It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London riots: BlackBerry to help police probe Messenger looting 'role'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

London riots: BlackBerry to help police probe Messenger looting 'role'

www.guardian.co.uk

The maker of the BlackBerry, Research in Motion, said on Monday night that it would co-operate with a police investigation into claims that its popular BlackBerry Messenger service played a key role in organising the London riots.

Scotland Yard vowed to track down and arrest protesters who posted "really inflammatory, inaccurate" messages on the service, and the social networking websites Twitter and Facebook.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) appears to be the favoured method of planning the unrest that has swept across north London since Saturday evening. Unlike text messaging or Twitter, BBM is a free, private social network where almost all messages are encrypted when they leave the sender's phone – meaning that many messages are untraceable by the authorities.

RIM can be legally ordered to hand over details to police of users suspected of unlawful activity. However, the Canadian company would be likely to resist those demands and the content of users' inflammatory messages would be encrypted. The manufacturer has previously insisted that even it cannot unscramble users' messages when sent on the devices.

the article goes on to say

One BBM broadcast posted on Monday evening appeared to urge protesters to go looting in Stratford, east London. "If you're down for making money, we're about to go hard in east london tonight, yes tonight!!" it said. "I don't care what ends you're from, we're personally inviting you to come and get it in. Police have taken the piss for too long and to be honest I don't know why its taken so long for us make this happen. We need a minimum of 200 hungry people. We're not broke, but who says no to free stuff. Doesn't matter if the police arrive cos we'll just chase dem out because as you've seen on the news, they are NOT ON DIS TING. Everyone meet at 7 at stratford park and let's get rich."

For the last 3 days there has been increasing rioting and looting in the London area now there are many buildings on fire all over the city. Many news sources are blaming the Blackberry messaging service for helping to organize the criminal damage. Rioting ,looting and arson has been going on in Tottenham ,Lambeth, Haringey, Enfield ,Waltham Forest ,Hackney, Peckham, Deptford, Lewisham, Clapham and Croydon. Also more unrest and looting has been reported in Birmingham almost 200 miles away.

There are storys all over the net about the government shutting down the Blackberry service until things have calmed down. So it seems Blackberry has finally given in and agreed to pass over all the messages to the police. The UK government has no formal agreement with Blackberry for monitoring messages.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
is this bigger than what was in france a couple of years ago ?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Blackberries ???? ..But but but…….. They are suppose to be disadvantaged youts.!!!!!!!! Poor my freaking a$$. They have money, they are just wasting it!

I can’t even justify the expense of getting a blackberry for what I do!!!!!!!!!

And they are just shooting themselves in the foot by burning local shops. You think your neighborhood is downtrodden now, wait a few more years after something like this. There will be nothing left.

I say enough is enough, just give a good warning, and anyone breaking into a store will be shot on sight! The crap will come to a stop!
End of line!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Blackberries ???? ..But but but…….. They are suppose to be disadvantaged youts.!!!!!!!! Poor my freaking a$$. They have money, they are just wasting it!

And they are just shooting themselves in the foot by burning local shops. You think your neighborhood is downtrodden now, wait a few more years after something like this. There will be nothing left.

I say enough is enough, just give a good warning, and anyone breaking into a store will be shot on sight! The crap will come to a stop!
End of line!

Oh yes you're very very smart aren't you? lets hang the petty thieves and appoint the big ones to office yeah?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
the whole reason they are having these riots is because those pigs shot and killed a man in the public eye. i hope a revolution like this happens where i live... i cant wait to take back whats mine..... FREEDOM!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Talon666

Freedom? What freedom are you talking about? Freedom to loot small businesses and smash up other peoples property? Freedom to terrorise communities and set public buildings on fire? Because that is all thats been happening in London tonight.

This is ALL senseless, unnescessary violence.
edit on 8-8-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

A life is worth more then any materialistic product on this planet, and when power is used to destroy life, you have to go to extreme measures to get the point across, i dont care if its burning buildings cars etc,

plus, the corrupt government doesnt care abut us, al they care about is making themselves wealthy, trying to achieve as much control as possible and to keep us helpless and always in a depressed state as well as scared.

if the gov killed anybody i know for an unlawful or unjust cause, i would personally do absolutely anything and everything to cause as much damage as i can to those corrupt Bastards.

im happy that everyone in the UK is working together to send the Gov a message.. and i hope that the message sinks in because the people as you can see have had enough.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Ths smart ones loot a Nike store first, then the electrical store.

What good is a TV when you cannot run?

Oh and if you see a Kenyan man running with a TV, don't bother running after him, he most likely won the London marathon.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amassuo

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

End of line!

Oh yes you're very very smart aren't you? lets hang the petty thieves and appoint the big ones to office yeah?

How in the heck does burning your fellow countryman’s property, who is suffering under the same oppression as you, do anything to stick it to the big man?

There is absolutely no logic in that.

It is absolute stupidity! There is no way to logically reframe it.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talon666
the whole reason they are having these riots is because those pigs shot and killed a man in the public eye. i hope a revolution like this happens where i live... i cant wait to take back whats mine..... FREEDOM!

While I am up for a proper revolution, I have no respect for these oppertunist thieves, and vandalous thugs destroying and burning everything in sight. Im a poor man myself, but I do not stoop to theft and criminal damage to solve my woes, or ease the ache in my heart from watching my nation get crapped on by its government, no matter which party happens to be running it.

The fact is that this riot kicked off around a shooting, but when the drama started, and folks started making mayhem, no one had even waited to see how the post mortem had gone, they just went beserk !

