It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destroyer of worlds ... it's us.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Robert Oppenheimer, when visiting Japan in the 60's, quoted in response to the atomic bomb;

"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

This line haunts me ... "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds".

Fast forward to August 2011, and, in one way or another, we all now think this. We have become Vishnu - we have become the destroyer of worlds.

Through our apathy, through our self-serving pursuit of intangible wealth and success - through our disregard for our planet, our society, or fellow man; we have become our own destroyer of worlds.

Those things we pursue, which are ingrained in our psyche from birth, and killing the earth.

Destroying our waters - We are creating anoxic areas of water within our oceans - the BP spill has caused areas of anoxic waters within the Gulf, devastating the ocean life, which has a direct link with our own lives. Once this food chain is destroyed, one of our main means of food and survival is in jeapordy.

Expansion / Cities / Building things!- Land degradation - as we expand, we strip our planet of viable land, oxygen creating trees, and our ecosystem. The more we build, the more compacted areas become for animals to survive - creating starvation, and ultimately the death of species.

Overpopulation - Pretty simple to understand - the more people there are, the less food is available. Take this into account with the less viable land, the destruction of our oceans, and a pretty clear picture is formed. All you need to do is look at China, a cap on the number of children a family can have ...

Global meltdown The current topic that's at the forefront of all our minds. Mark Feldstein, an economics professor at Harvard, puts a US recession at more than 50% likelihood. There is much debate and opinion on what this will actually mean for the US and the world, but it's clear that the heady days of consumerism are fast falling behind us - the deck of cards if swaying, if not falling.

What can history tell us about the fall of great empires? All we need to do is look at the fall of Rome

A.D 1453 - the year that many point to as the fall of one of the greatest empires - the fall of Rome.

History teaches us that the main catalysts behind the fall of this Empire are as follows;

Christianity
Decadence
Monetary troubles
Military problems

If you asked 100 people on the street, their opinions on what are the main causes of the current issues we face, they would state the above (Christianity can encompass religion).

We only need cast our eyes back 600 years, to see a mirror image of the problems we face now - and the end result is the fall of an empire.

However, 600 years ago, the world was lucky enough to not be so reliant on world economies, trade alliances & military alignments. We are not so lucky.

Regardless of what people may think, or say, the fall of the US will trigger a global meltdown such as we have not seen before, and the writing is on the wall.

I want to end with the following scripture, Bhagavad Gita, chapter 11, verses 31-33;

The Supreme Lord said: I am death, the mighty destroyer of the world, out to destroy. Even without your participation all the warriors standing arrayed in the opposing armies shall cease to exist."

Thousands of years ago, these thoughts were arrayed towards a "God", one who had the power to destroy armies, and the world.

I would put forward the point that we have become Vishnu, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What used to be mythology, has become fact. We have walked a path, which ends with our own destruction - we are men, base and simple, but we have created a structure, a social hierachy, which has given our leaders free reign to destroy our world, and us with it.

Where do we go from here? I would like to say we have a choice, a way to divert the inevitable, but I believe we have long passed this route.

We, as a global community, have sat idle and allowed our leaders to dictate the path we tread - we have done so for the past 600 years (and more), and it's now time for us to pa the piper.

Hold on, if nothing else it will be an interesting ride.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

I like the way you SNEAK IN CHRISTIANITY AS A CAUSE OF THE FALLEN ROMAN EMPIRE!!
Does it seem possible to you that they failed and fell because they were ungodly and their oppression of the lands and people of the world was their ticket to destruction?

PS Christianity is not a RELIGION, it's a RELATIONSHIP !!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby

I like the way you SNEAK IN CHRISTIANITY AS A CAUSE OF THE FALLEN ROMAN EMPIRE!!
Does it seem possible to you that they failed and fell because they were ungodly and their oppression of the lands and people of the world was their ticket to destruction?

PS Christianity is not a RELIGION, it's a RELATIONSHIP !!

I like the way you conveniently ignored the other key factors, and the fact that I stated not just Christianity, but religion as a whole.

