It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London riots spreading to Birmingham, Leeds

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Seems to be a bit of a "right of passage" for generations of us John Bullers. We have riots every 10 years or so in the inner cities. The riots in 2000 got loads of coverage cos we were moving into the rolling 24 hour news era. These riots are getting even more coverage because there is an even larger media presence. Also, don't necessarily believe what is reported - i know this from first hand experience in Bradford in 2000. Widely reported as race riots, i was free to walk and go wherever i liked (white, shaved head) without being attacked by asian youths. This appears to be the case here also. And for those who are talking up the ethnic make up of the rioters, most are in inner city city areas predominantly populated by ethnic minorities - as such they would clearly therefore make up the majority rioters!

Have to say though that this generation have crossed the line with these riots - you don't set fire to blocks of flats for a giggle unless you have serious mental issues. Don't usually see looters looting each other either!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

I am poor and have debts, but my daughter is being taught to respect other people's views and property.
If she ever does something like this, I would give the victims her property and make her repair all damages and then ground her and take away her privileges for 5 years!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
reply to post by cheesyleps

How old are you, Cheesy? I ask, cos there's a world of difference in growing up prior to the mid 80s and after.
Yes, you got out and weren't held back by your roots, but I'd say its next to impossible these days.

I'm 25. I was born in 1986.

My brother is 20 and was born in 1991 and he has gone the same way I have, but hasn't got out of the city yet due to his work being based there. He didn't go down the academic route I did, but has managed to work his way up to a good supervisory position in Barclays in the space of 4 years.

My point is there are still opportunities for those with a decent upbringing that instills a proper moral compass and a real work ethic. Both of us are more determined than most to never to have to bring our own children up on unemployment benefits because we saw first hand just how difficult it was for our parents. That is where I don't understand how so many people are happy to scrounge for multiple generations. It's a miserable existence on the bread line, but the one thing we always had was pride! That seems to have disappeared.

edit on 9/8/11 by cheesyleps because: Added the last two sentences.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Too many people are walking straight into the hands of EDL,BNP. Combat 18 with their "it's the Muslims" cr*p
i.dailymail.co.uk... look at the picture, yes there are lots of Blacks, & Asian's in the pictures but these are areas of London which have a high number of Black & Asian people living in them. Just look at the picture, seems to me that there are an awful lot of white people in that picture too.

The Right wing extremists will be having a huge recruitment drive soon, just watch. the EDL will be on the streets again shoving flyers into the hands of people the BNP will be doing the same.

That's a crime in itself. we live in a multicultural society. These yobs are of all races but the media and lots of people are just focusing on the fact that the whites are being targeted etc:

Makes me sad to be English

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

You're not alone in thinking that, I assure you. Should this continue, or should we say at least, if a veil of political correctness and human rights brandishing is seen to protect the reasons behind this nonsense, then I feel the vast majority of the British public will reach a tipping point. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that should Police not contain this trend, people will stand up, be counted and possibly even take to streets in defence of their own communities. Many ''groups'' are being setup as we speak.

The fact that the British public are seeing largely ethnic groups perpetrate this will only fuel the anger and hatred toward the immigration that was rampant under the Labour Government and this will get the minority organsiations foaming at the mouth. The general public are pissed off because of the behaviour that's allowed to happen throughout the country, factor in the ethnic element and immigration under-class uprising and you have a recipe for real, belly-churning hatred among many, many otherwise non-racist Britons.

Those are simple, clear observations.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

I do not discriminate between races or religions, I do not condone discrimination as I am also a victim of it at a daily basis!
I do not however condone the manipulation of people to gain personal benefits out of it! And that is what I DO discriminate against!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Agreed. I'm seeing a good mix of races in the pictures. Yet to see any decent photos of what happened in Liverpool, but I can bet there is a larger proprotion of whites involved in Liverpool than in London. Not because we have less minorities, Toxteth is a major middle eastern / eastern european area, but because the trouble in Liverpool is purely criminal and there are an awful lot of white scousers who have more than a passing acquaintance with theft.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

God that made me feel old!

Fair play to you, then! I do fear that you're something of a minority, though.
There is something like a mass depression that has settled over the real poor in this country, they seem to get by on false promises and pipe dreams, I don't think it will get any better until society stops being slanted so far towards the richest.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BAZ752

Completely agree. I think they are wrong, but I can see how what you say will play out. Watching the news last night and this morning it seems that the majority of the looting is by minorities, but the violent elements are pretty well mixed.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not and I apologise if it has, but there's a movement on Twitter now using the hashtags #riotwombles #riotcleanup and people are coming together to try and fix what they can while the rioters are absent.

I thought that something nice like this would be good as a counterpoint to the idiocy being shown by the rioters.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheesyleps
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Agreed. I'm seeing a good mix of races in the pictures. Yet to see any decent photos of what happened in Liverpool, but I can bet there is a larger proprotion of whites involved in Liverpool than in London. Not because we have less minorities, Toxteth is a major middle eastern / eastern european area, but because the trouble in Liverpool is purely criminal and there are an awful lot of white scousers who have more than a passing acquaintance with theft.

