It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Tsunami Broke Huge Icebergs Off Antarctica!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

...thats a REALLY cute pup on your avatar... ...on topic - so, uh, the tsunami traveled 8000 miles at 444+mph?... can they sustain that speed for 18hours?... did i do the math right?... ...seems like, if this report is true, there wouldve been a lot of losses in shipping lanes that we wouldve heard about long before now...

Thank you!!

Thats an interesting thought, and I really didnt consider the speed...

Maybe because the waves were well enough under the surface it wouldnt have affected ships/cargo etc??....

EDIT TO ADD:

Just found this on CNN, couldnt add it to the op since its past 4 hours...
edit on 9-8-2011 by WeBrooklyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

as long as the ice is floating freely in the water and is not grounded it does not matter if some of it is above the sea level it will have displaced all the water it is going to. think about it like this does the water support the entire weight of a ship or just the portion below the water line much of the ice on Greenland and Antarctica is not in the water and will indeed raise the sea level significantly if it should happen to make it into the ocean

Thats what I was thinking last night, the icebergs broke off but at that size, above water, melting, it just adds on to the other icebergs around the world that are melting and raising sea levels

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

ok i'm starting to grasp it but then the experiment of the glass and icecubes was flawed imho. because the ice above water was unsubstantial and if he added one more cube it would've overflowed, don't you agree?

Agreed

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Ice caps in antartica experience bigger waves on a dailly bases, waves bigger, and stronger than the tsunami from Japan could and would have ever caused . So therefore i beleive the story to be false in its assumptions

Thanks I never knew Antarctica gets waves bigger than what the tsunami caused, can you please explain how and why this happens? How exactly do they get waves much bigger and stronger than what the tsunami carried???

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

If the cavesystems was big enough yes. But its unlikely a island could stay above water on thin pillars of land/rock/stone.....Then again it might be able to brake of a big chunk of land if its a huge cavesystem. Offcause this landmass wouldent float away like some new island but would crumble into the smashed cavesystem...maybe create a mudflood.

Another interesting thought

I didnt think of cavesystems...

Honestly I was thinking of places like the Philippines, New Guinea, Indonesia, Taiwan, as you know they are small land masses south of Japan....

Obviously the waves had to have passed under one or all of these places, so I was just wondering what are the chances of the waves also changing the land under the surface

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
regardless if icebergs raise the sea level over time as they melt or all at once when they enter the water. Ice Bergs do indicate that ice is breaking up and melting. Often the come from ice shelves that are in the sea yet these same shelves may act as damns slowing the release of Glaciers into the ocean.

you raised a point regarding how little of the ice in the glass was above the water level well it is the same with sea ice: it floats with only a small portion above the water level. So if you choose to believe that the ice melting into the water will further raise the level you might note that even then it would only be by a relatively small amount.

I guess you could build a little floaty for your ice cube and float it above the surface of a full to the brim cup of water and see if when the ice cube melts it overflows....

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBrooklyn
reply to post by meathed

Thanks I never knew Antarctica gets waves bigger than what the tsunami caused, can you please explain how and why this happens? How exactly do they get waves much bigger and stronger than what the tsunami carried???

...one explanation could be "calving"...

...there was an incident in alaska back in the 60s (i think, couldve been late 50s) where a massive "calving" created such a devastating wave that the surrounding land was purty much wiped clean, even way high up on the mountains... somewhere online is a video made by a man and his son who were there, in a boat, when it happened...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i am on the west coast of usa, in oregon, when that earthquake happened our city as well as many others got tsunami warnings we were all told to evacuate, so i packed up my car and got ready

and hour or two before it arrived we were being told Hawaii didnt really get anything so we were probably in the clear, but to be cautious and ready just in case,

so i parked my car on the beach facing the waves and recorded the ocean the moment it was said to hit us

nothing happened,

all day the ocean did not even come into the beach anywhere near how much it does during high tide.

so how then did the tsunami which couldnt reach america, cause devastation in Antarctica!

heres the video i recorded of the extremely (thankfully) uneventful tsunami arrival

www.youtube.com...

we where told the tsunami would hit us at about 7:30 am, the first half of this recording is at 8:00 am, and the second half is at 8:30 am.

i had sat there waiting with my camera from 6am, - 9 am.

edit on 8/10/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join