It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do masons get angry at people researching their beliefs?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

I don't know about Wiccans and Magick, but York Rite is one school of teaching, a little more ancient in nature, Scottish Rite is a little more modern teaching, more centered around the New Testament, and Shriners like to PARTY and hang out and raise a TON OF MONEY for the kids that use their hospitals. One can be all 3, or none of the above, and still be a good Mason. I am a Mason and a Shriner, but I haven't had time to do either of the other Rites....yet. I will.

As for the Shriners, Ray Stevens pretty much nailed it:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Whats the difference in being a shriner and a York/scottish rite mason?

What is a prince hall?
edit on 9-8-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Being a Shriner has nothing to do with York Rite or Scottish Rite these days. There was a time when Shriner's were a smaller subset of the Scottish Rite, but not any longer.

This is kind of like going to a University, and then majoring in one field or another, or deciding to just party and work on your social skills and fundraise for the University. Shriners are the partying fundraisers, while the York Rite and Scottish Rite are studying away in their perspective fields. They might have a few core principles that are the same, but the further along they go, the more their fields start to become unique.

All of this is completely voluntary and not important to becoming a Mason. There is no higher honor and/or degree than that of 3rd Degree Master Mason. Everything else is just extra learning and extra social time with your brethren.

ETA:
Prince Hall is a different sect of Masonry. In most states now it is exactly equivalent to Free and Accepted Masonry. In my state it is still not recognized and is therefore not considered Masonry, or is considered "clandestine" Masonry. That is all just administrative babble from decades ago, and it hasn't quite been worked out yet, but it will be soon enough as Masonry evolves into the younger generations and the older ones die off.
edit on 9-8-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Q. How many Freemasons does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A. Freemasons don't screw in lightbulbs. That's ridiculous. Al Pike referred to a light bulb once, and everyone quotes him out of context.

Seriously, though, what an excellent thread.

edit on 9-8-2011 by mistermonculous because: Finishing touches.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Can anyone here (masons) please explain to me what the islamic influence is on freemasonry, shriners and why?
If you do not know i will understand.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

What is the difference between a Wiccan and a black magician?

All right. But don't get grumpy!

A Wiccan is someone that participates in what are called neo-pagan groups. Neo Pagan, because Wicca was popularized by Gerald Gardener in the 1950s. So that makes it pretty darned Neo.

"Black Magician" is too broad a descriptor and makes me think of The Seven Voyages of Sinbad. Could you be more specific? I don't mind if you want to go all A.C. on me.

What is the difference between a york rite Freemason and a Scottish rite Freemason and a Shriner?

York and Scottish rites are a matter of affiliation and a new Brother usually does not know the difference. But when said Brother has been down the road a piece he usually seeks out the one he missed in the beginning.

I am not going to detail the historical and geographic differences as this can be easily found on Wiki and I don't think you are looking for that anyway.

To be a Shriner one needs to be a Master Mason.

Did I cover it all?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Being a Shriner has nothing to do with York Rite or Scottish Rite these days. There was a time when Shriner's were a smaller subset of the Scottish Rite, but not any longer. This is kind of like going to a University, and then majoring in one field or another, or deciding to just party and work on your social skills and fundraise for the University.

Shriners are the partying fundraisers, while the York Rite and Scottish Rite are studying away in their perspective fields.

They might have a few core principles that are the same, but the further along they go, the more their fields start to become unique. All of this is completely voluntary and not important to becoming a Mason. There is no higher honor and/or degree than that of 3rd Degree Master Mason. Everything else is just extra learning and extra social time with your brethren.

Stop that.

You are making me feel ancient and primal urges I haven't felt since.....

You make it sound very appealing. The research part is like crack to me.

edit on 9-8-2011 by Frater210 because:

edit on 9-8-2011 by Frater210 because: Crack!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Was crowley a black magician? Why do people hate this guy?

Why do a lot of people don't like the fabian society?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

That's what I thought, JRC.

Okay. I am going to seriously bottom line the Crowley hate thing. And this is my final word on it forever.

Because people hate themselves.

Just come out and write what you need to say, JRC. You need the practice and no one will hold you responsible for it.

We will just consider it a thought experiment on your part.

edit on 9-8-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

That's what I thought, JRC.

Okay. I am going to seriously bottom line the Crowley hate thing, JRC. And this is my final word on it forever.

Because people hate themselves.

Just come out and write what you need to say, JRC. You need the practice and no one will hold you responsible for it.

We will just consider it a thought experiment on your part.

Michael Tsarian (a mason) bashes them from time to time.

Are women allowed to join the Shriners?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
No women can't.

And Michael who?

Is this line of questioning (all of the answers that could be easily found online) heading towards a point or revalation?

Not trying to be mean, just curious.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Are women allowed to join the Shriners?

No. It is an unfortunate anachronism.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

No women in the Shriners. The Shriners are called "Nobles" and their wives are their "ladies."

The sister organization for women is the "Daughters of the Nile." My wife and mother are both members of that organization, and in our little town, they actually raise more money for the Hospitals than the Shriners do! They are very organized and they hold a couple of great events each year.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

No women in the Shriners. The Shriners are called "Nobles" and their wives are their "ladies." The sister organization for women is the "Daughters of the Nile." My wife and mother are both members of that organization, and in our little town, they actually raise more money for the Hospitals than the Shriners do! They are very organized and they hold a couple of great events each year.

This is the true secret power of Freemasonry.

They are able to bring this kind of Norman Rockwell, American goodness at will.

Like I said, very appealing. I wish they would do away with all the trappings that could lead to some crying 'sexism', though.

Notice I chose the low yield word there and not another word such as misogyny or anything like that.

Ed.
Which is to say that although I think the ladies like the occasional break as well; it's still rather anachronistic.
Ed.
And that is just another way of saying that I am pretty sick of the whole guys in the kitchen girls in the living room way of associating.
edit on 9-8-2011 by Frater210 because: Are We Off Topic?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I think it is actually healthy to have a club where guys who are trying to be good people can hang out with other guys who are trying to be good people - without the pressures of impressing women, image and all that other stuff.

Men seriously don't get all that many opportunities to have healthy adult relationships. Normally it is go to the bar, watch the game, etc.

It is nice to just be able to socialize sometimes.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneYouFearIsRight
And Michael who?

The numbnuts who thinks that aliens destroyed a planet between Mars and Jupiter which subsequently caused the Great Flood.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

LOL! Yes, a very gentle rebuttal.

No denying that sexism exists in many places, especially in male fraternities!

On the other hand, is there any place with better family values, better marriage success, and better relationships than in Masonry? I think one would be hard-pressed to find it!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

And Michael who?

The numbnuts who thinks that aliens destroyed a planet between Mars and Jupiter which subsequently caused the Great Flood.

Now,

Why would they go and destroy a perfectly good planet?

That just seems wasteful (and who in the world would think Masons had done it?)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

LOL! Yes, a very gentle rebuttal.

No denying that sexism exists in many places, especially in male fraternities!

On the other hand, is there any place with better family values, better marriage success, and better relationships than in Masonry? I think one would be hard-pressed to find it!

Why does Tsarian annoys other masons? Seems cool to me. You learn a thing or two from that guy.

They say he's wrong a lot but no one gives examples.

Which secret society is the best for random sexual encounters?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Why would they go and destroy a perfectly good planet?

It was a decoy so they would not destroy Earth. Makes total sense now, right?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join