighten it.
edit on 9-8-2011 by sageofmonticello because: ETA

top topics

<<   2 >>

join