It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuban Food Fun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Quick Cuban Sandwich

Ingredients

4 Cuban bread rolls, Hoagie rolls, or French loves.
Yellow mustard. You can use brown mustard, or Chinese if you want but I like just the regular.
1/4 pound baked ham, thinly sliced.
1/4 pound roast pork, thinly sliced.
1/4 pound provolone cheese or Swiss cheese, sliced not too thick.
10 thin dill pickle slices, approximately 2 whole pickles. Vlasic, fresh deli, or homemade.
Unsalted butter, room temperature.

Slice the bread horizontally in half, leaving 1 edge intact. Lay the bread open and spread each side with the mustard. Divide the ingredients evenly among the slices of roll. Start with the ham followed by the pork, cheese, and dill pickles. Do not over stack. Fold the tops and bottoms together.

Heat your panini press or sandwich maker. Butter each side of the press. Place the sandwiches inside, press down and grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is flat and browned, approximately 10 minutes. If you don't have a panini press get 1 cast iron frying pan 12" size, and 1 cast iron frying pan 10" size, you will nest these, put in a 500 degrees F oven for 1 hour and then press the sandwich between them for 10 minutes. Put a couple preheated bricks in the top ones for weight.

Paella Cubana

Ingredients

1/2 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for sauteing seafood.
1 cup diced ham, do not use a sweet ham, no maple cured.
1 cup chorizo sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces.
1 large onion, diced.
1 red bell pepper, diced.
5 garlic cloves, minced.
1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into 6 to 8 pieces. I use a combination of pre-boned breast and and thigh.
3 cups Valencia rice.
4 cups chicken broth.
1/2 cup red wine.
1 can mussels.
2 teaspoons salt.
Bijol powder, a dash. You can get this a Cuban or Spanish market, sometimes at a fancy grocery section.
1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined.
1/2 pound scallops.
5 lobster tail meat, reserve shells for garnish.
1 cup frozen green peas.
1/4 cup minced parsley leaves.
1 red bell pepper, sliced for garnish.
1 cup steamed mussels in their shells, for garnish.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat olive oil in a large pan. Saute the ham and chorizo sausage. Remove from pan and reserve

Add onions, red pepper, and garlic to pan and saute until wilted but not overcooked.

Add chicken pieces and saute for about 15 minutes until brown, but not fully cooked. Remove and reserve. In a large pot combine the rice, broth, wine, and mussels. Add salt for flavor and Bijol for color.

Stir. Turn up heat, bring to boil and cover. Add chicken, ham and chorizo. Cover and simmer on the stove for 20 to 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked and fluffy. You may have to add a little more chicken broth if the mixture gets too dry.

Saute shrimp, clams, and lobster tails separately in the oil. Remove and keep covered and warm, this will keep it from drying out.

At the last minute, fold the seafood into the rice mixture. Transfer to a flat paella pan suitable for serving. Top with peas and red peppers. Place in oven for about 5 minutes to heat through. Take care not to overcook! Serve garnished with mussels, parsley and lobster shell

I haven't messed with experimenting with this one as it perfect the way it is. Just be careful on heat and times, it's easy to get this too dry.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Sounds YUMMY! But I do have a question.....

Being that you posted this on ATS, how do we know that you're not Elian Gonzalez, or some other agent of Fidel Castro, just trying to poision all of us capitalist pigs?!!!

Please provide pics of this dish or it never happened.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Damn I didn't think anyone would catch me this quick.

BDA

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Paella ??

Just the ingrediants are makeing me hungry !!!

Ilove good food and love to cook..got to try this

new topics

top topics

join