It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are these statues ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
There is this stone creature, a statue, called Dol Hareubang in Korea. Hareubang seems to be native to Jeju Island, but nobody really knows much about him. Or I simply couldn’t find it in all my research. His alternative names are Beoksumeori, Museongmok, Useongmok.

I apologize right now about my poor English which is not my mother tongue.

Only a few odd facts seem to conjure up a vague speculation which I shall unroll here by comparing hareubang with a few similar statues from literally all around the world, all of them just as cloaked in a nebulous oblivion of antiquity :

Firstly, this ‘now famous statue’ of Tiahuanaco – but other than that not much more was said about it in this thread here by our also famous Slayer of ATS
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]

Second the Bada Valley Megaliths - Sculptured Stone in central Sulawesi of Indonesia, also without much explanation to its origin.
www.megalithic.co.uk...

[align=center]
[/align]

The Moai of Polinesia, an other mystery, also might have some resemblance to the others.
www.squidoo.com...

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center][atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2efd7c33ad0.jpg[/img]

The biggest surprise I had when I came across this statue, equally unexplainable, that stands in the newly found temple of Göbekli Tepe in Turkey.
ngm.nationalgeographic.com...

[align=center]
[/align]

I am also intrigued by this obscure Skythian deer stones found near Novosibirsk by the Altai mountains university, the steppes. Unfortunately I have lost the link to this statue, but I remember that it is believed that the stone might be 3000 years old or older.

[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]
Chuya Deer Stone, a statue of a Skythian warrior.
www.adventuretravel.ru...

Now let me introduce you to the dol hareubang

[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]
infertilityeggdonor.com...www.lifeinkorea.com... g
They are considered to be gods offering both protection and fertility and were placed outside of gates for protection against demons traveling between realities.

Today they seem to be a common place all over Korea, most often I saw them in pairs outside restaurant doors. Apparently it is very important that one hand is depicted a little lower than the other. Their name translates to ‘stone grandfather’.

Not much else seems to be known. But i came across a fascinating twist that might link this figure to the rest of them. There is a phenomenon on Jeju Island. The people there speak a heavy dialect, that is unlike Korean but is apparently derived from Mongolian.

An other interesting fact is, that some texts link this grandfather to a magic mushroom, because of his hat gear. and it just so happens that the mushroom in question is grown in Mongolian area.

From Mongolia we find easily speculative (resp.proven) connections to Skythia, Turkey, MesoAmerica – I’m puzzled with Indonesia and Polinesia though well, these ancestors of ours did criss-corss the continents. I’m so curious if any of you can find some links and stories.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bestintentions

in this thread here by our also famous Slayer of ATS

Hey..! You trying to get your own thread thrown into the HOAX bin..? Careful what you say...

An other interesting fact is, that some texts link this grandfather to a magic mushroom, because of his hat gear.

The Hat Gear reminds me of something more along the 'Fertility' theory rather than the 'shroom' theory, but I may have underlying issues that are affecting my perception...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Excellent post.

I am familiar with the first 3 statues.
There are more interesting things about these "dwarf magicians" than the fact, they guarded our reality. The 2nd or 3rd statue is responsible for raising a tower that is some couple of hundred feet high.

Here is the crazy part.
I have a picture of the same exact statue. It is said, in one of his hands, he is holding an object that does not have an English translation. In the book, I read the name of the object in Nahuatl, which is the language the Aztecs, and Mayans spoke. It is translated by legend as "fiery serpent",as it is said to be able to strike enemies, leaving them burned and dead. I will look for the book to post his name, the name of the temple he 'rose' in one night, and the name of the object in Nahuatl.
**The object sounds like a gun of some sort, or a laser???? that's the first thing that came to mind.

**It is said the Mayans just disappeared over night. ALOT of native legends speak of the Mayans being booted out of the "confederacy" that all people were apart of at that time. The evidence is in language most central and south american civilizations had 2 languages, a local one, and the national one. With this connection between people, I personally find the local legends to be credible. It would be like the people of Nevada telling us about a Californian catastrophe. Anyway back to surface, the Mayans are said to been ousted for practicing things that were supposed to be outlawed. The legend even speaks of them being deported to Polynesia.
edit on 8-8-2011 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: ** additional facts.

edit on 8-8-2011 by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS because: **addition

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by bestintentions

in this thread here by our also famous Slayer of ATS
Hey..! You trying to get your own thread thrown into the HOAX bin..? Careful what you say...

An other interesting fact is, that some texts link this grandfather to a magic mushroom, because of his hat gear.
The Hat Gear reminds me of something more along the 'Fertility' theory rather than the 'shroom' theory, but I may have underlying issues that are affecting my perception...

Is this how the statues get stoned?

Great thread, SnF

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

yes, that is actually a fact i missed mentioning : the resemblance to the lingam!
that of course could be why this symbol is noted all over the place, everywhere, a lot, over centuries...., very important

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

love your humour

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

wow!! the mayans being deportet to polinesia ! the old ones certainly were up to a lot of strange things we don't understand today.

i wonder whether that 'fiery serpent' could be equivalent to the 'thunderbolt' the old ones of central asia and mediterranian areas are holding in their hand - and caused so much havoc. like the catastrophe in the indus valley

thank you for your excellent input. i have studied much of ancient europe and asia, but have not much knowledge yet of the old american affairs. but they just match up as all the other stories from the rest of the world.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I agree on the "magic mushroom" speculation, as the entities inhabiting the psilocybe variety of mushrooms are sometimes represented like the dol hareubang image!

take a look at the Guatemalan Mayan stone mushrooms, info in here

look at the pictures and more info here

there is much to understand about the ancients, some things only seem a certain way, when in "reality" we haven't got much of a middle ground to base our assumptions, as many things from the past were lost forever!
cheers! great topic and find OP

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bestintentions
Firstly, this ‘now famous statue’ of Tiahuanaco – but other than that not much more was said about it in this thread here by our also famous Slayer of ATS

BECAUSE....

