It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can someone answer this question its quite important

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
In my other thread i mentioned tht i spilt a drink on my acer emachine 350, Lovly davespanners send me a link showing me how to take apart a 250, my question is this, is it diffrent for a 350, i reallly need to try this cos i cant afford to buy a new machine thanks .

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'm sure you could just bring it to a computer store and they could clean it for you if you're uncomfortable with doing it your self. I don't think it would cost that much. Far less then buying a new one.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
In my other thread i mentioned tht i spilt a drink on my acer emachine 350, Lovly davespanners send me a link showing me how to take apart a 250, my question is this, is it diffrent for a 350, i reallly need to try this cos i cant afford to buy a new machine thanks .

First off, was it a sugary drink like a margarita? and how much liquid did you spill on it?
Almost all laptop computers have a plastic cover under the keyboard to prevent liquids from passing through. That being said if it was a sugary drink your going to have a really sticky keyboard for a long time. If it was just water I wouldnt be too concerned as it will dry up pretty quick. Getting at the keyboard can be quite tricky from my experience with acers.
Good Luck!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisturbedToo

First off, was it a sugary drink like a margarita? and how much liquid did you spill on it?
Almost all laptop computers have a plastic cover under the keyboard to prevent liquids from passing through. That being said if it was a sugary drink your going to have a really sticky keyboard for a long time. If it was just water I wouldnt be too concerned as it will dry up pretty quick. Getting at the keyboard can be quite tricky from my experience with acers.
Good Luck!!!

Sticky drink but not much of it. Im soooo angry with myself

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You might want to try rinsing it with distilled water.

Distilled water does not conduct electricity, will solve the sugar, and won't corrode the metal parts.

However if you're not the McGuyver type of person you should refrain from that and, as advised, take the box to a store and get an invoice on professionally cleaning it.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisturbedToo

Good Luck!!!

Sticky drink but not much of it. Im soooo angry with myself

I bet you are upset! but remember, accidents happen.
I had the exact same thing happen to my ex. I ended up turning the laptop into a desktop by attaching a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to it. The keys were so sticky it made typing impossible. I tried taking it apart to clean it, but that didnt work out. I wish you the best of luck!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

edit on 9-8-2011 by DisturbedToo because: double post

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
You might want to try rinsing it with distilled water.

Distilled water does not conduct electricity, will solve the sugar, and won't corrode the metal parts.

However if you're not the McGuyver type of person you should refrain from that and, as advised, take the box to a store and get an invoice on professionally cleaning it.

and kirk and scottie seem to agree with you. im going to take it to a shop, and im afraid i have no idea who Mcguyver is , is he the Nigella Lawson of Computers???

ps thanks for your advice friend

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

im going to take it to a shop

Definitely the right course of action in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
maybe just plug a slimline keyboard in and place it over your old one...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This has probably been solved, but for others- a key point has been omitted! If you spill something on your laptop IMMEDIATELY remove all sources of power (unplug it and remove the battery). Then you can turn it over or on it's side to drain any liquid. A sugary drink can sometimes be rinsed out with distilled water but ONLY after disconnecting power. Let the laptop dry out for a day or two before using it. I have heard of putting a keyboard (detached) in a dishwasher, but I really would not recommend that.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I've also heard, but haven't tried, to cover the device in dry rice inside a container for a couple days. If the fear is that the rice will find its way in the device, put it in fine pantyhose. The rice will absorb moisture. This works well with cell phones that get wet, laptops might be a different story. As others have mentioned immediately disconnect all power sources when the liquid spills to reduce the damage.

brill

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Distilled will conduct electricity as soon as it starts to get contaminated.

Air tight box filled with instant rice. just set laptop on top. Leave in a warm spot for a couple of days.

Electronics is actually pretty waterproof as long as current is not flowing. The shorting out and later the corrosion kills them.
edit on 8/19/2011 by staple because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join