It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriotism for your country

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
As long as people continue to believe the notion that God is blessing any particular country over that of another, nationalism will continue to flourish. Although a believe in God is not required to practice Nationalism, it is shamelessly promoted by the support of the clergy and religious leaders.

I like what Einstein wrote concerning his views of Nationalism . "I never identified myself with any particular country,"’ He called nationalism "an infantile disease . . . the measles of the human race."

Patriotism and nationalism are not the same thing, but they are joined at the hip.

The Encyclopedia Americana says:

“Nationalism is a state of mind which can be, and often is, induced by governmental and private propaganda. It can be the creature of ambitious leaders who wish to form certain patterns of opinion which they expect to use, for their own purposes perhaps, or for ends they consider to be in the public interest.”
The Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 19, page 755, 1956 edition.

Under the heading “Irrationality” it states:

“The ability of governmental and civic leaders to spread the ferment of nationalism among the masses is greatly facilitated by its highly irrational character. The extreme patriot is largely impervious to rational argument. Even in free countries, he may never hear the truth, especially if he reads only tendentious newspapers or tunes in his radio to biased, chauvinistic [blind, enthusiastic] commentators. Moreover, it is difficult to see how adults can consider the international problems facing their nation with any degree of objectivity if as young children their minds were formed by history books that were one-sided and biased.”
The Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 19, page 756, 1956 edition.

Patriotism is little more than systematic conditioning to prompt one to rally around national symbols and support the wars and foreign polices of it's leaders. It happens in every country in the world and starts in kindergarten, if not before.
Without such notions as Nationalism & Patriotism, the politicians of this world would be hard pressed to convince their followers to kill and oppress their fellow man.

The religious leaders would have to take up the slack and continue to promote the notion of a just war, which in the past resulted in Catholic killing Catholic, Protestant killing Protestant, & Muslim killing Muslim.

The situation for mankind actually looks pretty grim.

edit on 8/10/2011 by Sparky63 because: added comment

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Very well said, and i agree with you 100% But most people just don't see this, and most prob never will. To these people, their country is the only thing that matters. They believe that God is looking down on their country and will bless them and keeep them safe. Its so sad that the world is like this, but i don't see a change any time soon.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by Jay-morris

So are you saying Our Fore Fathers got it wrong? Or / and commitment to the country you call the homeland is stupid? I am a believer in the principles that make patriotism worth something to me. There is no problem in believing in something, unless what you believe in is a problem. It would be like saying marriage is stupid because people get divorced. I don't mean this toward you in a rude way. I respect your opinions, I just don't agree with the bottom line they point to !!

Your fore fathers are only human, we are all only human. And no, i don't agree with them. Can't you see how this has caused more trouble than good? Can't you see how governments brainwash their people with patrioism? Maybe i do see things different than you. I see a small world in a huge universe. I see humans, who are all related, fighting with eachother, acting like children trying to beat the next country into space, to get the newest technology, and pretty much everything else. To me, it is a very preimitive way of thinking.

You make my point with your own words when you say " I see a small world in a huge universe. I SEE HUMANS WHO ARE ALL RELATED FIGHTING WITH EACH OTHER ETC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
My point is simply that if the world is behaving the way you described then America is where I would rather be. I challange anyone to name a better place to live in these troubled times and by the way, people for decades have prayed and died to come to America.

There is a difference in being patriotic to principals over peoples misbehaviour as elected officials

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'm sorry, call me whatever you want, I got a thick skin, names dont hurt me, but I believe in being a Patriot for your country, I am a DAMN proud American and there is no better place then the USA!!
Again, call me what you will, it will just show your mentality and emotional age
I wont be replying to this thread again

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

You make my point with your own words when you say " I see a small world in a huge universe. I SEE HUMANS WHO ARE ALL RELATED FIGHTING WITH EACH OTHER ETC.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
My point is simply that if the world is behaving the way you described then America is where I would rather be. I challange anyone to name a better place to live in these troubled times and by the way, people for decades have prayed and died to come to America.

