It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

Thank you for such a great contribution! My mouth is watering and mind rolling in excitement.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
When my girlfriend decided to make a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches in a short period of time, one of us got the idea to add sliced jalapenos, and oh boy, I have never looked back. Those jalapenos just make em perfect.

Tapatio sauce is also delicious on just about anything, seems like it would be good here too.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I love grilled cheese sandwiches! It's one of those foods that I never think of to make but am so happy when I do.

Instead of buttering then frying the bread with butter, a friends grandma taught me to use Mayo. It makes the bread extra crispy and tangy tasting. Very good!

I like to dice up onions and put them between the cheeses. I'm white trash, so to me, the best cheese to use (lol) is Velveeta. Any American cheese is good for grilled cheese sandwiches.....Yum, I'm getting hungry.

It's also really good if you mix swiss and cheddar. Someone mentioned using tomato's between the cheese, that's SO yummy! I'm a vegetarian so I'm not going to throw any meat in there but some morning star or boca fake meat might be good....then it'd be more like a cheese covered fake meat product....Eh, regardless, grilled cheese is amazing and I'm having that for dinner very soon. Thanks for the ideas!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by chanel

now you guys made me so hungry, but it is 1 over here in the morning, and no tomatoes in fridge .... damn ...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Keepin it simple here. For the last bunch of years I usually cut a few thin slices of raw onion and disperse it in with the cheese.

And, for the record, its always cheddar that I slice myself from a block; never, ever that processed stuff; at least since I passed the age of 20 about 40 years ago,

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Use REAL butter,salted...toast one side done and the other side half...when your cheese starts melting(use a mild cheddar)lay on a hard fried egg and top that with provolone and leave on the griddle only to get it all hot...THATS a proper grilled cheese

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

You're welcome!

I just keep trying stuff until I find something I like.

Another dessert one I am working on...

Thick sliced Pound cake (Entenmann's is the brand I use)
Lemon Zest butter (zest a lemon, mix it with some butter, voila)
Mascarpone cheese
Lemon curd

High heat on the griddle, butter two slices of pound cake, toss them down on the griddle, add mascarpone and lemon curd, let the bread get a nice toasting to it, finish in the oven for a few to heat the cheese and curd.

Light, yet heavy and so very satisfying with vanilla ice cream.

One of the ones I got tired of-
French bread slices
Smooth peanut butter
Bananas
Nutella
clarified unsalted butter

Butter bread on outside with clarified, and inside one slice with a SMALL amount of pb, and the other with nutella. Slice bananas on the bias and place on top of pb or nutella. Close it up and let it get all melty and goopy. Eat and then cry immediately after. This one will change your life, like your first relationship, or job.

You can even play with that one a bit, and try different breads, and/or cook the bananas in brown sugar/rum/vanilla and add them. Hell, if you decide to watch your calories, mash the bananas with rum, brown sugar and some vanilla and just eat that with some hot buttered toast.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Dang you learn fast. been making my boring old cheese sandwich (still delicious) my entire life.
Heck you could almost burn it black and it would still be good...maybe not that far.

It's funny how a person can just stick to eating and preparing the same things over and over again, many stay the same from childhood which can be good because it's what reminds you of that time but I'm all excited to try these new (to me) recommendations and discard the other. If I can remember where I keep my grilled cheese recipe card it's going in the trash.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
A few Good ones to try - A really strong Chedder and onion relish like your mind will be blown

somthing stringy like edam and pastrami

go for a multiple cheese number... like Chedder, dutch smoked, gueryer (its late and my spelling is # on a good day)

also with any standard cheese sandwich get a little bit of french mustard in there or wholegrain..

if your feeling crazy.. (and you have a toastie maker) get beans and cheese in there... but remebr it'll burn.

Also a Dessert based one... Brioche (bread) with some sliced bannana and nutella... prepare to go weak at the knees

Now on a rant based note.....

In all these cases (except beans) they all work as a toasted cheese sandwich,

really you want a toastie maker... they are so much better...

remeber a toastie has to be a sealed triangular pocket of molten cheese (plus other fillings)... except no imitations...
toasted sandwiches are good, but they are just not the same as a toastie
edit on 8-8-2011 by GonzoSinister because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister
also with any standard cheese sandwich get a little bit of french mustard in there or wholegrain..

Yeah that one has me a bit curious...using a nice mustard. I would never have thought of that.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Keepin it simple here. For the last bunch of years I usually cut a few thin slices of raw onion and disperse it in with the cheese.

And, for the record, its always cheddar that I slice myself from a block; never, ever that processed stuff; at least since I passed the age of 20 about 40 years ago,

Always Chedder man it needs to be.. like or other decent cheeses but never processed.

only justification for processed is on a hot dog from the BBQ in a roll before the dog... then american style mustard on top!!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by GonzoSinister

Yeah that one has me a bit curious...using a nice mustard. I would never have thought of that.

Man the combination of Wholegrain or French mustard with cheese is amazing like even if im making a cheese sauce for Mac or Lasagne theres always a bit of mustard goes in.

(always make your cheese sauce from scratch)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DieBravely
When my girlfriend decided to make a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches in a short period of time, one of us got the idea to add sliced jalapenos, and oh boy, I have never looked back. Those jalapenos just make em perfect.

Tapatio sauce is also delicious on just about anything, seems like it would be good here too.

Is it Green Jalapenos???
see i have went off them since i tried the sweet sweet taste of Red Jalapeno's... should give it a go

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GonzoSinister

I love the multi-cheese angle. So many different layers of flavor, all meshing together for a melty flavor festival in your mouth...

I also like to accompany savory grilled cheese sammiches with cold dill pickles. Im drooling. Stupid work, keeping me from making culinary delights.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Ok, I think one of you need to write a new receipe book

you can call it MAN-A-BONZA TOAST !

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
*dreamland*

if you could just find a way to deep fry a grilled cheese

(I'm sure there is but I could never have it, don't think I'd want to really)
edit on 8/8/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

*dreamland*

if you could just find a way to deep fry a grilled cheese

(I'm sure there is but I could never have it, don't think I'd want to really)
edit on 8/8/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

Dont need to deep fry it......

Get and eggs, some mile and pepper mix in a bowl,

Get two slices of bread.... dip in the egg mixture,

get a pan really really hot and put on slice on the pan, then all your tastey cheese and the other slice on top, then allow to fry,
after about 3/4 minutes flip (with a spatula)

cook agin for 3/4 minutes

enjoy

edit on 8-8-2011 by GonzoSinister because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Or a habanero, jalapeno mix, light on the hab.

I like heat but I guess you want balance too...maybe the hab would be too much...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Or a habanero, jalapeno mix, light on the hab.

I like heat but I guess you want balance too...maybe the hab would be too much...

Man i Love habanero's... they are my choosen Salad chilli,
i just didnt want to be suggesting to people to get there spice on... dont want to be the cause of tears or burnt tounges

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
My simple grilled cheese sammich.

Bread of choice.
2 types of favorite cheese.
thin tomato slices.
Put that inside the bread.

Trick...
When buttering the outside....Butter it, then spread mustard on it as well.
you'll be grilling the mustard on the outside.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join