It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do masons get angry at people researching their beliefs?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Later, the Lodge reopened; conferring the Master Mason Degree on Éliphas Lévi on August 21, 1861. The following month Lévi was called upon to give a keynote address on the Mysteries of Initiation; a brother, Mr. Ganeval having wanted to present some observations on what had been just said, Eliphas Lévi protested and left the meeting. Caubet tried the following day to make him reconsider his decision; Lévi refused and did not reappear again in Lodge.

Damn, I knew it. That was fast, JN.

I was going to go on to try and put the final nail in MasonWatch.com but you just did it for those that can add.

Fashion and pretension are a giant part of occult history. Sometimes I think that it is most of it.

I hate to bring this up; but did you know that that 'Become A Mason' thread we were on a couple of weeks ago has been removed? Try the search function. It is on Page 2.

ask.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10-8-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
I live in Ohio.
I'm sorry. I mean, cool.

Grand Lodge of Ohio currently has 508 lodges in the state, according to a recent newsletter.

Only 4 within the Cleveland city limits, which surprises me. There might be some smaller adjoining cities I'm not familiar with that handle some of the suburbs, perhaps? (2 in Lakewood, 4 in Lyndhurst, 1 in Parma, etc…) (just as an example. Not saying you live anywhere near Cleveland, but you probably have an idea how big it is for reference…)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
I was going to go on to try and put the final nail in MasonWatch.com but you just did it for those that can add.
Well, the fact that he was only a Master Mason for a month, and that all the books he published about magic were written years before he even joined the Masons… Yeah.

I hate to bring this up; but did you know that that 'Become A Mason' thread we were on a couple of weeks ago has been removed? Try the search function. It is on Page 2.
Sure enough. Doesn't surprise me too much. It had been moved to General Chit-Chat pretty quickly, and SO really doesn't want Masonic recruiting here
edit on 2011.8.10 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

OK. Levi was a Narcissist.

Get ready to bust a gut...

Caubet recalls that during his reception (as a new Freemason) Levi made the following declaration:

"I come to bring back into your midst lost traditions and the exact knowledge of your signs and emblems, and consequently to show you the purpose for which your association was formed"

He subsequently made efforts to convince his fellow Masons that the symbolism of masonry was derived from Cabala.

They were evidently not persuaded by his theories.

Eliphas Lévi and the French Occult Revival By Christopher McIntosh

This is precisely what I imagined might have happened. Off in a huff to do whatever; collect eye of newt or something.

Sure enough. Doesn't surprise me too much. It had been moved to General Chit-Chat pretty quickly, and SO really doesn't want Masonic recruiting here

Gotcha.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
It had been moved to General Chit-Chat pretty quickly, and SO really doesn't want Masonic recruiting here.

Why, everyone thinks he is a Mason anyway.....

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I live in Ohio.
I'm sorry. I mean, cool.

Grand Lodge of Ohio currently has 508 lodges in the state, according to a recent newsletter.

Only 4 within the Cleveland city limits, which surprises me. There might be some smaller adjoining cities I'm not familiar with that handle some of the suburbs, perhaps? (2 in Lakewood, 4 in Lyndhurst, 1 in Parma, etc…) (just as an example. Not saying you live anywhere near Cleveland, but you probably have an idea how big it is for reference…)

that's the area I grew up in. In fact, Parma and Parma hts., border my city. That puts the general feelilng into perspective. Big Catholic area. Nice big churches, they got a good pool of 10%ers to pick from.
(Part of my contention)

I am just glad I was led where I ended up. All things considered.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

It had been moved to General Chit-Chat pretty quickly, and SO really doesn't want Masonic recruiting here.

Why, everyone thinks he is a Mason anyway.....
I've lost count, but I think the number of mods/supermods/etc… on ATS who are Masons has reached the double digits. I think there are at least 12 by now, though some may have been dropped from mod status for lack of activity. *shrug*

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Yeah, Dry-Town USA. Do you want to reconsider?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This is entirely off topic but I can't help it.

Can you imagine a Looney Tunes type cartoon featuring all of these guys running around sans historical accuracy?...

Wynn Westcott would be a perfect Elmer Fudd...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I've lost count, but I think the number of mods/supermods/etc… on ATS who are Masons has reached the double digits. I think there are at least 12 by now, though some may have been dropped from mod status for lack of activity. *shrug*

I believe you are correct. I have spoken with all of them via private message at one point or another and they said I can swear at any of you any time I want.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
Wynn Westcott would be a perfect Elmer Fudd...
Nah, he strikes me more as a Yosemite Sam…

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Pike reminds me of Foghorn Leghorn...