Religion, and peoples unwavering, unquestioning obedience, is the crux of the issues. We invest so much energy and time into doctrines which hold us back, or point us in the wrong direction.

Remove religion, in its entirety, from the world, and it would be a better place. This is obviously my opinion, and will probably unleash a storm of debate, but this topic is my opinion, and based on my own experience.

To put it into perspective, I grew up as a born again Christian - and have subsequently studied both Islam and Buddhism, so am relatively well versed in different forms of belief and religion.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I've been thinking of this allot in the last few years. Our influence on this planet. After watching Robert oppenheimer speak, I felt the urge too use it, spread this knowledge of our destruction on this in the near past. Make people wake up, and understand what kind of world they where brought in to.
Later I created this video with my friend Skekke.

Sincerely
Mystery & Science

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Let me be clear about this. I don't disagree with most of your facts. I said in my post what I meant. Nothing more.
Tell me something, do you think the worlds problems are because of Christianity?
Let me explain a fact of life to you. The Romans had plenty of GODS. Plenty of false religion. The belief in Christ wasn't one of them and had nothing to do with their demise!
My point is that the global economy and Christianity are two totally different issues and are like oil and water if your trying to mix them together. The oppisite is equally true as well and that is Christianity is not going to fall because of the global economy!! One has nothing to do with the other..

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krowmoe
I've been thinking of this allot in the last few years. Our influence on this planet. After watching Robert oppenheimer speak, I felt the urge too use it, spread this knowledge of our destruction on this in the near past. Make people wake up, and understand what kind of world they where brought in to.
Later I created this video with my friend Skekke.

Sincerely
Mystery & Science

Great post - thank you for contributing.

So true - throughout the ages, God was the only one thought possible to destroy our earth. We have now become the most likely source of total destruction.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby

Let me be clear about this. I don't disagree with most of your facts. I said in my post what I meant. Nothing more.
Tell me something, do you think the worlds problems are because of Christianity?
Let me explain a fact of life to you. The Romans had plenty of GODS. Plenty of false religion. The belief in Christ wasn't one of them and had nothing to do with their demise!
My point is that the global economy and Christianity are two totally different issues and are like oil and water if your trying to mix them together. The oppisite is equally true as well and that is Christianity is not going to fall because of the global economy!! One has nothing to do with the other..

My issue with your point is where you state that Christianity is not a "religion", but a "relationship".

The definition of "religion", is as follows'

1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

Christianity is, without any argument, a religion.

And, without argument, Religion has, throughout the ages, been used as a controlling tool for the masses.

I can give you 10 examples of religion being used for ultimately evil and bad purposes, for every 1 you can give me in relation to it's use for "good".

I don't believe in an omnipotent presence which guides or controls us - I believe that man, as relating to Maslows heirachy of needs, can easily be lulled into a sense of security believing in something which is greater than himself.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

And you are entitled to your beliefs and opinions.
As I am also entitled to mine..

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Humans have/are slowly destroying the earth, as more people live, more things die to make room... We made our own world what it is and are destroying it. Forrests can only last so long and so can food in the ocean, once its gone its going to be very hard to build it up to what it used to be... We think about now rather then the future of the planet, While governments are taxing people on carbon which i think is non existent their still allowing the earth to be destroyed by loggers and letting animals become extinct. Our governments resources would be better spent in looking at who is destroying the earth rather then making us pay for their mistakes.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
First of all I am laughing well! I love when Jesus freaks get all in an uproar. To say religion (Christianity being one of the main players over time) has nothing to do with economy or the fall of civilizations...or being a major player in wars is one of the most ridiculous things I have read thus far today! I can't wait for the day when the hyper religious come to find out everything they believed in was twisted by man for independent gains, and that they are so far off the mark...
However OP you seem smart and well studied and have a totally solid argument! I have been thinking to myself the very same thing lately. We are destroying this place on so many levels..and very few care.
We don't deserve the ground we walk on in my opinion....

new topics

top topics

join