Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Crispy outside mustard... of course... genuis!!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
My boy's favorite grilled cheese, fresh bread one of the full bodied types, then shredded cheese we like Colby, medium sharp Cheddar, and Monterrey Jack how much is your discretion of course, then add cooked bacon, I usually chop it up first. Softened butter and then into the pan toast on both sides. Enjoy and make another. The shredded cheese melts better and blends great.

Guess I know whats for supper now.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GonzoSinister

Tha'ts just what it does too...Gets a little crispy, and tangy...Even just regular Yellow mustard.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
onions and mushrooms grilled with garlic with swiss on dark rye

that's one of the favorites at our house

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I'm going to have to try the grilled mustard style. That sounds amazing.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Simple but scrumptious.
It might sound strange but give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
Under the grill, one slice of buttered (real butter) bread topped with
2 or 3 thin slices of cheddar cheese. Grill until a crust forms on the cheese.
Remove from the grill and spread a generous amount of real strawberry jam
(jelly in the US), cold from the fridge, on top of the still hot cheese.
Enjoy with a nice cup of hot tea. Mmmm.
I call it a cheeseberry slice.

Please sir, can i have some more?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I love Apricot fruit cheese spread on an english muffin and the toasted under the grill.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Since we are slightly straying off topic.. do you get soda scones anywhere else than scotland...

its just like soda bread but cut into more managable one man triangels.. anyway.. half it

toast the outside butter the inside and then grill cheese on it... oh my god!!

On the Grilled cheese sandwich bit....mexicana cheese, roast chicken breat and a little bit of slasa of a mexican themed sandwich

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Man sounds amazing

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Personally, I've never understood why people butter the bread before hand when that's a step you can totally skip.

I'm a person of variety, maximum flavor, creativity, yet simplicity. That's how I cook everything. The grilled cheese can be the perfect late night snack, or even a meal if you really want to pile on the goodies.

The Basic:

I like to take regular slice bread, usually Colonial Old Fashioned or Sara Lee's thick slice (can't remember the phrase). Then I'll place two to three thick slices of cheese on the bread. I'll place a skillet, regular or non stick, doesn't matter. I mostly use my All Clad skillet for this. I'll place it on the burner on med heat for about two to three minutes to let it preheat. Then I'll take the whole stick of butter and rub it in the pan like your buttering a casserole dish. Or think of a glue stick. Once the butter has coated the bottom of the pan and bubbling I'll place the sandwich in there. Usually about 2 minutes per side. The sandwich comes out golden brown every time.

Now I don't mean USE the WHOLE stick of butter, lol. Just rub it back and forth in the bottom of the pan until enough butter coats the bottom. This is just a simple trick that saves time and having to clean a knife from cutting off a bit of butter.

If for some reason the bread is browning faster than the cheese is melting, or if I just want to speed things up, I'll take another skillet and cover the sandwich with the skillet upside down. This way all the heat is trapped and focused on the sandwich itself making the cheese melt faster and become gooey.

Sometimes for variety i'll use wheat bread. One of my favorite cheeses to use is Havarti. To me, it's 10 times better than cheddar or any yellow cheese. You can find any number of brands of Havarti cheese in the cheese section along with the other slice cheese.

A tomato on the sandwich adds a lot of flavor as well. Just be sure to use fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt or sea salt. This is important for flavor. You should be using only sea salt or kosher salt anyway. If your not, start, all your cooking will improve 25%. I'm serious. Throw out any idoized salt you have or any salt shakers you have. You want need them anymore.

I've seen some folks use a good dijon mustard on theirs. If you don't like butter, you could always put some olive oil in a spray bottle and spritz the outside edges of the bread and use that.

Now, also remember if your ever tired of regular ol' bread and cheese grilled cheeses, you can always cook a mexican grilled cheese, a quesdilla. Lay out a tortilla, sprinkle it with your favorite shredded cheese, place another tortilla on top (think Taco Bell Mexican Pizza). Then heat the skillet with butter in it, cook for a minute or two per side. It cooks a lot quicker than a regular grilled cheese. Gets nice a crispy, good to just pull apart and eat with your fingers. The cheese will string for a mile. I like using a mixture of cheese for this, especially mexican cheeses. Right now Kraft has a new four blend mexican cheese that's all white cheese. Very good stuff.