2 more posts and we hit 333.

Someone is going to pull the # of Choronzon

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, Dry-Town USA. Do you want to reconsider?

Just in Lodge my Yankee friend. I make a tasty porter, and have a nut brown about ready to steep. I retained a bit of my northern roots. I am not sure if it's good or bad, but all my neighbors are light beer drinkers, so they miss out on the home brew festivities. *shrug* more for me I guess.

I fully intend to personally investigate this claim of a keg flowing inside a masonic lodge. And I will report to the Grand Pubah himself, Lucifer with any and all intel. I will not be treated as a vile and imputes wretch.

Yea, 3rd coming up.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

but all my neighbors are light beer drinkers, so they miss out on the home brew festivities. *shrug* more for me I guess.

Florida is even worse! You can't order a beer in a bar that isn't light. Try getting a Michelob or a regular MGD somewhere, and it is impossible. The stores don't even carry that stuff in more than a 6 pack, but you can get a 20 or 24 pack of everything light!

I only homebrew wine. I've never tried beer. I've heard it is a little more difficult.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I am not sure if it's good or bad, but all my neighbors are light beer drinkers...

Did you really just contemplate whether drinking light beer is bad? Really? You have been down there far too long.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
We are on a message board as well. Just because someone says they are a Mason does not mean they are.

Perhaps. But who'd claim to be a Mason and expose himself a target for the poo-flinging that comes with it if he weren't a Mason? Have to be a pretty perverse and specific kind of masochist if you ask me.

Fitz

Or just one of the millions of internet users who claim to be something they are not.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I've heard it is a little more difficult.

Na, the only difference in at the beginning. It's like making a stew but you add ingredients at different times, and you have to be precise on your timing. Then you have to cool it down quick, but there are tricks for that. Then it's off to let the yeast have it's way with the sugar. Just like wine. Bottling is a bit of a pain, but knowing what the end result will be, makes it very worth while, plus you have to sample a but while you do that. It's flat then, but just as tasty as it will be. If you are interested, hit me up.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I try not to pretend I know more than I know(except in game design I am an expert in how a video game should be made).That's a childish waste of energy.

I am currently programming( trying )a video game from 1972 pong.
So are you using true vector-based motion for the ball, or just keeping separate deltaX and deltaY variables and flipping the sign of one on bounce? Any coefficient of friction on the paddles that would change the momentum of the ball based on the velocity of the paddle at time of collision? What collision detection algorithm are you using? Is the angle of the bounce off of the paddle changed at all by where on the surface of the paddle the ball strikes? (also thinking edges and corners here…)

Please, share with us your expertise since we've been kind enough to share ours.

Being a good programmer does not mean you will be a good game designer. If that were the case then Microsoft,IBM,Oracle would have a "tripoly".

Good game design is accessibility and the illusion of challenge. Take SSBM(nintendo) easy to play game sold 10million copies over a harder to play (and superior fighting game) Tekken 4(sega), Street Fighter 3(capcom),Street Fighter 2 WW(capcom) (sega genesis).

Super Mario Bros sold the most of all time and its dumb easy to play. Anyone can play that game. It only really used 2 f---in buttons. Look at atari 2600. Stick and 2 buttons.

The big boys Nintendo,Capcom, Sega and EA (yearly recycled madden) know this. Thats why they recycle the same ideas for 20-25 years.Is Zelda(nes gold cartridge)any different from the zeldas now? Same with mario and sonic. Easy to play == sells big.

Hollywood is the same way with all its recycled ripped off ideas.
edit on 11-8-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Being a good programmer does not mean you will be a good game designer. If that were the case then Microsoft,IBM,Oracle would have a "tripoly".
Ah, but almost every question I asked actually WAS a game design question. There are dozens of ways to implement any of those in programming, but the designer must know, before a single line of code is written, what the expected action/reaction of the play should be. The programmer doesn't say, "I want the ball to speed up when it bounces off a wall." The designer tells the programmer that that's what's supposed to happen, and the programmer figures out the best way to make that happen.

Get it?

For instance, ANY designer creating a ball & paddle game like Pong today would need to be familiar with a large number of ball & paddle games that came before it. Pong, sure. But Breakout/Brickout, Arkanoid, Shufflepuck Cafe and others as well. Each brought new elements, but ultimately started from the same user action... I've got to hit his ball with this paddle.
edit on 2011.8.11 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Look at atari 2600. Stick and 2 buttons.
Two buttons? Luxury. The 2600 had one button.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join