It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK'S proper name

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I am sick of people calling the UK england WHICH IT ISNT!
FRANKLY IM SICK OF IT!!!!!
ITS LIKE ME CALLING AN AMERICAN A CANADIAN!
it REALLY annoys me. i wish peple would notice the other countries in this united kingdom.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I can't say more other than...agreed.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
ITS LIKE ME CALLING AN AMERICAN A CANADIAN!

And vice versa, btw.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
has anyone noticed in American TV shows that 'British People' only come from London

And if an American visits Britain in TV show they go to London

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
www.cia.gov...

For the purpose of general education.

Americans and t.v. usually use London/England as a generality because that's the most basic thing that all people will know and recognize. That's the "British accent" we all readily accept. I think Americans are not terribly familiar with a lot of geography and other countries are not heavily taught at all. Even the Nazis and other foreigners in the old movies have "English accents". *L*

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by torque
I think Americans are not terribly familiar with a lot of geography and other countries are not heavily taught at all.

What do you mean "other countries"? There's others?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Yup. I seen 'em on the globe. Some of 'em are big ol' places and some of 'em are just eeny little 'uns. Seems there's lotsa folks in 'em. Leastaways I hear tell!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
We get that here in Aus as well... it seems that England now includes Scotland, Wales, and nth Ireland too... But Try getting an american to differentiate from an New Zealander and an Aussie... # i bet they dont even know what New Zealand Is

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I mean if I was a bad guy I would just use the word "crumpets" , hows that English?

*Disclaimer: Im kidding*

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It's not any better in the media, when an athlete does well and they come from England, they are English, if they come from Scotland, N.Ireland or Wales they are British.

In fact a lot of Londoners believe that England only goes as far as the M25 (ring road encircling London). Where as, it actually goes as far north as John O'Groats......

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It's like Virginia and West Virginia, isn't it? New Zealand is right next to Old Zealand.

*blink*
*blink*

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Wait I forgot to ask this in my earlier post.

Yes I am an American citizen but I was born in Belfast N.Ireland and half of my ancestry is from Belfast. I am a dual citizen, as I am a subject of the queen.

But what do I describe myself as? Irish? British?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
Wait I forgot to ask this in my earlier post.

Yes I am an American citizen but I was born in Belfast N.Ireland and half of my ancestry is from Belfast. I am a dual citizen, as I am a subject of the queen.

But what do I describe myself as? Irish? British?

northern irish really.
but only british if u want to be part of it.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I dont have a problem with being a subject of the queen, and the idea of a unified Ireland doesnt stir anything in me. But for the sake of my uninformed American countrymen I dont tax their brains and I just say Im Irish.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well i'm half scottish... note scottish not british... i think its good to differentiate between the different countries within the Kingdom (or Queendom as it is currently), but i hate the kingdom being called england...!!!...!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Well try and find a Scot or Welshman who considers himself British, they're always Scottish or Welsh, although a protestant Northern Irish person will accept the title. British and English are pretty interchangeable and seem to only apply to English people in practice. The name itself comes from Prettanii, a roman derivation of one of the celtic tribes in the islands. The locals themselves called the country Alba which survives as Albion another old name for Britain. English and England derive from one of the invading germanic tribes the Angles who styled themselves Anglisc or Englisc, eventually all the other germanic tribes of Saxon, Jutes frisians etc came to adopt the same title and the land became known as Englonde.

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by ubermunche]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Not forgetting the Worlds most famous Scotsman...Sean Connery (Who lives in Spain)And he's stopped whinging about getting a Knighthood now(From the Queen of England)...And also that World famous Welshman...Anthony Hopkins...oops I forgot he's now an American citizen....Ah well you can't win em all.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I know scotland isn't the uk....

I thought the uk was united kingdom but really just britian.....
Is it england or britian now?? There are three titles.... confusing.
england, uk, britian.... It's hard to keep up.... I just look at it as same # different pile... To be honest, I haven't really made the effort to educate myself on England, I guess I just don't give enough of a #... Your pound currency pisses me off and I think i've cut off all other ties of information to my brain when it comes to england... plus, my grandpa was from there, and he was a s.o.b....
England has had many evil barbaric people run the country, namely queen elizabeth the 1st, edward one and two, king henry ect, it just has a bad rap.

I do know that england has a queen, red phone booths, double decker buses that are going to be replaced soon because they aren't safe. I know that it's expensive there in london, I know it's over crowded there and congested, I know that tony blair is a sell out and a liar and makes his country look bad, I know that london bridge once had dead people's head stuck on it, i know that england has some good recipes, your humor is kind of dry, some people here don't get it, you drive on the right side instead of the left, and your liscence plates are really long.
However, I like your accent, it's pretty, I remember back in the 80s people here (music bands) used to try and sound like you guys...

I'm sorry if i've offended anybody i'm just being honest... no hard feelings...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I know scotland isn't the uk....

Actually Scotland is in the UK, and also in Britain, so Scottish people are British, as are Welsh people, and of course English people.

British and English are only interchangeable if you are describing the nationality of an English person, who is obviously both (like Californian and American). England does make up about 85% of the UK though, so most Britons you come across are English.

In sports, Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland are individual nations in football, and in European sporting events of most kinds, but are all counted together as Great Britain in athletics, such as the Olympics.

The only confusing aspect is the fact that Northern Ireland, although it's people are British, is not actually IN Britain, since Britain is only the mainland, i.e England, Scotland and Wales. That's down to the some of the locals not wanting to join the rest of the Ireland when it became independent, so we were sort of stuck with it.

A more technically correct alternative would for all of us to be defined as UKish, but that sounds stupid!

confused? don't worry, I guess it's understandable.

edit : btw. the UK's proper name is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".. to answer the original post!

[Edited on 23/8/04 by muppet]

[Edited on 23/8/04 by muppet]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Didn't scotland people not want to be part of England? I know it was back in the day, but don't they consider themselves independant from it?

I know it's part of the UK, but it's not part of britian correct or no?

Northern Ireland doesn't want to be party of england but the south has adapted the euro and is?
Wales is party of england....

so england is a separate entity and the UK, is just the mainland, and southern ireland well you got stuck with it?

This is confusing, holy moly...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join