It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House announces $105 million in Africa aid

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

The photos I have seen of the starving children in Somalia really pull at my heart. I can understand why we would aid them...they need food, water and medical care....

But......our country the United States is in a severe financial crisis.....so how can the President justify giving all this money away to help Africa ...when the U.S. is in such a financial mess....and when recently the poor and/or elderly in this country were threatened with their social security being taken away and their health care.

What kind of sense...does any of this make? Are they all mentally ill in D.C.!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
so who r we making rich this time over there. how much of that money really gets to the people. how much more would that money benefit people over here. its so stupid that we give money away as our country is going broke. so smart our government is, wow

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I have no problem helping other countries in need, HOWEVER, take care of your own first! If we were prospering, as a nation, I wouldn't think twice about it. That is NOT the case.

Any others wonder who will come to our aid when we are going under? The way things are unfolding - we may find out sooner rather than later.

How long will it be before we have a "save the American children" commercial running, showing our own starving and in need?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

reality check: it's dog eat dog world let them all burn each other up in the streets and record it with their cellphones..(business as usual) we have enough evil men and poverty to deal with on our own soil and we are loosing the battle same goes for the rest of you

Couldn't have put it better myself, thank you.
Yet another round of giant donations to the pirates, eh?
Anyone ever heard of birth control?

Smoke is coming out of my ears right now

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Awesome,. So the real reason to raise the debt was to continue giving money away,.

what the hell,. I say we should give ole Kim some cash to
so he can get that toy missile with the exploding tip he has always wanted..
But wait.. Maybe the American people should Give AIG some more fun money..
like my buddy peter Lik would say.. "LOVE IT"

Obama is just helpin out some of his peeps before he leaves office..
edit on 8-8-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Yay it's the feed future pirates and khat chewing ruffians! Lets see how much has the population grown since the last run of feed the starving children campaigns? Emotional responses divorced from any sense of logic

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
after 1993 somalia can get lost

we tried to help and what did we get for it? nah

they made their own beds let em deal with it.

for the families of american servicement lost down there and they see this?

i would be extrememly irrate.
edit on 8-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

I find that I rarely agree with you. But, on this, heck yeah.
No child should suffer. But let's at least help the ones here first.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Talk about stupid people making stupid moves...but he is taking care of his own people...gotta give him that

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
We have enough of a problem. Foreign aid, at this point in the game, is like tell our own citizenry "Let them eat cake".

Totally irresponsible, a slap in the face to the American people.

Of course, if I had my head in the clouds as much as the people in Washington, it'd be all good.

I'd like to see some of them donate their paychecks to the African people, instead of using my taxes to do it.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I am happy with our (u.s) decision to help as much as possible.

but, with 200,000 people coming each day, it is only a drop in the bucket.

give it a month and the aid will pull out and starve only a mere 7 million instead

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

Most people have as much to say about how their country is governed as you or me, they are as much victims as any one of us, the only difference is that we spend money in superfluous things like computers, internet, cell phones, etc, while, on one of the refugee camps, in a quiet night, only three children die, when in a "normal" night 6 or 7 die.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I do not mind helping anyone, even collectively, but on a personnel basis of my own or with a church/charitable organization. The government does not qualify under either of those categories.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Are americans dumb? If you have no MONEY, IN DEBT, why give out more money? My neighbor is in debt, up to his neck and asks me if i can GIVE HIM MONEY. MONEY, that I myself do not have, cause i too will loose my house shortly. BUT NOOOOO, give out lots of money you don't have and loose the farm. Are americans DUMB? Why on earth would anyone do this? It is MENTAL. It is unfortunate that they are all starving, it is unfortunate what is going on over there ON WHO OR WHAT IS THE BLAME. THE POINT IS , why on earth are we giving money we do not have? Are we purposely trying to bankrupt the U.S.A? Try to think about that, just let it sink in and roll around a few of them marbles you have left. THIS IS INSANE.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

don't get me wrong...i feel bad for the children who have to suffer for the selfish horrible choices that the adults over there have chosen for the past many many many years...

but the fact of the matter is...we keep sending aid...they keep taking it and wasting it on the same stupid horrible choices they have been making for those many many many years...

It seems to me as if those same children we were trying to send aid to many years ago...grew up...and started making the same choices the adults did back when they were kids...hence my lack of sympathy for many parts of africa altogether...

Like I said before...if they wanted to change...they would have done so...but these same children we helped before...just grow up to repeat the same mistakes of the past and then put their hands out asking for more for the same reasons as before...it's a cycle they can't seem to break...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
As sad as it may seem, famines hit that part of the world on a regular basis. While people are generous, the question must be asked: Where is the money coming from? The US is in dire economic state, it can not afford to be giving out any money to any other country at this time frame. This is another part of the problem that is vindictive of the problems of the economical irresponsibility of the government on its part.
Somalia, in the past, has received aid from different countries in the past, the problem is that more times than not, it does not get to the people who needs it. It may seem cruel and harsh, but can we afford to waste the time, resources and man power to ship more aid over to that part of the world, where the corrupt governments will not allow or pass it out where it can do the most good, to the very people it is intended to help? If there was a guarantee that the aid would be going directly to the people, and not into the pockets of the government or any of the other groups that rove over there, then it would be well worth it, but in this case, it can not go well. Combined with the problem that Somalia is one of the countries that has been harboring pirates that have been causing a problem for those shipping goods in that area, this may not be such a good thing.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If you're in serious debt, you don't give money to anyone. That's retarded.

I feel sorry for Americans. One stupid president after another.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Only way I approve of the money being spent is if we ....

MOVE EVERYONE CLOSER TO THE FOOD ! ! ! ! ! !
edit on 8-8-2011 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
It seems to me as if those same children we were trying to send aid to many years ago...grew up...and started making the same choices the adults did back when they were kids...hence my lack of sympathy for many parts of africa altogether...
Do you know why? Because they don't really have much of a choice.

I have seen several cases (not in Somalia, but in Africa) in which people lived around towns created by some foreign company, while the company needed the natural resources available on the area. When those natural resources ended, the company moved to another place, and the whole region would become empty of jobs, but with the economy changed to one based on money instead of the original direct trade of goods.

African countries have many responsibilities for their present situation, but so do "Western" countries, the ones that have been feeding on Africa for their own interests.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Further proof that the United States isn't a country anymore, and possibly never was. They're a global corporation/bank, and they do what they're told by their banking masters.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
How 'bout I post pictures of homeless and hungry Amerikans in need of food and shelter? Check it out:

chimpplanet.blogspot.com...

That's odd...there are people starving in Amerika...not many pictures of them though...pictures have the most impact...Could it be that the poor and hungry in Amerika are being hidden? There are however many images of those that have been helping those that have not...those supporting, without Government help...their own...read the Food Stamp Challenge...lots of blogs in line with this:

www.sodexofoundation.org...

Churches have been basically in charge of charities and feeding the hungry...Why the Government sees fit to step in and just give away something that they don't even have and their own people are suffering???

Where's the Good 'ol Catholic Church in all of this instead of the Government?

People...basically what I posted above is a moot point...The United Nations plan is to de-populate the world in whatever manner they can...be it war,poverty, or out and out starvation and murder. The plan is out there and until it is achieved more and more anomalies will befall mankind...whether they are American or European or African...so again I say....Take care of your own first...then if you can take care of the rest...We the People have charitable hearts...unfortunately to a fault most times.
edit on 8-8-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join