It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Police Infiltrating Protest Groups Ahead of Republican Convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
In what may be a legal although quetionable tactic the NYPD has infiltrated several unidentified groups planning protests during the upcoming Republican National Convention. The effort is directed towards gathering intelligence on plans for disruptive or illegal actions by protest groups.

www.nynewsday.com
The Police Department has been watching protest groups that have used unlawful tactics in the past in hopes of controlling disruptive activities at the Republican National Convention, police sources say.

Officers masquerading as corporate-bashing Bush haters have been attending rallies and meetings to learn the groups' tactics and plans for the upcoming convention, which begins Aug. 30, the sources say.

"Our guys got in there without them knowing it," one source said. "It helps us keep track of what they're doing."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This type of action is reminding me of "Nixonian" actions of the late sixties and early seventies. Civil liberties may get stretched to the breaking point by the Bloomberg administration during this event.

[edit on 17-8-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well all I can say is that I hope they are infiltrating the right groups and not behaving as if everyone is a suspect. The Republicans have more to worry about in Cyberspace than in reelspace IMO.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Frankly, in these times, I don't have a problem with this. Any group that is simply exercising its constitutional rights of free speech has nothing to fear from police. The fact is that there are many groups whose agenda is far more pernicious. These will be the only ones who should even care.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Well all I can say is that I hope they are infiltrating the right groups and not behaving as if everyone is a suspect. The Republicans have more to worry about in Cyberspace than in reelspace IMO.

I don't think this is a partisan issue. This probably happened in Boston, as well. Legitimate groups will only produce a very bored agent.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well I hope you're right but I didn't hear anything like this when the DNC was on. The Cyberthreats are very partisan btw, and the RNC should take more steps to protect its sites. Allthough I really don't know what they could do against the attacks since some of the best hackers in the world are the opposition.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I posted a story (which didn't get picked up for ATSNN (at least, I don't think it did)) about how the FBI and other federal law enforcement agencies have been hauling "dissidents" in for legal action and questioning.

www.twincities.com...

This has been all over several newspapers (and conveniently ignored by the conservative press) as well as some radio stations like NPR. Republicans, they're trying to tell you what to think.

And yes, this does have echoes of the Orwellian tactics of Nixon.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Its because most of the time these groups turn semi-violent....it happened last year in New York (just didnt get much news coverage)...and around the same time it happened in Seattle...In our (NY) papers a representative from one of these groups claimed that there will be objects thrown...small explosives set off...and "fake" cocktails...

new topics

top topics

join