It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth wrapped in a shell of antimatter! "A huge source of energy!", scientists says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The Earth is surrounded by a shell of antimatter: trapped in our magnetic field, and potentially could represent a huge source of energy. This amazing discovery made by the instrument Pamela (Payload for Antimatter Matter Exploration and Light-nuclei Astrophysics), created almost entirely in Italy, is a real hunter of antimatter in orbit around the Earth aboard the Russian satellite Resurs-DK1 between 350 and 600 kilometers above our heads.
www.media.inaf.it...

Google translation

The survey was done over the Atlantic coast of Brazil. At this point, in fact, the satellite was able to meet that special cake , called the Van Allen belts , which is made ​​up of charged particles generated by collisions between cosmic rays from space and the particles of the most 'external atmosphere. Its shape resembles a donut because at Brazil's crushing to the ground, forming a depression known as the South Atlantic Anomaly .

"This is' the first time demonstrates that the presence of antimatter around the Earth," said Piergiorgio Picozza , physical Infn among the Italian authors of the research. With regard to its origin, the hypothesis most 'likely it is that "derive from antineutrons antiprotons generated by the clash between cosmic rays and the atmosphere. Once in the Earth's magnetic field - he adds - that are transformed into antiprotons are then trapped. "

"This group of antimatter - Picozza precise - may be, from a theoretical point of view, a huge source of energy, we could get as bumping matter with antimatter."

This is what is said in research published on Asthrophysical Journal Letters, an international experiment conducted by Pamela , coordinated by the 'Institute of Physics and conducted in collaboration with the ' Italian Space Agency .

Any link with the South Atlantic Anomaly www.abovetopsecret.com... the Disappearance of French Airbus 330 Flight 447? www.abovetopsecret.com... ?

edit on 9-8-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Excellent! So now all we have to do is neutralize that pesky magnetic field and then let the huge pile of antimatter gently rain down on our population centers. We can use homeless people to gather up the antimatter.....

Oh wait that might actually blow everything up instead.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Excellent!

Very, very brilliant post.....

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I'm fascinated to learn how you came across this.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terrorist
reply to post by Arken

I'm fascinated to learn how you came across this.

I'm fascinated to learn how you came across this thread too....

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I think you are being somewhat unreasonable. The question was valid. This is an article in Italian and the poster was enquiring as to how you came across it presumably on the assumption that you are not Italian.

Stop feeling you are being attacked. I too am interested as I don't spend my time browsing Italian web sites as I don't read Italian. I am also interested to hear you opinion on the research?

edit on 9/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Sorry for the post above: a misunderstanding of the post.
Too short for my little mind.

On the news: I think that this is a very important discovery, with all the consequences in every field.

The antimatter is not so far away from us, but right at the corner of the street...

And another strange coincidence is that the "antimatter cake" is located right above the South Atlantic Anomaly, right in the same area where the French Airbus has fallen.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Illustronic has a nice post about a possible way to collect this antimatter over here along with some more random info:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

BBC is reporting it too:

Antimatter belt around Earth discovered by Pamela craft

BBC

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
scientists say- what they are paid to say..
nuke power! safe, cheap..they all signed on for that gravy train too.
research funds needed for tapping huge source of bull#.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO
reply to post by Arken

BBC is reporting it too:

Antimatter belt around Earth discovered by Pamela craft

BBC

Thanks for your contribution, RUSSO.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

And another strange coincidence is that the "antimatter cake" is located right above the South Atlantic Anomaly, right in the same area where the French Airbus has fallen.

I don't see that in the article. I see a description of the distortion of the Van Allen belts. I do not see anywhere that the SAA is where the antiprotons were found.

The paper itself explains that over a period of 850 days in orbit, 28 antiprotons were detected. It does not say where. 28 protons. That's not going to provide much energy.

During about 850 days of data acquisition (from 2006 July to 2008 December), 28 trapped antiprotons were identified within the kinetic energy range 60–750 MeV.

arxiv.org...

edit on 8/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think they are not telling the truth about it. I think it's really Photon belt that solar system is arriving soon.

Don't quote it.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Looking at the SOHO telescope website and using the C3 camera view,

what's that black ribbon whipping back from Venus towards us?

That's where I would gather antimatter.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Arken

I don't see that in the article. I see a description of the distortion of the Van Allen belts. I do not see anywhere that the SAA is where the antiprotons were found.

The paper itself explains that over a period of 850 days in orbit, 28 antiprotons were detected. It does not say where. 28 protons. That's not going to provide much energy.

During about 850 days of data acquisition (from 2006 July to 2008 December), 28 trapped antiprotons were identified within the kinetic energy range 60–750 MeV.

arxiv.org...

I don't see that in the article. I see a description of the distortion of the Van Allen belts. I do not see anywhere that the SAA is where the antiprotons were found

You don't see that because it is my connection.

Do you read the article, Phage? Really? Don't you see neither this? Are you blind or a NAY sayers?

The survey was done over the Atlantic coast of Brazil. At this point, in fact, the satellite was able to meet that special cake, called the Van Allen belts, which is made ​​up of charged particles generated by collisions between cosmic rays from space and the particles of the most 'external atmosphere.Its shape resembles a donut because at Brazil's crushing to the ground, forming a depression known as the South Atlantic Anomaly .

Translate in the language you prefer..... phage.
www.media.inaf.it...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

PHAGE: PAGE 7!

The trapped ¯p/p ratio measured by PAMELA in the SAA region (red points).

arxiv.org...

A NAY SAYERS!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

A closer reading of the paper shows several things.
It was found that the flux of antiprotons within the SAA is higher than outside of it but the chart for which you quoted the caption:

The trapped ¯p/p ratio measured by PAMELA in the SAA region (red points).

Shows that the antiproton/proton ratio for high energy particles found outside the SSA is as high as that within the SSA.

It was found that there is (as predicted) an energy cutoff point within the SAA. Only low energy antiprotons were found there.

PAMELA data confirm the existence of a significant antiproton flux in the SAA below ~ 1 GeV in kinetic energy.

So 28 low energy antiprotons were found in the SAA (where the inner Van Allen radiation belt is closest to Earth's surface). What about the whole data set?

The satellite-borne experiment PAMELA has been used to make a new measurement of the cosmic-ray antiproton flux and the antiproton-to-proton flux ratio which extends previously published measurements down to 60 MeV and up to 180 GeV in kinetic energy. During 850 days of data acquisition approximately 1500 antiprotons were observed.

arxiv.org...
So out of those 1,500 antiprotons, 28 of them were found in the inner Van Allen belt (the SAA).

The paper confirms the prediction that the Van Allen Radiation belts would be found to trap low energy antimatter particles. The reason the SAA was the target of the research is because it is the portion of the inner Van Allen belt which is closest to Earth's Surface and PAMELA passes through it. The theory could be tested.

Your connection of the crash of Air France flight 447 to the existence of a few antiprotons found hundreds of kilometers above the surface makes no sense. Any such particles precipitating into the atmosphere would be annihilated long before reaching the altitudes at which aircraft operate. You should also consider that the the ISS and other satellites (including PAMELA) pass through the SAA several times each day.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

No, I meant the news article. I should have stated it more like this: How did you come across that article?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terrorist
reply to post by Arken

No, I meant the news article. I should have stated it more like this: How did you come across that article?

INAF website, is one of my favorite.

I check it sometime.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join