It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Cancels Schedule to Meet Returned Bodies of Fallen Soldiers: Pentagon Bars U.S. Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The White House announced that all events were canceled today, as The President is to lead a
delegation of officials to pay tribute to the fallen soldiers in Afghanistan.

President Obama will travel to Dover Air Force base later on Tuesday to honor the 22 Navy SEALs and eight other American troops killed in Afghanistan on Saturday when an insurgent shot down their helicopter, according to an administration official familiar with the matter.

Obama will head a delegation of senior administration, Pentagon, and military officials who will salute the flag-draped caskets of the troops who died in a rescue mission this weekend in the worst single-day loss of the long Afghan war. The crash in eastern Afghanistan also marked the largest death toll in the history of the U.S. Special Operations Command, which oversees the SEALs and other elite units.
nationaljournal.com...

Grave times indeed.

ETA: It is also announced that the U.S. Media will be barred from covering the event.
I would assume then that all media coverage is barred.

Which is understandable, as the large majority of these soldiers were Special Forces.

The Pentagon has ruled out media coverage of a ceremony marking the return of 30 US soldiers, including 22 Navy SEALs, who were killed when the helicopter they were travelling in was shot down in Afghanistan.
The return of the remains in flag draped coffins to the Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, possibly today, was denied media coverage because given the nature of the attack there were "no identifiable remains" of these servicemen, Pentagon spokesman Marine Col David Lapan told reporters during an off camera briefing.
timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

Not meaning to be controversial, however I cant help but wonder.

edit on 9-8-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It's good to see him showing respect though I question his integrity of doing it. I just get the feeling that this is more of a photo op than any actual concern but I could be wrong.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
if he would of canceled the meeting
to the returning fallen soldiers it would of
been all over for the next election..

I guess he got his priorities straight
real quick..
edit on 9-8-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

I would agree, no matter the controversy surrounding the deaths of the fallen,
this is one of those times that everything else is set aside to do what is honorable.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Just another photo op to make Obozo look good after his failed speech yesterday; these deceased Seals had honour and intigrity......something Obozo knows nothing about.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Yes, right, so let me get this straight, instead of canceling plans well in advance and arrange it so he could be there. He cancels his plans the day of to go after some of the worst economic news...

Sure, he cares about the soldiers...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I am wondering about the photo op angle, I dont think thats it, however I could be wrong.

This is a hugely sensitve topic..

My heart goes out to all of the families that have lost a loved one.
That is true tragedy, and many of the men were very young.

I do however think that its just throwing gasoline on an already burning fire
to bar all media. That just does not seem like a good choice, especially considering
the conrtroversy that is brewing, and the way that this Administration handled
the raid on Osama bin Laden.

Pentagon Press Association president Nancy Youssef said the organisation has protested the decision to ban media coverage and had sought to reverse the decision.

Notice that there is no coverage of this part of the story by any major msm media.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I for one don't think this is a good idea, for him to show up for returning dead bodies. And the simple reason is he is going to have all the families of THOUSANDS of dead American soldiers asking "Where was Obama when my son got killed in Iraq/Afghanistan? All I got was a letter and a flag to inform me of my son's death. So why was this event more important than my husband's/son's death? Cause they were Seals? Cause they supposedly took out OBL? Their deaths were NOT more important, to ME, than losing my loved one."

And even if Obama had shown up. Doesn't help the pain of the loss. What it helps is Obama's supposed "caring" for the soldiers. Problem is, if he really cared- HE'D GET THEM THE **** OUT OF THERE.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
what a slacker, he sends them to die then doesnt have time for them.
sounds like the president i know and resent

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I think I'm on the short list to be booted but WTF --- yo kro, do you ever post a positive comment? I havent been here very long but man I have never seen you say one nice thing ........... ever. are things really that dark inside your world? Obama is the Commander in Chief, "our" Commander in Chief, show some respect for him as well as the fallen troops.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
My deepest Veneration goes out to those who have fallen it truly does... however my perspective on things is that the crash really happened during the OBL raid or closer to that time frame and they covered it up so they could use it at a later date. The Media being Barred is just adding more credence to that. WHY? because when has this president of any president passed up a great PR scene or Photo-op... I do not think that the president is as shallow as i am making him out to be , i think hes shallower..

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

A photo op the media are barred from attending?

Sure. That makes sense.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

ETA: for clarity,

Agree, its not consistent behavior. It seems this is just another mess in line
with the whole Osama bin Laden "raid" that may nor may not have happened.

That is why I think there should be some media coverage.

And afterall Obama was the one who
losened up the guidelines when he took office. He made the revision that it would
be up to the families.

Well, I guess this is different, for the stated reason...no way to identify the fallen soldiers,

For an administration that claimed they wanted transparency, this is anything but that.

And yes, I agree we need to get the heck out.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

You can't have "transparency" in the death of any soldier connected to the Seal team which supposedly got Bin Laden. Any media coverage would potentially put the grieving families at risk for retaliation.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

I suppose that is true, however there should be some coverage, dont you agree,
just as I think there shoud have been some coverage of Osama being buried
at sea.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'll tell you why the media is barred......

because the families of these Seals are going to be there and I understand among them are already asking some pretty tough questions and want a thorough investigation in to their sons and husband's deaths. I'm also hearing among these families, afew suspect foul play.

So....do you all understand why media won't be there?

This is going to be another Tillman senario but 30 times bigger; you have NOT heard the last of these fine men. Not for a long shot.

These are photos of the deceased Seals arriving home....or whats left of them. Please take your time to look at every photo and the bio of their kids and families they left behind....and of the a precious baby due to be born in November; another was only 2 weeks old when she last saw her daddy alive!

www.wjla.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Thank you for the post, and if you can speak with the loved ones on behalf of many
of us here, we are concerned, many prayers and we support them as they stand to
ask hard questions.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This has got to be the sneakiest photo op Obama has ever had - one with no pics!

Seriously, everyone seems so caught up in their own personal ideology that the facts are just inconvenient gnats to be ignored.

As far as the press being upset, of course they are - ultimately they just want to sell images and headlines that people will eat up - no matter if the decent thing to do is afford them (the families) some measure of privacy.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
ABC showed a picture of the President saluting as the fallen arrived. It was in silloette with Panetta and a few others in line with him. I'm not a fan, but to be honest the photo of him saluting the men touched me. It may have been staged......i have no clue, but i found the picture very classy and appropriate for the occaision.

new topics

top topics

join