Always remember, keep cooking simple and accustomed to your liking even if the recipe calls for something esle. Follow the basic cooking principles and techniques, but add and adjust according to YOUR taste. You don't have to follow a recipe to the T. I tell this to people all the time. I've been cooking for 20 years. The main thing I learned was don't be afraid of the kitchen or any recipes. If you are, they will get the best of you. You dominate them, be their master, not their slave. It's your food, your cooking for you, not the cookbook. Cook how you want, just obey the basic principles of cooking. Always remember this: Food + Heat = Cooking.

Now, that might sound like a simple little catch phrase to you, but it's much more than that. Keep thinking about it everytime you cook and one day it will come to you and you will understand what that means. When it does, you will master the kitchen and anything you set out to cook. Oh and you'll thank me
edit on 9-8-2011 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)
edit on 9-8-2011 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Poor man trick, if your out of butter, use mayo instead.

I just throw thin sliced meat in it. Me and the man follow the kids around like "so, uhm, you gonna finish that?" Lmao!

I have expanded my grilled cheese knowledge today!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I had to post a reply to this. Awesome idea try havarti cheese, Or go the sharp route yeah.

Want an awesome burger try this
Texas toast garlic bread cooked in the oven use as top and bottom of burger
sharp cheddar cheese sliced normal
avocado
lettuce
tomato
bacon
A1 sauce
10 percent fat beef add in jalapenos or onions cropped real thin when forming the patties
saute mushrooms in butter and garlic
the trick is layering the burger so all the flavor doesn't run into each other

here's how
texas toast top cooked in oven just a little bit crispy
A1 on the bottom of the top slice ps a little bit goes along way
lettuce -1 leaf but fresh maybe 2
tomato-very thin slices
bacon 2 slices needs to be crisp
avocado- not guacamole!
cheese- cook on top of burger
burger patty
sauteed mushroom bottom
cut in half adding long tooth picks to both sides
serve with cold beer and fries

Women you should me taking notes

edit on 9-8-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Another nifty little trick you can do to impress people is this:

Make a grilled cheese however you like it, but don't cook it yet, just prepare everything. Oh, and you might want to pre butter the bread this time or spritz it with olive oil.

Before you prepare it though, place two skillets on medium heat. After about 4 to five minutes, cut the burners off and remove from heat. Place the sandwich in the bottom of one skillet, then place the other hot skillet on top of the bread. Just place the bottom of the skillet on top. Trust me, it will be fine.

Congratulations, you just improvised and made a homemade panini press. Let that sit there for a few minutes, and voila. Simple, cool, and flashy.

But if you read my other post, this little trick pertains to the saying Food + Heat = cooking. This kind of thing is one of the things you'll figure out you can do. NEVER buy fancy kitchen steamers, gadgets or stuff like that. Only get the basics. A good rule of thumb is, if it doesn't serve more than one purpose, it doesn't belong in your kitchen. I live by this literally.

For instance, a chefs knife, its the only knife you will ever need. But not only does it cut, you can do many things with it. Lay it flat on garlic and crack the garlic with the palm of your hand, then the peeling comes right off. That's just an example of how something has more than one function. All of your basic kitchen gear will have more than one function. Most of that crap they sell on tv late at night doesn't. Like juicers, or panini makers, or crock pots, or funny do-dad spatula's, or that routeissere thing that's always on. You never need that kind of crap.

Crock pots I can make an exception for. Even though I still don't need one. Most people don't understand that most crock pot recipes can be accomplished easily without one. You've had a crack pot this whole time, all your life. The OVEN and a large pot, lol. Once again, Food + Heat = Cooking. It does the same thing. Add liquid to make meat tender, cook on 250 degrees in the oven, and BAM crock pot recipe.

