It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your face -- and the Web -- can tell everything about you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Your face -- and the Web -- can tell everything about you

redtape.msnbc.msn.com

By Bob Sullivan

Imagine being able to sit down in a bar, snap a few photos of people and quickly learn who they are, who their friends are, where they live, what kind of music they like ... even predict their Social Security number.

Now, imagine you could visit one of those anonymous online dating sites and quickly identify nearly every person there, just from their photos, despite efforts to keep their online romance search a secret.

Such technology is so creepy that it was developed, and withheld, by Google — the one initiative that Google deemed too dangerous to release to the w
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
ok isn't this all just enough to make you wanna go live in a cave or a very deep whole somewhere away from society , maybe run to the mountains and hide there. something really big is going down out there and most average everyday people are just clueless about all these new technologies that are being placed with in our world left and right.

redtape.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Doesn't Facebook already have facial recognition software available.

You know, the web bot programs are capable of accessing every piece of information available on servers, pcs, phones and so on that are connected to the internet wirelesly or wired. It can be used to predict events based on huge multitudes of info.

This tech can also be used to red flag certain personalities and individuals. In my opinion, behavioral profiling is extremely inaccurate.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This is exactly why I will try not to ever put a real picture of my face on the internet. It can be used in facial recognition programs.
edit on 9-8-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WeAreNothingWithoutGOD

I guess metaphorically wearing a mask isn't going to cut it anymore.....Maybe one day it really will be like in minority report. I don't think is ethical, who would want to live in a society where your every move is monitored and tracked? I certainly wouldn't.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I have Picasa on my desktop and had been using it for a while. One of their updates had the facial recognition included. It labels all photos and asks me about the ones it isn't sure about. It's uncanny how well it does at getting the faces of people correct! It's even picked out friends and family in large group photos and/or in the background of most pictures I've uploaded. Some I hadn't even realized were in the background, until Picasa pointed them out. It even correctly labeled adult photos using old baby and/or child pictures, and vice versa.

It does make a few mistakes, rarely, but even those mistakes usually end up being immediate kin to one another (brother/sister, mother/daughter). So, does this mean that it could even pick out our relatives fairly easy? If so, then it may not matter if you choose not to add your photo to the internet, as the program may be able to identifly you anyway.

Didn't Google end up buying Picasa?

Scary.

new topics

top topics

join