It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London riots: BlackBerry to help police probe Messenger looting 'role'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Getting back to Blackberry and the rioters, two good BBC links.
BBC 8/9
BBC 8/10

My interpretation of these articles is the game plan is to first make a list of blackberries in the area of the riots based on cell tower used. The wireless carrier would do this. However, not all the blackberries would be BBMing. So the carrier sends a list of IMEIs to RIM, which I guess cross-references them to PINs, then looks for BBM activity at the time of the riots.

BBMing at the scene of a crime doesn't make you a criminal. You could be a reporter BBMing that something is happening, say to call the TV van, etc. Now participating in Group Messages might make you look more suspicious, so they can narrow down the list of targets. But it isn't clear to me that RIM can decode BBMs in the UK. I'm not entirely sure after all the hand wringing with the Indian government, they can decode BBMs in India, let alone a country where BBM hasn't been an issue.

Assume for the moment, the messages can't be decoded. Then the police have a list of targets. The next step is to identify them on video. If they Black Bloc, that seems pointless. If their faces are not hidden, it still seems like a daunting task to clearly identify someone from camera video. I doubt any arrest would be made without physical evidence that they were participating in a crime.

My guess is law enforcement wants a list of targets to track in the future. Once you are on the list, you are on the list forever, something like NCIC in the US. Other than getting a burner phone or hiding your phone under another name, I don't see an escape from such tracking.

If the rioters go to Blackberry email, then the whole surveillance is moot. My recollection is RIM has stated Blackberry email decryption can't be broken. Now this is strictly for email assigned to the phone, not email that gets relayed from a server that is not encrypted.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
ars technica

A bit more on the riots. There is a twitter hashtag for cleanup, kind of an answers to the thuggery.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The Internet blackouts triggered by Mubarak, Assad and Ahmadinejad have proved to be the precedent for the globalist elite to impose Internet blackouts in times of internal crises to prevent the truth from leaking out.

Cameron threatens to shut down UK social networks

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join