What does this have to do with grilled cheese? Nothing, but I just wanted to add this so people would see that ALL cooking is related and is far more simple than some think. I was just proving a point like with the homemade panini maker other things can be done like that to without shelling out extra bucks for "special" gagdets that only serve one sole purpose. Those you don't need. Next time your in your kitchen check out your basic kitchen equipment and find two uses for every cooking utensil. Trust me, you will. Get creative. And when you do, you'll be like, "hey, I never thought of that".

Okay, strainers? Good for pasta and draining greasy hamburger meat right? Well, they can also be set up over a large pot with a little bit of simmering water. Throw broccoli or whatever veggie in there, put a lid on the strainer and you now have a steamer. What was you going to pay, or how much did you pay for that fancy steamer at William Sonoma or Bed, Bath, and Beyond that only does one thing? Your strainer strains, and steams. See what I mean, Food + Heat= Cooking.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Mmmm grilled cheese!

I have it different every time I make it BUT this is the way I prefer it.

Rye bread of course and I butter both sides of the bread. I then add a slice of extra sharp cheddar. I slice it to about the same size as a slice of cheese you buy in a package. I then add a slice of Gouda followed by another slice of of the sharp cheddar. I add tomato, bacon and pickles in the middle of the cheese. The bacon is already cooked though
This is sooo good!

I think I might make one today lol

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Cheddar and Jalapeños with some hot sauce on the side.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Try Canadian cheddar and also ham! Ham and cheese goes so well together, trust me on this one it makes a grilled cheese or as we brits call it 'cheese on toast' so much better!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DieBravely

LOL i can tell diebravely is from Cali cause we mexicanize everything having to do with food.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I'm going to have to condemn most of you for adding things like meat to your grilled cheese. That is NOT grilled cheese. That is simply a grilled sandwich.

I'm a purist.

Texas toast, generous amounts of butter (or margarine) on the outside.

Lay the first piece down. Pile on strong cheese. American is weak. Go for extremely sharp white cheddar.

Lay on the second piece of bread.

Allow the bottom to crisp. Flip and then mash that sucker down. Flatter is better.

Pull it off and cut corner to corner (never down the middle).

Done!

link   

Originally posted by J.Son79
Another nifty little trick you can do to impress people is this:

Before you prepare it though, place two skillets on medium heat. After about 4 to five minutes, cut the burners off and remove from heat. Place the sandwich in the bottom of one skillet, then place the other hot skillet on top of the bread. Just place the bottom of the skillet on top. Trust me, it will be fine.

That sounds good! I had another member tell me a way to reheat pizza, in a cast iron skillet on the oven and it was so good! I will have to make my grilled cheese like this!

Congratulations, you just improvised and made a homemade panini press. Let that sit there for a few minutes, and voila. Simple, cool, and flashy.

Haha awesome!

But if you read my other post, this little trick pertains to the saying Food + Heat = cooking. This kind of thing is one of the things you'll figure out you can do. NEVER buy fancy kitchen steamers, gadgets or stuff like that. Only get the basics. A good rule of thumb is, if it doesn't serve more than one purpose, it doesn't belong in your kitchen. I live by this literally.

but I like kitchen gadgets
It drove my ex nuts lol Funny thing is though I buy them at thrift stores so I pay nothing for them really, a few bucks here and that is it. I would love a panini press but those are expensive and I havent seen one in a thrift store yet. I will have to try this method and I have two pans that will go perfect for this!

The one thing I don't mind spending money on though is a good knife set! Those I always buy new because I never find good ones for less lol people keep those! I also like nice pots and pans but those I find easily at thrift stores for a couple bucks or sets for 10 bucks.

I just found a 350 dollar kitchenaid desk top mixer for 20 bucks! It works and has all attachments! I make a lot of bread and will be doing so for the holidays and having one of these will save my arms when it comes to kneading bread

For instance, a chefs knife, its the only knife you will ever need. But not only does it cut, you can do many things with it. Lay it flat on garlic and crack the garlic with the palm of your hand, then the peeling comes right off. That's just an example of how something has more than one function. All of your basic kitchen gear will have more than one function. Most of that crap they sell on tv late at night doesn't. Like juicers, or panini makers, or crock pots, or funny do-dad spatula's, or that routeissere thing that's always on. You never need that kind of crap.