As a Toffee I'm in Liverpool as often as I can get there, so know what ya mean. Had mates that used to frequent Toxteth & quite often would go out on the rob through Liverpool city center. So know what ya mean there.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sephrenia

I agree completely with you that this is a good kind of movement, however the MSM is not broadcasting this on the tele, unless it's on a station that I can't receive.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sephrenia
I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not and I apologise if it has, but there's a movement on Twitter now using the hashtags #riotwombles #riotcleanup and people are coming together to try and fix what they can while the rioters are absent.

I thought that something nice like this would be good as a counterpoint to the idiocy being shown by the rioters.

I for one steer clear of Twitter & the other Social Networking sites, pure Evil if you ask me but that's another topic.
But well done for posting this.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK

God that made me feel old!

Fair play to you, then! I do fear that you're something of a minority, though.
There is something like a mass depression that has settled over the real poor in this country, they seem to get by on false promises and pipe dreams, I don't think it will get any better until society stops being slanted so far towards the richest.

I apologise for that, it wasn't my intention to make you feel old. I imagine you weren't expecting me to be under 35 because I dnt typs leik ths!!!! I learnt very early on that a good grasp and use of the English language in written form goes a long way to getting you noticed in the job market with the current standard of education in this country. You may have got a different impression if you heard me actually speak. No matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of my Liverpool accent.

I don't think it is a mass depression, I honestly believe it is the degradation of the British "Jam tomorrow" mentality. We were always a people who were happy to scrimp and save if there was something we really wanted. As long as there was some sort of light at the end of the tunnel we were happy to take some hardship to get there. Over the last 10 years or so (probably more, but I wasn't particularly aware of social trends before the age of 15) that mentality has changed to one of: 'Jam today, jam tomorrow, we can have jam every day because I have a credit card!'

I see it all the time because I live in a moderately wealthy area. I'm the only person on my street who has a car older than 5 years (V reg 3 series, looks good, reliable, cost me £1300 from the auctions). My wife uses that car for work, I commute on a motorbike (Honda Super Blackbird, R reg, looks good, bulletproof reliability, goes like stink, cost £1500). Between us we spent less buying two vehicles outright than most of our neighbours spend a year leasing a new car!

The majority of this generation seems to think that they are entitled to everything instantly.

Does it stem from that debt based keeping up with the jones' or from mollycoddling at schools (everyone is special, no competitive sports days, anyone who is naughty has adhd, anyone who can't spell is dyslexic) or from mass immigration slowly changing historic "British" values?

I genuinely don't know. What I do know is that this will get much worse before it gets better.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Sounds like that someone at BBC is reading our posts, because they are now running the story about the FB riotcleaners in Liverpool!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   

I have seen it also when I lived in Hartlepool and I am seeing it now where I live now ( Holland, small village).
Ihave also got debts but that is due to the fact that I was a single mom and the council expected me to work 40 hours a week for less than minimum and refused to grant me a benefit uplift to minimum. And then they said : how is it possible you have debts? WTF.
And the next door neighbour didn't have to work and got full benefits because she cried discrimination! And she didn't even have KIDS!
edit on 9-8-2011 by KhaliWitch because: forgot something

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Hope nothing kicks off tonight, if it does, i doubt it will be London. I hear reports on BBC news that they're taking police from all areas of the UK to protect London, an extra 10,000 i believe.
However, that means that many places in the UK that are under-policed, with full shops to loot, the rioters could easily capitalize on this (if they use there head anyway, hopefully they will carry on without like before).
I've heard that transport to Birmingham is being stopped from 5pm, however i have also heard rumours about it kicking off at 4pm, personally i believe if there are more looting tonight, it wont be in the areas already stuck, they're empty, gutted, very little places left to steal.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

I'm also hoping that it doesn't spread further north and that these riots die out, but I am most probably full of false hope

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Looks like it might soon be time for normal folk to get out of their houses and sort this mess out. Some vigilante action is what is needed. I'm all for buring banks and government buildings in a riot, but not peoples homes. And this has a real chance of spreading like wildfire over the whole country. Time to tool up and be ready.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Quote: "Hundreds of Turkish shopkeepers take to the streets in north London to defend their businesses"

How long before others follow suit?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

No need to apologise, I left school in 85 and its still a bit of a shock to think that anyone born after Grange Hill finished would be a grown up, with a job! :-D
Nice choice on the Blackbird, btw. (My commuter is an old XL1200 Evo).

Anyhow, what you are describing are fairly well off people. The folks doing the looting can only get credit if they have a money box on the telly, couldn't dream of owning a house (even though rent is much more than a mortgage), and if they have a job, it's likely to be minimum wage and have no prospects, pension plan etc.

Yes, trying to make yourself feel better by outspending the neighbours is daft, but what if that's not an option? If all you see is growing old in the same estate you were born in and always struggling?
That's a harsh existence and it will screw anyone up.

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join