It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the electoral college become a thing of the past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

The Electoral College could be inching closer to extermination as California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill Monday that would award the state's 55 electoral votes to the presidential candidate who wins the national popular vote.

The bill would take effect only if the states that hold a majority of the 538 electoral votes approve similar legislation. With California's addition, that total now stands at 132, almost 49 percent of the 270 needed

politics.blogs.foxnews.com...

I have always thought the electoral college is a joke and that the person who gets the majority of the votes of the people should win the election. It looks like we are almost there and could actually have a president elected by the people and not electors.
edit on 9-8-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

Source from California www.scpr.org...

This is called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

en.wikipedia.org...

Right now the states that are part of this are:
Maryland, New Jersey, Illinois, Hawaii, Washington, Massachusets, D.C, Vermont, and California.

I may have been living under a political rock but I have never heard of this. Its a pretty good read.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Hey what can I say? I have an opinion on this one and it's simple. If the people vote, the vote should count!!
If the count is 51-49? the 51's win but, ONLY IF THE COUNT IS COUNTED BY HUMAN HANDS AND NOT ELECTRONICS!!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
If I was asked this question a few years ago I would answer, YES. But, now I understand that our entire system has to go & be replaced with a government system that cannot be corrupted....I am not sure that is even possible. It all takes me back to what happened to Caeser, Lincoln & JFK and more importantly, "The Golden Rule", (he who holds the gold, makes the rules.) (It's my ball, we play by my rules, or I take the ball away) !
edit on 9-8-2011 by SurvivalInstinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
wrong forum oops.
edit on 9-8-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The Electoral College is hardly a joke, though I suspect it will eventually be dismantled. Apparently, our modern culture prefers mob rule and the idea of statehood seems more and more antiquated. The growth of the Federal government, and the homogonized appearance of states (in terms of federal mandates and laws) is unfortunate. But realize that a popular vote could render nearly all states but a few (NY, Florida, California, Texas, perhaps a few others) voiceless. And further, in an election year fueled with uncertainty and conflict (2012?) with multiple candidates (Obama, Romney- Paul and Trump (third parties?)), there is always the chance of small plurality winning. Though possibly far-fetched, the future could hold a candidate with ideas contrary to the ideals of the nation. I'd provide some scenarios, but I'm sure everyone could think of their own which would be disasterous for the country if we relied merely on the popular vote.

new topics

top topics

join