It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/37769602fce8.jpg[/atsimg]

I have always just buttered the outside of the bread and in the middle put an individually wrapped slice of American cheese....then grilled.

The grilled cheese sandwich is such a simple yet delirious treat every now and again. I know it can be WAY better than the way I always prepare one. I mean there are so many spices, cheeses and breads the combinations could be endless.

Recently I learned to butter and grill both sides of each piece of bread...then the cheese...makes it extra crispy and delicious. I never really used any special bread (sourdough, garlic...etc) just a regular piece of like oatnut bread. As for the cheese I bet there a ton of good choices. Don't want to buy some fancy French cheese costing an arm and a leg but I know I could use something better than my current choice.

What's your best tips and recipes?

edit on 8/8/2011 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

have you tried just some thin slices of tomato spiced with salt and pepper on the cheese???? and a leaf of basil on the tomato makes it even nicer
, hmmmm, yummy

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Use 2 different cheeses, a regular piece (cheddar or sliced), and one of the white ones with the little jalepeno bits throughout it, and between the cheeses, place in some paper thin sliced ham, or pastrami, or corned beef, then grill

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I never even considered that, sounds awesome. I see a lot of grilled cheeses sandwiches in my future. lol

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Pecan gorgonzola spread, fig jam, grilled on sliced whole grain bread, with prosciutto for optional meat.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
the quest for the holy grilled cheese

grilledcheesejesus.com...

cooltoast.com...

nom nom nom !!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yall are way too creative, ham and jalapeno sounds good. I like heat in a lot of different dishes.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I always liked em with a tomato between the cheese.

Kind of off topic,but yall should try a peanut butter and jelly fried,do it just like a grilled cheese,butter the bread and fry it up.Jelly gets very hot so let it cool,and plenty of napkins is a plus.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
not a cheese sandwich but a college favorite in some places in the west:

bake up some waffle fries, top with shredded cheddar cheese and heat till cheese melts.
in separate bowl, pour some smoke flavored barbecue sauce and put a dollop of real mayonnaise (not miracle whip) in the middle.
now prise one of the waffle fries from the rest, and scoop some of the bbq sauce/mayo onto it.
high calories, but filling.
edit on 8-8-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

link   
i like mine done under the grill instead of a sandwich toaster maker. i like cheese with ham and brown sauce with lots of pepper and slat but ill be tryring some of these ideas in the week

link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I have always just buttered the outside of the bread and in the middle put an individually wrapped slice of American cheese....then grilled.

The grilled cheese sandwich is such a simple yet delirious treat every now and again. I know it can be WAY better than the way I always prepare one. I mean there are so many spices, cheeses and breads the combinations could be endless.

Recently I learned to butter and grill both sides of each piece of bread...then the cheese...makes it extra crispy and delicious. I never really used any special bread (sourdough, garlic...etc) just a regular piece of like oatnut bread. As for the cheese I bet there a ton of good choices. Don't want to buy some fancy French cheese costing an arm and a leg but I know I could use something better than my current choice.

What's your best tips and recipes?

Basically do what you said, but add chunks of ham and bacon to it... delicious

edit: Also multi cheese is a great idea as well
edit on 8/8/2011 by eXia7 because: cheese is gr8

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

simple yet delirious treat every now and again

..makes it extra crispy and delicious

I just noticed how close the spelling is between delirious and delicious

Yes a good grilled cheese is a mind altering experience

That's why we get so creative.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You're not serious are you? Why don't you just go buy a toasted sandwich maker?

My fav is whisked egg with a little milk then soak bread on both sides then put in frying pan of butter; cook until golden brown and add salt. Thats good french toast.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I had one on toasted ciabatta with cream cheese and grilled sauteed onions! It was just soooo delicious!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Reg wheat bread. Real Butter. Colby-monty Jack and american cheese. Sliced Ham, another meat, thinly sliced sweet onion. Mrs Dash Table blend. Fresh Basil.
Grill meat, place aside. Grill onion in butter, set aside.
Start grilling one slice of bread, quickly put on your cheese, meat, onion, Mrs Dash, Basil, other cheese, other slice of bread, put butter on top, flip sanwhich. Cook until golden brown.

link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5 Why don't you just go buy a toasted sandwich maker?

I have a waffle making appliance with reversible plates that allows me to use it kinda like a panini press.

link   
Here's another:

toast bread only one one side. On untoasted side spread lots of advocado then put cheese slice on top. Put under grill until light brown, salt.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I just noticed how close the spelling is between delirious and delicious .

you could get delirious with a good grilles cheese.

Loving all the suggestions so far.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Where to begin...?

Breads -
Hearty breads, fortified with nuts and oats can be good platforms for the "more than just cheese" types. Lighter breads like sourdoughs and french are great for showing off the ingredients.

Cheeses -
Good melting (American, brie, mozz, etc) are great when mixes with hearty flavored cheeses (cheddar, gouda, etc). They make unique combos that spice up a simple sammich.

Other -
Herbs and leafy things like basil, spinach, arugula, thyme can add some great flavors, and help bring out different textures. Meats, like bacon, ham, turkey, beef, chicken, or whatever, can be marinated, smoked, brined, to add different flavor profiles turning a simple grilled cheese into a culinary delight.

Remember, not all Grilled Cheeses have to be savory. Simple goat cheese with honey and apples can make a great dessert.

I will give you two of my favorites -
Savory
Thick sliced brioche bread (egg bread) buttered on outsides (one slice buttered inside) the other inside spread stone ground mustard
Sharp cheddar
Arugula
Tomato slices
Bacon

Thick sliced bread gives some heft to the sandwich and allows you to add a little more inside than you should. But hey, its comfort food, so do it.

Heat a skillet over medium, and butter the outsides of both slices (I like clarified, unsalted butter) and place on skillet. As soon as you do, butter the inside of one slice, and spread mustard on the opposite. As the bread starts to firm up and color on the outside (just BARELY starting to color) add cheese slices to each piece of bread, wait until it starts to melt a bit, then add the rest of the ingredients. I prefer cheese>bacon>tomato>arugula.

Give it a few and put it together and cut it. Then eat.

Sweet -
Cinnamon Raisin bread
clarified unsalted butter
goat cheese with honey (Trader Joes has inexpensive delicious versions)
apple slices (I like green, some like red. Up to you)

The apple provides great texture and adds something special to the sammich.

I like to experiment with different breads, butters, ingredients and such. I make a nice little cinnamon butter, lemon butter, garlic butter, and spicy butter to compliment all the sammiches I make.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
for a quick and lazy grilled cheese....
Toast bread in toaster, put american cheese slice in between toasted bread and pop in the microwave for 10-15 seconds! Then lightly butter outside of sandwich when its done!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join