There is a method to my madness err umm... upcoming thread.

Stay tuned

Peru Cloud People Statues

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneEyedProphet

the plot thickens.
what amazing pictures. i hope you don't mind if i embed them on the thread.

thank you for your contribution, i will spend now some more time studying. just as well it is my day off.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

cloud people............

i shall stay tuned !

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
They are most obviously chess pieces of the giants.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

lol
those giants must have fallen asleep. those chess pieces have not moved much lately.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
In looking at statues, you ALSO have to look at "when were they carved" and "where were they found" and "what written language did the people have"?

The statues come from different times. There is at least a 3,000 year difference in some of them.

One is apparently something created in modern times (there is a similar image (statue) of "good luck/fertility) in the Inuit culture that was created in the 1900's as a tourist souvenir. It's called the Billiken.

Some are old.

Some (Mayan/Incan) aren't that old (1,000 years) and have writing on them that can be read.

Easter Island statues aren't that old (1,000 years or so.)

When looking at art, you have to ask five things: What is the statue? How do they know this? When was it made? Where was it made? What did it mean to the culture of the time?

You can't just look and guess.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I find it amazing that these statues that appear 1,000's of years ago all around the world look so similar - just as wild as all the pyramids found all over the world and look so similar.

And we still don't REALLY know their true purpose or meaning.

Looking forward to Slayer's thread.

S & F - Thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

in my opinion looking and guessing are the beginnings of analysing, recognising and understanding. it is to start somewhere when you are on a quest to getting to know the old ancestors through what is left of their expressions. once you are able to formulate the right question you can find the answer.

the time of creation of an object might only be a secondary fact. e.g. there is this well known book that was written about 2000 years ago. but part of its intellectual content might be as old as 6000 years or as today we would say ‘it could be anybodies guess’ how old it really might be.

yes, I agree that individually we think of ourselves as such creators and equipped with fabulous fantasy. but from a distance away humans do not look very innovative. if I look at modern science fiction - how much similarity is there to the stories from the old ones ?

and I thank you for your challenging contribution and linking us to the Billiken.

www.churchofgoodluck.com...

billiken also is surrounded by much speculation of its original inspiration although we know it is invented and patented in 1908 by Florence Pretz from kansas city. I think it is obvious that she drew her inspiration from the “mysterious orient”. she dreamed of “things Japanese” and had much interest in “a verse from The Rubiyat by Omar Khayam”. it is well documented. it still leaves me with a bit of a warm feeling of being connected to old times.

personally it reminded me of a tiki, a dwarf or even a smiling buddha. in modern times, our inspirations can have their roots in a vast variety. but what inspired artists some hundreds or thousands of years ago ? I bet a lot of inspiration came from tribal stories and memories. memories tribes carry with them when wandering around. their creations leave me very warm and seem to suggest: ask more, ask more.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This statue is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful and artistic creations I have ever laid my eyes on:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
@ Op.

i think we can see them as kind of a Guardian,
like Spirits who take care the Village.

Lately i discovered in Myanmar that the Lizu People (a Hilltribe)
also create Human Guardians in big Paper Models.
I will try to locate some Pics, until than look this one:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
First off nice thread, but the appearances of the statues found in Jeju Island might as well be just mere similarities.

It is widely accepted that these statues were erected in a time frame of 500 years, from 1416 to 1916 where the the Island of Jeju was divided into three areas. There are a total of 47 Dol Hareubangs found throughout Jeju, along with countless duplicates. Their purpose wasn't actually fertility, but rather as guardians, religious/sorcery, or as geographical/location marks.

Seeing these statues were made in the Middle Ages, I have to say it's a universal thing rather than point to ancient history. Also these statues aren't monolithic like the Eastern Island's (only 134-187cm tall). I couldn't find any information anywhere on about these statues linked with mushrooms or fertility, although they do have a rather phallic appearance. Btw, the reason why Jeju has a strong dialect is because it's an island(rather obvious). And Koreans came from Mongols in case you didn't know.
edit on 9-8-2011 by Truthisnear because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Truthisnear

thank you for your interest and of course ‘the appearances of the statues found in Jeju Island might as well be just mere similarities’ or even mere universal coincidence. but where does that leave the conviction, truth and originality of our ancestors ?

you can read up at wikipedia “There are three main theories as to the origin of dol hareubangs; either …….. or that they spread with shamanic mushroom culture…..”. but there a few other documents on this speculation.

as a korean I would tell you ‘don’t you know we were founded 2333 bc by dangun, who is the grandson of hwanin, the lord of heaven?- and before we became humans we were bears’.

as a mongolian I would thank you for your credit to us, since the term mongolian came only to be used with chingis khan ca 1200 ad - and to us mongolians he is truly the greatest man ever!

but I know what you mean. there were people riding into korea from areas that are now called siberia and mongolia . I prefer to call them people, clans, tribes or ethnic groups who originally had gathered around the altai mountains - the golden mountain - the mother mountain of many many people who nowadays can not all be traced down anymore.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join