It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas billionaire Charles Wyly killed in Colo.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Texas billionaire Charles Wyly killed in Colo.

Major GOP Doner Killed in Car Crash

Texas Gov. Rick Perry was one of the biggest political beneficiaries, receiving more than $300,000 combined from the Wylys since 2000, according to Texas Ethics Commission reports. According to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, the brothers had donated almost $2.5 million to more than 200 Republican candidates and committees at the federal level over the past two decades. Last summer, the Securities and Exchange Commission accused Wyly and his brother of using offshore havens to hide more than a half-billion dollars in profits over 13 years of insider stock trading. The brothers denied and were fighting the allegations.

All allegiance aside, shouldn't contributions at this monetary level be at long last, considered political bribery? Acceptance of luxuries bought and paid for by lobbyist with the explicit aim of swaying the views of those in public office, could be seen by many as pure corruption. Should there be a penalty instituted, for that type of behavior?

edit on 8-8-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline

edit on 8/9/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Oops, sorry- it double-posted

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The Democrats secretly conspired to assassinate this man to benefit their cause..............

2nd J/K

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lowundertheradar

Well, if so they need to penalize George Soros for his massive donations to the democraps and for buying their way into power...
You really need to learn to not be so myoptic about these things. If you truly still believe that one side of the political spectrum is less criminal than the other side, then you have a lot to learn. They are two sides of the same political coin and are both equally corrupt.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Not saying one side's any better than any other. The political arena is nothing but a business, anyway. Monopolistic abuse of political power through high-level contributions needs to be curtailed, through something akin to "anti-trust". Acceptance of such huge donations seems to me an ethical failure and needs to be addressed through adequate legislature...as if THAT's ever going to happen!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Gov Perry is in the Council on Foreign relations.

This guy must have pissed off the wrong person. That or a coincidence seeing as people die everyday in these kinds of crashes.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Well since they exempt themselves from the laws they write for us - they will never have any consequences for their actions even if they are illegal.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
supreme court said it was okay, remember? money is free speech! so the wealthier you are, the more free speech and the more free and equal you are! and as for soros, his money is eclipsed by the koch brothers and mellon scaife. remember him? don't go there.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

Soros just hides it better through a wider variety of foundations, corporations, institutions, 527 groups, etc. He donated well over $23,000,000.00 in 2003-2004 alone just to try to defeat Bush's re-election. Soros's power and influence over politics is quite astonishingly massive - although he needs to throw a little more coin at...um...things like California's prop 19 (reforming cannabis laws)

Both sides, however - as I said previously, are equally corrupt and influenced by "donations".

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lowundertheradar

All allegiance aside, shouldn't contributions at this monetary level be at long last, considered political bribery? Acceptance of luxuries bought and paid for by lobbyist with the explicit aim of swaying the views of those in public office, could be seen by many as pure corruption. Should there be a penalty instituted, for that type of behavior?

Absolutely!

With that kind of money being spent the appearance of impropriety is difficult to separate from the assumption of impropriety.

As I recall hearing on television reports in the past, some, mostly corporations, give heavily to opposing candidates which rather proves the point that it is intended for favors. I do not recall ever hearing of specific examples, so I take that with a grain of salt.

Still, the campaign war-chest size in our time for gubernatorial and national races cannot help but corrupt-- if not the candidate, then certainly the donors who are expecting to have influence.

(Speaking of impropriety, excuse me, please, for dismissing the notice of a man's death to comment on the politics of it.)
edit on 8-8-2011 by Frira because: minor typo correction

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

My apologies to all. In my rush to post this story with my fail-computer, I neglected to express my condolences towards this mans family and friends, who've undoubtedly lost a well loved member.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Seems he was George W. Bush's #9 biggest doner.
en.wikipedia.org...

Charles Wyly and Sam Wyly, Texas brothers who collectively represented Bush's 9th greatest career contributor.

www.sec.gov...

Washington, D.C., July 29, 2010 — The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged brothers Samuel E. Wyly and Charles J. Wyly, Jr. of Dallas with violating federal securities laws governing ownership and trading of securities by corporate insiders. The Wyly brothers reaped more than $550 million in undisclosed gains while sitting on corporate boards by trading stock in those public companies through hidden entities located in foreign jurisdictions to conceal their ownership and trading of those securities.

edit on 8-8-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Donor! The word is DONOR, not doner! grrr...
Just kidding!

I personally think that I should be allowed to dangle a beautiful woman with a million dollars under a politician's nose. No foul, unless he accepts it. Then arrest him and throw him in jail. Put the responsibility where it belongs...stop giving these jerks a way out of taking bad money.
edit on 8-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Donor! The word is DONOR, not doner! grrr... Just kidding!

All I'm saying is, spell-check better get on the stick!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I would say Karma bit this one in the butt big time. Maybe 2012ers are right. If we see this happening to these guys more than maybe the retribution is all coming? End of days karmic closure. Just maybe.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lowundertheradar
Acceptance of such huge donations seems to me an ethical failure and needs to be addressed through adequate legislature...as if THAT's ever going to happen!

Legislation is not for the purposes of manufacturing ethics. Illegal? Yes. Unethical? No.

join