I disagree slightly. I use a lot of as seen on tv items and I use them for more than one purpose. Most people don't realize all the things you can do with most of that stuff. I have used my garlic press for so many little things most wouldnt even think of using it for. Everyone thinks those are a waste but not me!

Crock pots I can make an exception for. Even though I still don't need one. Most people don't understand that most crock pot recipes can be accomplished easily without one. You've had a crack pot this whole time, all your life. The OVEN and a large pot, lol. Once again, Food + Heat = Cooking. It does the same thing. Add liquid to make meat tender, cook on 250 degrees in the oven, and BAM crock pot recipe.

LOL! Also I LOVE my crock pot! You have no idea what you can make in that thing. I agree some things can be made in the oven but what happens when your oven goes?
Meat loaf is AMAZING in a crock pot. I had to do this once when the oven wouldn't work, the heating element went. So I had this 2 lb meat loaf ready to cook and no oven! I had my crock pot though
It took about 6hrs but it was delicious and it kept the moisture. I even used the fatty top part to make a gravy with ketchup! Spinach artichoke dip in a crock pot for four hours is the BEST way to make it
I have used my oven as a type of crock pot many times
I however don't feel comfortable with my oven on all day. I can turn my crock pot on low and go to the store if need be and not worry where i would with the oven.

What does this have to do with grilled cheese? Nothing, but I just wanted to add this so people would see that ALL cooking is related and is far more simple than some think. I was just proving a point like with the homemade panini maker other things can be done like that to without shelling out extra bucks for "special" gagdets that only serve one sole purpose. Those you don't need. Next time your in your kitchen check out your basic kitchen equipment and find two uses for every cooking utensil. Trust me, you will. Get creative. And when you do, you'll be like, "hey, I never thought of that".

LOL my friends have laughed at some of my substitutions for things I didnt have but it worked just the same. I do like the kitchen gadgets like I said but I get them cheap so I don't spend really anything on them.

Okay, strainers? Good for pasta and draining greasy hamburger meat right? Well, they can also be set up over a large pot with a little bit of simmering water. Throw broccoli or whatever veggie in there, put a lid on the strainer and you now have a steamer. What was you going to pay, or how much did you pay for that fancy steamer at William Sonoma or Bed, Bath, and Beyond that only does one thing? Your strainer strains, and steams. See what I mean, Food + Heat= Cooking.

I got mine for 20 bucks the other day to make Afghan Beef Ravioli I liked how it came in double decker form and it didn't cost much. I use to use my steamer all the time. I have done the other method but it makes it hard when you want to do more than one dish and you dont have enough pots
I made two different meals last night for my roommate. One was in the steamer and the other on the stove. I made tacos/fajitas and the other was steamed chicken with a bruschetta dressing and asparagus.

I know what you are saying though and I agree somewhat but the gadgets are a lot of fun and have multiple uses if you think about it.

link   
You guys have really posted some good Stuff....all these options options floating through my head.

I was thinking about adding meat to the sandwich and thought chicken could be really good. BBQ chicken breast with a light coat of bbq sauce. I used to do that on a nice dinner salad. I would cook the chicken and then divide it by pulling off long fairly small portions that go with the grain of the meat...giving you pencil thick 3-4 inch strips like pulled pork. Or instead of using bbq sauce on the chicken I could use a good mustard.

Then grill the sandwich with a bit of the meat on the inside with maybe cheddar, small diced hot pepper or hot pepper flake.

I love that 'tang' you get with vinegar. You know how the Brits squirt a little vinegar on their fish and chips? Wonder if that would work with this sandwich.

Maybe I'm going too far, sounds good though. Anyone know what the Brits use, red wine vinegar?

edit on 8/9/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)
edit on 8/9/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join