There is a difference in being patriotic to principals over peoples misbehaviour as elected officials

But thats only becuase you are from America, thats the only reason why you think this way. For an example, why is america a better place to live than the UK? For our small country, we have many wanting to come to the uk too. I have been to many places around the world, and have seen the good and bad in many places. and even though i have not been to the usa, i know is has the good, but also the bad, just like everywhere else.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
I'm sorry, call me whatever you want, I got a thick skin, names dont hurt me, but I believe in being a Patriot for your country, I am a DAMN proud American and there is no better place then the USA!!
Again, call me what you will, it will just show your mentality and emotional age
I wont be replying to this thread again

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Why does God bless America? Can't you see that you have been brainwashed to think this way, i guess you don't
And why is there no better place that the usa. Can you explain this further? I guess not because thats the reason why you post one message, then get out of here!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Jay. Please listen to what I am trying to explain. First on a personal note to you. I am sure you have many reasons for your feelings and I respect that okay? Period, I mean that.

What I am saying is I am a patriot / lover of what America used to be like in it's ideals and purpose of freedom. I know things are not like they were in The America of today, compared to when I was a little boy. But I love the America of old and with all it's problems it is still the "Best of The Lousy Lot" in my opinion. Not because other people in other countries are less than Americans but because I hope and believe there is still a chance for America to come back if it can get back to the basics that made it great. BELIEF IN GOD IN TRUE ACTIONS AND NOT JUST WORDS !!! Etc.....

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Jay. Please listen to what I am trying to explain. First on a personal note to you. I am sure you have many reasons for your feelings and I respect that okay? Period, I mean that.

What I am saying is I am a patriot / lover of what America used to be like in it's ideals and purpose of freedom. I know things are not like they were in The America of today, compared to when I was a little boy. But I love the America of old and with all it's problems it is still the "Best of The Lousy Lot" in my opinion. Not because other people in other countries are less than Americans but because I hope and believe there is still a chance for America to come back if it can get back to the basics that made it great. BELIEF IN GOD IN TRUE ACTIONS AND NOT JUST WORDS !!! Etc.....

But do you see how patrioism for your country causes so many problems, esp when it comes to other countries. It makes us distant from other countries, and pretty much makes people think that their country is the only country that matters. If people felt the same way for the planet, as a whole, then things could only get better.

I respect your opinions too. Thats why i started this thread, to have a good harmless debate.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Problem with patriotism, is that most want to share in the glories of their for fathers but ask them to feel guilt for the actions of their for fathers and they say it is nothing to do with them now.

People like to tell you about winning wars and their grand fathers kicking the NAZI's ass's, but mention slavery and they don't want anything to do with it. So it's OK to wallow i the glory, but ignore the injustices.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

No some of use love the country that we learned about God and forgivness and compasion, I have always hated any type of human bondage including slavery. You might check the historical facts that England supported The South in the Civil War and the South was the one with and for Slavery. Funny your a Brit and you knock America for Slavery as your own country supported it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

reply to post by woodwardjnr

No some of use love the country that we learned about God and forgivness and compasion, I have always hated any type of human bondage including slavery. You might check the historical facts that England supported The South in the Civil War and the South was the one with and for Slavery. Funny your a Brit and you knock America for Slavery as your own country supported it.

I'm well aware of my own nations involvement in the slave trade. I wasn't bashing America, I was talking about my own nation. Stop being so over sensitive.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Some of you might be interested in the fact that there is the United Kingdom (kingdom) and there is the united states of America. America is a corporation. America has a president. It is not even a country.

Watch this:
youtu.be...

No one is special because we are all slaves.

Have a good day.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Anyone who buys into patriotism is playing right into the hands of your owners.
Divide and conquer. If you can be deluded into thinking you are better than others then you will not mind killing the other barbaric race. This is social programming.
Ever seen a cowboy and Indian film, when i was a child i asked my father which were the bad guys. He told me the ones with feathers (Indians). Now i know that it was the cowboys because they were stealing the Indians home.
It is sad that people believe that they are better just because they were born in a particular place.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Anyone who buys into patriotism is playing right into the hands of your owners.
Divide and conquer. If you can be deluded into thinking you are better than others then you will not mind killing the other barbaric race. This is social programming.
Ever seen a cowboy and Indian film, when i was a child i asked my father which were the bad guys. He told me the ones with feathers (Indians). Now i know that it was the cowboys because they were stealing the Indians home.
It is sad that people believe that they are better just because they were born in a particular place.

Thats basically how i see it. People actually think that God is looking down on their country and protecting them! If we don't kill eachother, a time will come when patrioism for your country will be a thing of the past. When we get to the stage where we can travel further into space, or maybe when we come into contact with an Alirn race, thats when our eyes will open. We will see the world as a whole, and not just bits and pieces.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join