Thing is , that the dead mans family responded to these insane riots by saying that they do not condone those sorts of response to thier loved ones passing. Community members, and local people said that the people doing these things do not represent the people who live in the area from which the dead man came. The truth of it was clear on the faces of those who had come to watch those responses, the public in the locality are behind that statement , like saxons behind sheilds.

But for the riots in the rest of London, there is not even the ill thought out pretence of a dead man, fresh in the memory to fan the flames of madness, but there is great chaos spreading over the capital as we speak. Someone , somewhere must be guiding this cancer, this vile dysfunctional , pointless show of anger. Something lies underneath this, that has nothing to do with poverty , and nothing to do with politics. Most of the people doing this damage, are them selves being played I would warrant, doing what they are doing under a false pretence.

Also , I wonder what the membership might think of the words "agent provocateur", as they apply to this situation. Does not seem like a wild beast this, rising up in one spot one moment, and one spot the next. This requires planning, foreknowledge of events, including I would have thought, the killing of a young man in Tottenham (which implies either mystical understanding of time and space, or some involvment in the death) and the confidence that hundreds if not thousands of people would sign up to join your trashing thrashing nightmare creation night.

These things do not come about over night. Actions this widespread, this dangerous , and this downright unified do not come about without unified command. I want to know who started this little group, and I want to ask him if he thinks everyone who died in the second world war would be happy to know, that what they died stopping the Nazis from doing, is being done by the next couple of generations of Brits, out of spite and nothing more?

I respect my forefathers, and thier sacrifices, and value each square inch of this grand old nation , as if it were rare diamond, rather than stone, mud, blood , and bone, covered with asphalt and concrete. I may be poor, but that does not mean I have to behave like an animal, and that means that no other bugger has an excuse. Thats what makes me so angry about this situation. Some utter pustule on the left testicle of satan, has decided to ruin a city that my grandfathers generation fought to defend.

Buildings lie gutted, cars blistered, bent, warped by fire and dented by sticks and rocks and whatever is to hand. Businesses smoke and burn, peoples homes go up in inferno conditions, thier worldly goods, young and old , rich and poor, are nought but ashes now.

One more thing I have observed. When the student riots kicked off, there wasnt nearly as much proper damage, places werent burnt out , not one piece of industrial scale arson was committed . And yet there were thousands of police around , waving thier carbon fibre sticks, and pepper spray, and rapid response shields at young kids.
But what have they done this time around? I mean, they havent kettled anyone, they havent taken more than a fraction of the trouble makers of the streets ... they seem to be backing off of this one, when you would have thought that they are the people to be dealing with it full on.

Odd isnt it. The student protests of a while back, were aimed very much against the government , and got HAMMERED for it by batons, by police horses, this that and the other. Palsied men were dragged from wheelchairs, and a young boy was rendered insensible and in a coma with a police baton to the head.

This time nothing... I wonder how this riot can pose less of a threat than a bunch of kids acting righteously , thereby explaining the weak police response? Well maybe someone was ordered not to make any moves to properly deal with this riot? Maybe someone has something to gain by all this ... I would love to know who!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I really can't believe people are standing up for the rioters in this thread. Let me put it very clearly to you, they have had on the BBC people who ran out of flats that were on fire; yes on fire.

These rioters you are standing up for calling petty criminals were setting fire to buildings with no thought as to wether people were inside, peoples livlihoods and homes have been burnt to the ground and we may find out in a few days people were inside some of these buildings.

And you would possibly try to defend that?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Some of the footage from the riots

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Government propaganda just to clear out a message service witch is encrypted.
it's the fight against technology this is British propaganda against those services

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

In an ideal world, the people that lived in those flats would have filed out with their shotguns and rifles. Then formed a line around the apartment when the rioters approached. When the first rioter threw a firebomb, or tried charging the line, they would open up and mow them all down. And I would be cheering them on!

But that’s right, in the UK you can’t own guns for self defense, so you just have to run for your little life and hope no one kills you or your family for sport.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vallerie

Government propaganda just to clear out a message service witch is encrypted. it's the fight against technology this is British propaganda against those services

That would not surprise me at all. I dont know many teenagers with Blackberrys, they all have iphones and Androids.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred
reply to post by Talon666

Freedom? What freedom are you talking about? Freedom to loot small businesses and smash up other peoples property? Freedom to terrorise communities and set public buildings on fire? Because that is all thats been happening in London tonight.

This is ALL senseless, unnescessary violence.
edit on 8-8-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

In Libya and Afghanistan right now innocent civilians are being targeted and killed by the criminals in office, the counties' natural resources are being taken over and the infrastructure is being decimated where's the outrage about that?

The criminal banksters are reducing every single ordinary member of our population to serfdom, where's the outrage about that?

edit on 8-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by Vallerie

Government propaganda just to clear out a message service witch is encrypted. it's the fight against technology this is British propaganda against those services

That would not surprise me at all. I dont know many teenagers with Blackberrys, they all have iphones and Androids.

It still wouldn't surprise me if government agents were instigating some of this....maybe government agents with blackberries?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Pretty much what you said

I agree with all of your posts on this thread.

The situation needs dealt with. Damn punks......bean bags in the gut, at least

Where are the water cannons? If that don't work, break out the scatter guns........
edit on 8-8-2011 by liejunkie01 because: comma

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I agree the UK Gobernment would love to have a reason to force Blackberry to give up their messages.Wouldnt surprise me if they tried to blame facebook and twitter to. I dont know if the Uk Government has a formal agreement with those companys.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join