It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn them coons...What do I do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Racoons.................that is............If you are looking for a racially motivated thread this is not for you...Move along so maybe I can get some helpful information about my problem.

Ok...I just did get done cleaning up my trash...again

I have a serious issue with raccons tipping my cans over and rummaging through it. They leave a horrible mess and scatter the crap all over the yard.......I have tried tightening the lid down and set them so it is hard to knock them over.....

I have had enough and I want this problem to be solved. I am about to go invest in something.....But what? I do not wish to spend too much, but if it calls for it, I will.

I am in town so no guns people..

I should have taken a few pics to post before I cleaned it up....

Help me please.....Damn varments..

I do wish to be humane about the situation...

Any suggestions are appreciated.
edit on 8-8-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Have you asked the Coon and Friends?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
crossbows work well.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
Racoons.................that is............If you are looking for a racially motivated thread this is not for you...Move along so maybe I can get some helpful information about my problem.

Ok...I just did get done cleaning up my trash...again

I have a serious issue with raccons tipping my cans over and rummaging through it. They leave a horrible mess and scatter the crap all over the yard.......I have tried tightening the lid down and set them so it is hard to knock them over.....

I have had enough and I want this problem to be solved. I am about to go invest in something.....But what? I do not wish to spend too much, but if it calls for it, I will.

I am in town so no guns people..

I should have taken a few pics to post before I cleaned it up....

Help me please.....Damn varments..

I do wish to be humane about the situation...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

So you've installed a lock on your can? get a dog.

Or, you could get a live trap, catch them and relocate them.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

It's just a thought but Hulu carries the series sets for Billy the Exterminator. It seems like every few episodes is dealing with racoons and if you haven't seen the show, its a reality about exterminating. You see everything he does to catch them..so in a round about way, it would be like a guide in your case.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Thank you for the laugh

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er
crossbows work well.

I live in town.

I think that the neighbors would be a little upset if I tried that.

ETA: I have got to make an ice cream run..Be back in a few.
edit on 8-8-2011 by liejunkie01 because: ETA

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Try This

www.amazon.com... ZI

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Stop throwing out perfectly good watermelons.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I would recommend a Chef Boyardee can. Seems to work great...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
You can buy simulated or even real fox urine to spray on their trails to your yard.

Rat urine works as well.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ammonia. Works everytime.

Put in the can...put on the lid... Your done.

Any ex wives you can't get rid of? Don't use ammonia. They come back as mad as ever.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

hi op ...I had a coon for a pet for 2 years ...got him as a young fella hit by a car and he might not have made it threw his first winter ...brrrr ok so take your garbage containers and suspend them with rope from something with height ....3 feet above ground should do it ...they are not stupid and have hands like humans you know ....peace

edit on 8-8-2011 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I take it you have no choice but to keep the cans outside. I had this problem develop so that I could not leave my cans out overnifght for early morning pickup, so I began to put only non-smelly paper, plastic, etc. into one can and smelly stuff in the other, leaving the smelly one until the next morning. It could be coyotes in my case. I've never caught them in the act. I also used multiple bungee cords on the lids. Lots of cans are pretty sloppy with the ability to actually put the lid on tight--especially the cheapie plastic ones. But the bungee cords have stopped the problem. You may have to drill a small hole on one side of the can to allow one prong of the bungee cord to grip. Also, if any of your neighbors leaves cat food outside, they could be part of the problem.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

I was going to suggest that too - worked for me. I actually put it in a (well labeled) spray bottle and sprayed it around the outside of the can.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

that is the cure right there ....peace

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Works for Bears too. Ammonia and Red Pepper REALLY works well. After the first dose,you only need to sprinkle the pepper on top of the cans.

They learn.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Mustard powder, buy a jar of this potent stuff and tomorrow night dump the whole lot in and around the bin, its nasty stuff but at least its humaine. Should make the little bilghters think twice about digging in your bin if they cant stop sneezing and wheezing.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Here's an eHow article with suggestions on how to keep raccoons out of your garbage.
edit on 8-8-2011 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I think I will try the urine and ammonia bit, with the powder. Along with the bungee cords, although I hope that this will not tick the trash man off......

Thank you all.

Stars for everybody. Even watermelon guy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join